HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 6:40 PM

View of the Ocean View and Telus Living cranes from city centre.

Just out of view to the right Arc 21

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 6:49 PM

Commercial Street remake

The downtown Commercial Street remake gets underway. Leaving it inaccesible to vehicle traffic for the next few months.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2024, 6:27 PM

Looks like there's fencing that's up around that old Howard Johnson hotel site, for that massive mixed use tower project. There's a sign that says ' future mixed use development ' - looks like this will actually be going through ?

by the way, moved here from Saskatoon sk last year for a job transfer. Longtime poster and MB/SK MOD.

love what Nanaimo has to offer and looking forward to these current, upcoming, and proposed projects here. There's definitely a ton of opportunity.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2024, 10:20 PM

HoJo site

Visited the HoJo site and saw the new chain link fence. Demolition of the hotel is supposed to get underway this fall. Encouraged to see the mixed use plans. I believe the plans of the earlier developer were before council and generally approved.

Just noticed today that the site is adjacent to the Trans Canada Trail.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 3:40 PM

Downtoen revitalization

The first phase of reconstruction of Commercial Street has started and it will be a construction zone there until the spring.

Work began Tuesday, Sept. 3, and involves below-ground infrastructure upgrades that shut down Commercial Street between Wharf and Church streets.

Quote:
"If a vibrant downtown is often considered the heart of a community, then the 'Design Commercial' project is the defibrillator that will bring a new rhythm to downtown Nanaimo," said Mayor Leonard Krog in a press release
https://www.nanaimobulletin.com/loca...spring-7522673

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 7:55 PM

Walking downtown....

The Beacon

Coast Bastion

Pacifica

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 10:00 PM
Project manger

How out of date is this?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 1:36 PM

Quote:
How out of date is this?
Picture was taken 23 May 2009

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...o_aerial_4.jpg

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 8:45 PM

Is Nanaimo becoming a suburb of Vancouver?

More and more I'm coming across people from Vancouver, or the Lower Mainland, who have moved to Nanaimo because of better housing options. Many still work in Vancouver but they are not required to be at the workplace 5 days a week.

I was curious to know what transportation options were available and what the costs might be. It quickly became evident that faster equalled more expensive and that high frequency trips were offered by only a couple of carriers.

I've created a list of five carriers strictly using travel times (minus waiting /boarding time). Prices are variable in most cases. Three of the carriers are downtown to downtown with two being about 30 minutes out from Vancouver City center. All fares are one way.

The outliers:

Air Canada 15 minutes $127

BC Ferries (Departure Bay) 1 hour 40 minutes $20

Downtown to downtown:

Harbour Air 20 minutes average fare $129

Helijet 20 minutes average fare $167

Hullo Ferries (passenger only) 70 minutes average fare $40

Images courtesy of service providers

Old Posted Sep 13, 2024, 2:07 PM

More South End housing

Quote:
...proposed as 103 units in a five-storey building. 49 one-bedroom units, 54 two-bedroom units

Two levels of underground parking will be included, with half of the 169 spaces equipped with electric vehicle chargers.
Inclusion of 85 EV chargers is impressive.

http://https://nanaimonewsnow.com/20...gs-in-nanaimo/

Old Posted Sep 13, 2024, 2:17 PM

A building permit has been issued for a four-storey, multi-family development with 17 rental units at 116 Pryde Ave.

nanaimonewsnow

Old Posted Sep 14, 2024, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandtime View Post
More and more I'm coming across people from Vancouver, or the Lower Mainland, who have moved to Nanaimo because of better housing options. Many still work in Vancouver but they are not required to be at the workplace 5 days a week.

I was curious to know what transportation options were available and what the costs might be. It quickly became evident that faster equalled more expensive and that high frequency trips were offered by only a couple of carriers.

I've created a list of five carriers strictly using travel times (minus waiting /boarding time). Prices are variable in most cases. Three of the carriers are downtown to downtown with two being about 30 minutes out from Vancouver City center. All fares are one way.

The outliers:

Downtown to downtown:

Hullo is by far the most viable I think for a commuter, price + convenience taken into account, which is why it's great that option presented itself. $75 return for a 70 minute trip downtown to downtown is doable if it's 1-2 times a week at most. This is a shorter trip than people commuting from Langley or further out would take.

But hopefully you're realizing truly substantial savings commuting from a job in Nanaimo.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2024, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
Hullo is by far the most viable I think for a commuter, price + convenience taken into account, which is why it's great that option presented itself. $75 return for a 70 minute trip downtown to downtown is doable if it's 1-2 times a week at most. This is a shorter trip than people commuting from Langley or further out would take.

But hopefully you're realizing truly substantial savings commuting from a job in Nanaimo.
I've been looking for a comparable twice weekly commutng situation on the Mainland. One that was car/bus/skytrain dependent. I lived in Squamish for a few years so thought I'd try that comparison.

Distance and time to Vancouver:

Nanaimo - 59km/ 70 minutes fast ferry
Squamish - 64km/55 minutes car

Monthly cost:

Nanaimo - fast ferry return: @ $75 per day = $600 per month
Squamish - car: $370 per month
This figure excludes premium 'drive to work' insurance and vehicle depreciaton.

The two seem comparable in both time and expense. The fast ferry wins because you can relax with a coffee rather than worry about traffic. If Hullo could offer a reduced frequent traveller rate it would be no contest.

I based my Squamish estimate on a reddit post from five months ago.

Quote:
Been commuting to yaletown from squamish twice a week since October. I usually spend around $250 on gas and $120 for parking monthly (specifically for commute to work, does not include other commute)
http://https://www.reddit.com/r/Squamish/thinking_about_making_the_move_to_squamish_but/

Old Posted Sep 14, 2024, 8:56 PM

Quote:

The outliers:

Downtown to downtown:

Westjet also Fly’s YCD-YVR. BC Ferries Duke Point- Tsawwassen as well.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 3:03 PM

New ferries coming...

According to a news release from BCFerries Corporation five new ferries with passenger capacity 50% higher and car capacity 25% higher than current vessels will start arriving in 2029. It is assumed they will service the two Nanaimo routes and possibly Victoria.

Quote:
VICTORIA, BC – BC Ferries is taking a major step forward in its New Major Vessels (NMV) project, marking a critical milestone in the company’s largest capital investment ever.

To address projected population growth, replace aging vessels, and meet customer expectations, BC Ferries is now continuing the procurement process for the first five of seven new vessels needed for its busiest routes, with the remaining two new vessels to be built in a later phase.

BC Ferries has designed the new vessels in collaboration with LMG Marin, a leading naval architecture and ship design firm, to be able to carry up to 360 standard-sized vehicles and 2,100 passengers, marking a significant capacity increase from the 250-310 vehicles and 1,200-1,500 passengers that the retiring vessels currently accommodate. They will also be among the largest double-ended ferries in the world, with significantly improved energy efficiency and propulsion systems designed for both future flexibility and environmentally sustainable operations.
Full news release: BCFerries

Conceptual render of proposed new ferries:

Image courtesy: nanaimonewsbulletin

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 5:54 PM

Quote:
....It is assumed they will service the two Nanaimo routes and possibly Victoria....
As I understand it, these are replacements for the C-Class ferries (Queen of Alberni/Coquitlam/Cowichan/Oak Bay/Surrey). The plan is to have seven new ships in total, although the recent announcement indicates that this will be split into five ships now followed by two more at a future date. The Queen of New Westminster and the Queen of Surrey will get maintenance work to extend their lifespan in the interim.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
As I understand it, these are replacements for the C-Class ferries (Queen of Alberni/Coquitlam/Cowichan/Oak Bay/Surrey). The plan is to have seven new ships in total, although the recent announcement indicates that this will be split into five ships now followed by two more at a future date. The Queen of New Westminster and the Queen of Surrey will get maintenance work to extend their lifespan in the interim.
You are correct, they are replacing the C class, also known as the Cowichan class, ferries. They will, it seems, be assigned to routes 2, 3 and 30, which service Horseshoe Bay-Langdale, Horseshoe Bay-Departure Bay and Duke Point Tsawwassen.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 4:26 PM

Almost two weeks since last update....

Arc 21 - aka 340 Campbell

Telus Living

Ocean View

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 7:22 PM

New development on the waterfront

Development is underway on Stewart Avenue following the demolition of a few buildings. Renderings or images of the development are as of now unavailable. Following a...
Quote:
partnership to purchase the former Bluenose Marina & Chowder House, Evening Cove Oysters and Iron Wok site at 1340-1370 Stewart Avenue, setting in motion a major redevelopment of the waterfront site.

“We have completed the in-water demolition and kick off construction of Nanaimo’s premier marina with nine, 75-130 foot boat sheds and several hundred feet of open-air moorage complete with a new seawall and parking areas,” states Tony Harris. “Phase Two is an over-water restaurant and redevelopment of the upland properties. This will establish a new standard for redevelopment on Stewart Avenue and help to reinvigorate the neighborhood.”

Big changes coming to Stewart Avenue

Last edited by Islandtime; Sep 22, 2024 at 6:17 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2024, 7:43 PM

77 Chapel has received an updated building permit

The original approved concept for 77 Chapel from 2018

https://nanaimonewsnow.com/2018/06/2...-st-high-rise/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia