HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 7, 2024, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
Quite a difference from my visit to Vancouver over the weekend where they are building 50-60 story condo Towers along MetroTown and Brentwood Transit Centers. Amazing construction there.

Two different worlds.

Edmonton will always be small potato's. Strange they always come up with the lamest rebuttals, well, we have lots of land blah blah. NOT in the core lol.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2024, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post

Very Impressive......always good to see this kind of (Upward) progress even in the Suburbs Even when people think wooden 6 stories in the core are cool

Old Posted Sep 7, 2024, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Edmonton will always be small potato's. Strange they always come up with the lamest rebuttals, well, we have lots of land blah blah. NOT in the core lol.
I would agree with you.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2024, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Quite a difference from my visit to Vancouver over the weekend where they are building 50-60 story condo Towers along MetroTown and Brentwood Transit Centers. Amazing construction there.

Two different worlds.
^metro economies are quite different. Edmonton has grown quite a bit, but mostly industrial. Very little growth of employment in the core. Until Microsoft, Amazon, etc...those kinds of employers choose Edmonton downtown to locate, you will always end up with what we have.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 2:20 AM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 3:47 PM
Community Guy

Some amazing shots.
---

ERA Architects Inc.

🎓This week’s theme showcases ERA’s work in the educational sector across Canada. Happy back to school season!

First up takes us to Edmonton and the University of Alberta.

ERA Architects and GEC Architecture collaborated to redevelop the historic Dentistry Pharmacy Building (now known as University Commons) designed by the distinguished Percy Nobbs. The project brought new teaching, academic, and administrative spaces to campus while preserving the 1922 building’s cherished historic features.

https://www.linkedin.com/company/era...BGkQ7BuQ%3D%3D

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 5:00 PM
Community Guy

Approved without debate! This will be a great addition to the area and good scale.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 9:18 PM

Townhomes along 105 st and along 81 ave it looks like?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 10:31 PM
Community Guy

Live-work I hope and would make more sense.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 12:49 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

That's the old church site behind Chianti's?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 12:59 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:

Two different worlds.
Well, land economics are different when you factor in limited land for development due to physical constraints like oceans, mountains along with a slew of policies that limit development such as Agricultural Land Reserves. So yeah, the only place you can develop is up.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 5:39 PM

The real war should be against detached home properties. They wouldn't need as many super tall high rises if they had more medium density everywhere. Low density is the biggest impediment to Metro Vancouver's liveability goals.

Through all its criticisms, Blatchford is a gift to Edmonton and I commend CoE for sticking to their guns on their vision for the site. Fitting 16 house sized homes plus 16 secondary suites where 8-12 detached homes would normally fit.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
The real war should be against detached home properties. They wouldn't need as many super tall high rises if they had more medium density everywhere. Low density is the biggest impediment to Metro Vancouver's liveability goals.

Through all its criticisms, Blatchford is a gift to Edmonton and I commend CoE for sticking to their guns on their vision for the site. Fitting 16 house sized homes plus 16 secondary suites where 8-12 detached homes would normally fit.
War?

That escalated rapidly.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 3:25 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
That's the old church site behind Chianti's?
Indeed it is. This, plus Cidex's South Scona project kitty corner will make these few blocks south of Whyte feel WAY better once developed.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 4:01 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Indeed it is. This, plus Cidex's South Scona project kitty corner will make these few blocks south of Whyte feel WAY better once developed.
Suuuuure will.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 4:29 PM
Community Guy

All it needs is a Subway and Starbucks to really scream 'we've made it!'

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
A testament to how social engineering doesnt work.

Sohi is today complaining the the budget is maxed out for the foreseeable future and the new City council will be just trying to keep the lights on.

Meanwhile Blatchford is housing maybe 150 people at an expense of $631 M for the site and another $291 M for the LRT to go there.

Add that to the composting and recycling programs that are hugely expensive and result in most things going in the landfill, and we have a lot of people paying a lot of money in taxes so a few people can mistakenly believe they are changing the world.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 11:04 PM

^ waste of time and money - this project started when - 2016?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducey View Post
A testament to how social engineering doesnt work.

Sohi is today complaining the the budget is maxed out for the foreseeable future and the new City council will be just trying to keep the lights on.

Meanwhile Blatchford is housing maybe 150 people at an expense of $631 M for the site and another $291 M for the LRT to go there.

Add that to the composting and recycling programs that are hugely expensive and result in most things going in the landfill, and we have a lot of people paying a lot of money in taxes so a few people can mistakenly believe they are changing the world.
Great concepts but expensive ones that drive up the cost of the area so that it's just an enclave for a few dozen families at this point. Biggest boondoggle in Edmonton history if you ask me is both Blatchford and the North LRT to nowhere...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 3:31 PM

Spawl is still more damaging to budgets IHO. Services have to go out to those newer areas but you sill have to maintain or upgrade existing in the older parts.

Blatchford is not the expense sink people believe. The LRTs are all funded by 3 levels of Gov.

Lets stop building out and redevelop older underused areas.

But thats just my opinion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton