HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
(sigh) Okay lady, so how about we delay the next assault indefinitely until you can address those root causes?

People like these create a hundred more Conservative voters every time they open their mouths.
Its like the damage done to victims of these criminals has no bearing on any potential solutions.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 8:32 PM

What a f**king joke:

Vancouver assault suspect released from custody without charges
By Amy Judd Global News
Posted September 10, 2024 9:36 am

A man accused of dragging a young woman into an alley and threatening to stab her has been released from custody.

Vancouver police said the 23-year-old victim was leaving work in East Vancouver around 9 p.m. on Saturday when she was grabbed from behind by a man with a knife.

She was taken into a nearby laneway but three passers-by intervened and the suspect fled.

He was later arrested nearly 30 blocks away.

Vancouver police said they have seized the man’s car and recovered weapons but charges have not yet been approved by Crown counsel.

The 59-year-old has been released with a promise to appear in court at a later date.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10742431/...eased-custody/

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 8:47 PM

Plaster his photo all over the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 10:55 PM

Is our judicial system intentionally planting the seeds for local community vigilante groups to form?

I really do wonder how much more of this lax catch and release on obviously dangerous criminals people are going to take until some start taking the law into their own hands.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Is our judicial system intentionally planting the seeds for local community vigilante groups to form?

I really do wonder how much more of this lax catch and release on obviously dangerous criminals people are going to take until some start taking the law into their own hands.
One of the great ideas commonly brought up by some criminal justice reform types is the need for "community policing."

Pretty sure the US used to have a lot of "community policing."

Not a great path to go down.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 11:29 PM

Oh trust me, I don’t want vigilante Justice, because that’s when a lot of bad things can go down, but our current system seems to be igniting the embers for such nonsense to start with their current lack of regard for public safety. It really feels that the violent criminals are given preference over the victims currently.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 11:31 PM

the subject on CKNW on my way home is the need to re-open or have a new "riverview" as there are just too many incidents and too many people who should be in there just left on their own. The guy who killed someone last week and severed the hand of another was on probation, in the past he refused psychiatric treatment and there is no way to force someone into care as there had been in the past.

This seems to be something happening globally though, there was a story in the UK about 10 or so days ago, an 80-year-old senior was out walking his dog at a park when a 14-year-old and some 12-year-olds attacked him for no reason, he later died from the attack. The 12-year-olds were released, I haven't heard what happened with the older one.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Oh trust me, I don’t want vigilante Justice, because that’s when a lot of bad things can go down, but our current system seems to be igniting the embers for such nonsense to start with their current lack of regard for public safety. It really feels that the violent criminals are given preference over the victims currently.
this sort of recently happened in the UK in that attack where 3 kids died at some dance in Wales. Someone online blamed it on refugees staying at or being housed at a hotel and put out a call to attack them and the hotel etc. Many of the people involved have since been charged and some got sentenced already.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 1:34 AM

There needs to be some sort of reform in the judicial system. I dont understand how this revolving door even got into place and consequences no longer seem to apply to certain segments of society.

Is this a federal issue or a provincial one? I would like to know to take to the ballot.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 2:21 PM

Another major problem is the concentration of all this social housing in the downtown area. These addicts come from all over the Lower Mainland and make their way downtown, and we end up housing them all in our neighbourhoods. It is not fair. Let each city take on their fair share.

Now these addicts feel strength in numbers and feel like they can smash windows, assault people without fear.

I try to be sympathetic, but it is difficult at this point. Every time I walk by an addict, I feel a strong resentment towards them.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 4:28 PM

I think bail reform is the major issue. It's the people who are habitual career criminals still walking around, maybe they are on drugs, maybe they have mental issues, maybe not.

They need to be locked up.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 7:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Governments have an interest in keeping as many people out of jail as possible because keeping them in is very very expensive.

You and your family's personal safety are a secondary consideration. More and more so these days in fact.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Governments have an interest in keeping as many people out of jail as possible because keeping them in is very very expensive.

You and your family's personal safety are a secondary consideration. More and more so these days in fact.
Yes definitely. I wonder what PP's plan is to fund all of the prisons they'll need to build to house all the people he will put there.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 7:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Yes definitely. I wonder what PP's plan is to fund all of the prisons they'll need to build to house all the people he will put there.
There is no plan.

There is basically no plan from anyone in any (viable) party to address any of the issues that are increasingly worrying many Canadians.

Nothing will really change under the Conservatives. (This doesn't mean that the Liberals don't deserve to get turfed.)

Canada is not unique among western countries when it comes to this inertia.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Probably the same place Trudeau was getting his money for free dental care for all.

Last edited by whatnext; Sep 12, 2024 at 11:12 PM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 4:46 PM

Wow, I can't believe I just saw a dead person on the street today while walking to work. The deceased was covered in white cloth with police tape all around in front of the rundown 1119 Hornby St SRO building. I am guessing OD but who knows. Just like that, another life snuffed out due to our over-liberal policies on drugs and crime.

The amazing thing is that the area is completely cleared of riff-raff: something unseen in this neighbourhood for at least a decade now.

Another kicker is that right across the street is an ultra-luxurious condo building, and nearby the 4-star Sheraton Hotel with tourists and visitors milling about.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is no plan.

There is basically no plan from anyone in any (viable) party to address any of the issues that are increasingly worrying many Canadians.

Nothing will really change under the Conservatives. (This doesn't mean that the Liberals don't deserve to get turfed.)

Canada is not unique among western countries when it comes to this inertia.
Ken Sim and this coalition of mayors are demanding something to be done. Making addicts go cold turkey and locking up insane and dangerous individuals could be in the works now: at least ABC is acknowledging the importance of taking such actions now, unlike the appalling lackadaisical attitude of previous administrations.

Quote:
Several BC mayors form coalition over "broken" addictions and public safety systems
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanc...tems-coalition

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 4:53 PM

Are most of the people convicted of violent stranger attacks connected with addiction?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 7:28 PM

Dissecting this (I'm presuming your account of events is accurate):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Wow, I can't believe I just saw a dead person on the street today while walking to work. FACT
The deceased was covered in white cloth with police tape all around in front of the rundown 1119 Hornby St SRO building. FACT
I am guessing OD but who knows. REASONABLE GUESS
Just like that, another life snuffed out due to our over-liberal policies on drugs and crime. OPINION PRESENTED AS "FACT"

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 9:29 PM

Footage of the front lines. It's always a shock how Western society tolerates this insanity. As a first generation immigrant to Canada, I always defend the rule of law, the common law, and other institutions that make Canada better than the country I came from. But one of Western society's biggest faults is its acceptance of degeneracy. To an extent you cannot have liberal values and freedom without being accepting of people. But there is a limit and over the past two decades most Western societies broke through the red line.

Driving through East Hastings is not enough. Watch it through the eyes of someone that's new to the city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFUR1XJV4Rc

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues