HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I really do not understand why people are so determined to make a "year round farmers market" a thing in Winnipeg with seemingly no clue why there isn't one. Here is a big hint, go talk to some of the local veggie farmers and ask them.

Local crops don't really come into season until July and by Thanksgiving its basically done for the season. Conservatively that means the market needs to run about eight months out of the year without any farmers. At that point what you have left is not really any different than those pop-up Christmas markets that show up.

The other thing people seem to have conveniently forgotten is that Winnipeg used to have a "year round farmers market" but it failed and morphed into something very different for a lot of reasons I mentioned.
Honestly this just screams typical small-minded Winnipegger. Dream bigger my dude, stop being so constrained by the local produce growing season. Next thing you know, you'll be telling me that my year-round outdoor pool and waterpark proposal is a bad idea in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Honestly this just screams typical small-minded Winnipegger. Dream bigger my dude, stop being so constrained by the local produce growing season. Next thing you know, you'll be telling me that my year-round outdoor pool and waterpark proposal is a bad idea in Winnipeg.

Farmers markets don't need to be exclusively for farmers. Green grocers used to import and sell at these types of markets. Winter squashes, carrots, onions, potatoes and apples are just some examples of produce that can last well into winter if stored properly. Canned and preserved goods are also a possibility.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Farmers markets don't need to be exclusively for farmers. Green grocers used to import and sell at these types of markets. Winter squashes, carrots, onions, potatoes and apples are just some examples of produce that can last well into winter if stored properly. Canned and preserved goods are also a possibility.
Yeah it's a shame there isn't anywhere else in the city where people can find carrots, onions, and potatoes from November to April.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Yeah it's a shame there isn't anywhere else in the city where people can find carrots, onions, and potatoes from November to April.
My dude - have you never been to a place like Granville Market?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 8:41 PM

As I recall, that is exactly what they tried at the Forks...and it didn't seem to work.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 8:51 PM

Someone please explain to me how the Edmonton Old Strathcona, Saskatoon and Brandon Farmers Markets are able to operate year-round, but in Winnipeg its supposedly not viable.

I can't wait to hear the excus........err reasons for this.

Last edited by Justanothermember; Sep 11, 2024 at 12:35 AM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 9:17 PM

Not saying it can't...just that it didn't. One of the differences with Granville vs Forks is that Granville is surrounded by residential. Before the developments on Waterfront and increased residential downtown, there was not much residential in walking distance of the forks. With railside, that could change the dynamics for a year round market.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
Not saying it can't...just that it didn't. One of the differences with Granville vs Forks is that Granville is surrounded by residential. Before the developments on Waterfront and increased residential downtown, there was not much residential in walking distance of the forks. With railside, that could change the dynamics for a year round market.
Luckily the Roland Michener is surrounded by kms of residential.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 9:55 PM

Honestly there is a need for this, lots of local producers making all kinds of stuff. would be nice to have a year round place for them to set up shop and sell. there is, like mentioned above, vegetables and fruits that can be stored into winter, but also meats and cheeses, honey, baked goods, canned items, and hand crafted items like soaps, candles and folk art. It would allow all kinds of artisanal crafts people to have a place instead of relying on the summer months and the occasional expos through winter.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
There are 925 apartments in Fort Garry place alone, with dozens of other apartment buildings surrounding it, all a five to ten minute walk away. Most have been there since the forks opened. Railside will have all the excitement of waterfront drive. In fact I’d put money on it actually hurting the businesses at the forks overall.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 10:45 PM

How could railside possibly hurt the businesses at the Forks? Please don’t say parking…

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
There are 925 apartments in Fort Garry place alone, with dozens of other apartment buildings surrounding it, all a five to ten minute walk away. Most have been there since the forks opened. Railside will have all the excitement of waterfront drive. In fact I’d put money on it actually hurting the businesses at the forks overall.
Even a 5-10 minute walk was not worth the effort for a market that sold little more than gourds and corn at the time. Back then, downtowners could walk nearly the same distance to the grocery stores at The Bay or Eaton's and get everything they need. With those options long gone, and new housing at the Forks, a sustainable full-service market might finally be feasible.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tall Forehead View Post
How could railside possibly hurt the businesses at the Forks? Please don’t say parking…
Probably because there may be teachers living in Railside, and we know that teacher are evil /s

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Luckily the Roland Michener is surrounded by kms of residential.
And the city sold off the parking lot for the arena so all the retailers and customers will have to park on all the surrounding streets which should make the residents very happy.

Somehow I don't think potential customers are going to walk from blocks away to it.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 2:56 PM

I looked at the city report last night and the class 4 (not tendered) estimate to renovate the former arena is almost $8 million.

As the building use is changing there are a lot of renovations required to bring it up to code to get an occupancy permit.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 3:10 PM

Ashdown Market in the Exchange have fruit & veggies, not 100% but i believe their prices are much higher than grocery chains. As others have mentioned, Forks "farmer market" didnt survive as typically their prices are higher than grocery stores. in saying all that, I love "the vibe" of Granville Market in Van or Jean Talon Market in Montreal, so 100% I'd like to see more of that and competitive prices. Many times markets end up being Epicure, Tupperware and wood sign booths.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
Probably because there may be teachers living in Railside, and we know that teacher are evil /s
lol! That’s awesome! But what teacher would want to live there, they’re building million dollar shacks out in headingly. Plus no safe parking for their $80,000 SUV’s. It’s not like there’s schools to walk too to work near there.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 4:45 PM

I'm sort of surprised that there was no interest in converting the arena into multi pickleball courts with the new popularity of pickleball?

It would probably be a less costly conversion than to a farmers market.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 1:59 AM

Two recently announced addictions recovery centres for Winnipeg:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ward-1.7320857

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ntre-1.7318975

Of the two, the one in Lindenwoods surprised me. I was sure local protests would kill it, but it looks like it's going forward.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Of the two, the one in Lindenwoods surprised me. I was sure local protests would kill it, but it looks like it's going forward.
I'm relieved to hear that the pearl-clutching Lindenwoods NIMBYS didn't prevail. They're a minority, but a very vocal one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan