HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:42 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
The LCBO gets the wholesale money anyway, regardless of where you buy it, and that's where the LCBO makes most of its money. Retail margins are pretty slim (for all the bellyaching about Loblaws prices, for example, only about 4% on average of the money you spend at the till actually ends up being Loblaws profits). The greed in the food & drink industry isn't with the grocers. It's the middlemen, and especially with the huge multinationals that make the stuff. I wish people would spend less time trying to boycott Loblaws and more time trying to boycott PepsiCo (among other examples).

If you want to support our workers here in Ontario and promote living wages with your booze dollars, the most important thing to do is purchase local products. That counts for more than buying it from the LCBO.
I'm getting a crash course in Canadian retail

But I agree support your province's local businesses. In Ontario for many of us on the topic of alcohol that's the craft breweries, distilleries, cideries/meaderies, and wineries if you can.

I must admit although living in Niagara with 100+ wineries now, I still prefer wine from Spain and Portugal... purchased from the LCBO

Still doesn't change the fact that Galen Weston is basically a Canadian Oligarch owning the largest grocery chain and largest pharmacy retail store chain in the country and has a very punchable face that's easy to place the blame of all Canadian consumer's frustrations on

The fact that No Frills is no longer a discount grocery store really grinds my gears and they are creating no name branded stores as the new discount grocery in the Loblaws portfolio

https://retail-insider.com/bulletin/...no-name-store/

But I do see your point about the middlemen and the PepsiCo type companies with too much power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
As mentioned the LCBO will remain the purchaser so they will still receive revenue, even with the small discount for wholesale purchase offered to retailers. The Beer Store is the worst option in this regard as it's owned by a conglomerate of large brewers that has/had a monopoly deal for distribution of large-format beer in the Province.

I'll likely still go to the LCBO mostly as when I'm getting booze it's usually a combo of hard liquor, beer and wine and there's one close to us. Though honestly we probably purchase the most directly from craft brewers and wineries, or local bottle shops that carry products you can't get in the LCBO.
I talked to a guy at my local Beer Store a while back. He told me it used to be a livable wage but now starting out is basically no different than any retail job in Ontario and it's almost all part time workers across the province. Conglomerate breweries are a bunch of greedy bastards.

I'm fully on board with watching The Beer Store lose market share.

You're doing your part supporting Ontario businesses

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:47 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
From their stable of brands, we currently have Pita Pit (4), Milestones, Second Cup (2) and Quesada. We are getting a Noodle Box. We used to have Freshii and Copper Branch, but they failed (Monctonians are not vegetarians).

I think la Belle et la Boeuf would be really popular here, especially in the entertainment district around the Avenir Centre where several popular restaurants are (or will) set up shop, including Baton Rouge, Carrabbas and Monck 10.
MonctonRad, the price of Freshii dishes alone is enough to make most Canadians balk. It appears their downtown St. Catharines location has closed as well

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:57 PM
sick transit, gloria

Just went to the Circle K in Napanee and checked out the beer aisle (wasn't buying just curious). They have a couple rows dedicated to craft and as expected the bigger craft breweries were represented- skus from Steamwhistle, Beaus, Great Lakes, Collective Arts and Cowbell. One thing of note was that *all* craft cans were priced at $3.44. For GLB Canuck this is $.44 above LCBO retail, but for Collective Arts Life in the Clouds it's actually $.45 under! Not sure if this is an error or they are averaging out costs based on bulk purchases, plus unlike the LCBO they may charge tax. Also didn't bother checking dates to see how old the stock is.

Interestingly the local LCBO doesn't have some of these skus as it leans heavier towards Eastern Ontario breweries. There was nowhere in town to get Canuck, which is my go to easy drinking beer. That being said I usually get a 2-4 for $54 direct from the brewery which lasts a while, or a weekend up here with friends.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:59 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
MonctonRad, the price of Freshii dishes alone is enough to make most Canadians balk. It appears their downtown St. Catharines location has closed as well
Not to mention the video ordering screens they had with "employees" located overseas. That didn't sit well with anyone. Enough veggie options around these days it's not as much of a draw too.

https://gizmodo.com/want-to-order-fo...-em-1848844961

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:20 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Not to mention the video ordering screens they had with "employees" located overseas. That didn't sit well with anyone. Enough veggie options around these days it's not as much of a draw too.

That sounds much worse than I imagined

I hope corporations like this die.

Old Posted Today, 12:06 AM

Quote:

LA BELLE ET LA BOEUF

Beauty and the Beef - a great name for a restaurant.

The menu is staggering for it's variety of burgers. Has anyone ever tried it???

I'm intrigued.
I've been to it a couple of times in Saint-Jérome just North of Montreal. The last time we shared the appetizer platter and also a big salad with strawberries and goat cheese and other things on it. Everything was very good and as Acajack stated, definitely high-calorie food.

Old Posted Today, 12:20 AM

Quote:
From their stable of brands, we currently have Pita Pit (4), Milestones, Second Cup (2) and Quesada. We are getting a Noodle Box. We used to have Freshii and Copper Branch, but they failed (Monctonians are not vegetarians).

I think la Belle et la Boeuf would be really popular here, especially in the entertainment district around the Avenir Centre where several popular restaurants are (or will) set up shop, including Baton Rouge, Carrabbas and Monck 10.
I was shocked to see that a Carrabbas has opened in Canada. I first ate at one years ago in Florida and now they have locations in many other states.

Italian chains are hard to do in Ontario with large Italian-Canadian populations in almost every city and many really good independent Italian restaurants. East Side Mario's does not count because it is pretty simplistic and none of my friends of Italian background will step foot in one. But I can't see Carrabbas moving into Ontario or the Montreal area but I can see it in some Atlantic cities and in the Western provinces where there aren't large Italian-Canadian populations.

Old Posted Today, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Just went to the Circle K in Napanee and checked out the beer aisle (wasn't buying just curious). They have a couple rows dedicated to craft and as expected the bigger craft breweries were represented- skus from Steamwhistle, Beaus, Great Lakes, Collective Arts and Cowbell. One thing of note was that *all* craft cans were priced at $3.44. For GLB Canuck this is $.44 above LCBO retail, but for Collective Arts Life in the Clouds it's actually $.45 under! Not sure if this is an error or they are averaging out costs based on bulk purchases, plus unlike the LCBO they may charge tax. Also didn't bother checking dates to see how old the stock is.

Interestingly the local LCBO doesn't have some of these skus as it leans heavier towards Eastern Ontario breweries. There was nowhere in town to get Canuck, which is my go to easy drinking beer. That being said I usually get a 2-4 for $54 direct from the brewery which lasts a while, or a weekend up here with friends.
Up until this week the LCBO and The Beer Store had to show prices that include tax and deposit.

I noticed that The Beer Store's website is now showing prices before tax and deposit.

I'm pretty sure that now only the LCBO has to show the final price. So be careful when you go to a convenience or grocery store because it will appear cheaper than it actually is.

Another thing about The Beer Store that I noticed is that they are now allowed to sell coolers and pre-mixed drinks. There have already been some store closures announced and there is an agreement where they will likely be closing or selling a lot of locations over the next few years.

Old Posted Today, 12:52 PM

Does anyone know anything about the company Placewise? I see some (former?) Ontario RioCan properties/malls now seem to be under their management? Is it just a branch of Riocans?

Old Posted Today, 2:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I was shocked to see that a Carrabbas has opened in Canada. I first ate at one years ago in Florida and now they have locations in many other states..
The owners of the local Tim Horton's in greater Moncton (all 36 locations) have used their fortune to become local developers. One of their properties is the new Hyatt Place Hotel across the street from the Avenir Centre downtown. They wanted a signature restaurant for the hotel. They vacation in Florida regularly, and, apparently Carrabbas was their go to restaurant down there. They lobbied the chain successfully, and they secured the first international Carrabbas franchise for Moncton.

I believe it is still the only Carrabbas location in Canada.

Old Posted Today, 3:20 PM

Quote:

That is probably preferable to the customer service you get in most places now.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada