HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Today, 12:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

9C and sunny in Moncton at 8 AM, going up to 25C this afternoon.

High temperatures for the seven day forecast period are generally in the 26-28C range, above normal for this time of year. Aside from some thunderstorm activity predicted for tomorrow afternoon, it will remain quite dry and sunny throughout

Inch Arran lighthouse, near Dalhousie NB, Leigh Walsh on Facebook.

Old Posted Today, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I've never personally been to Corner Brook, but my middle son did a training rotation there for several months a few years ago and really liked it. He still talks about it.

Currently 12C and sunny in Moncton at 9 AM, going up to 21C this afternoon.

Wall to wall sunshine in the seven day extended forecast.

Covered bridge, Saint Martin's NB, Roy Morris, Facebook

This is a very rare newly constructed covered bridge. The province almost never does this. It replaced a pre-existing covered bridge. The usual provincial strategy is to let the old bridge collapse, and, either not replace it, or replace it with a (permanent) Bailey bridge. They can get away with this since most remaining covered bridges in province are on remote secondary or tertiary roads. This crossing however leads to the western entrance to the Fundy Trail, and since this is a major tourism route, the province went whole hog with a divided structure, tall enough for motor homes to get through.

The only other "new" covered bridge in the province is in Fundy National Park. It also replaced a pre-existing bridge, accidently blown up with dynamite during a road reconstruction project. Like the St. Martin's bridge, it was reconstructed in it's old format for tourism reasons.

It's such a simple thing -- a short, covered bridge. But due to the lack of them now it's unique and therefore special. This just reminded me that there's one in Waterloo County. This month I am driving to Guelph and Orangeville and on another trip, to KWC. As usual, I will take the time to explore other towns in the area, especially those I've never been to. This bridge is right between the respective routes I'll be taking.

The West Montrose Bridge is the only one remaining in Ontario. If you didn't make this post, I totally would have forgotten about it and gone about my routes and possibly missed it. If there are attraction signs about it along my route then I'd probaly go, but I have no idea if there is.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada