HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
https://yfcfredericton.ca/Latest-New...eid=4cfae9cf5d

Traffic is up 23 percent in Fredericton. I believe this would put the airport well over the previous record year in 2019.
Impressive for YFC!

I recently booked the YSJ - Halifax route for two times in September. For anyone commuting to Halifax on a regular basis, what a fantastic service!! $400 round-trip is significantly less than my company pays for mileage and more convenient.

Not sure who much traction it will get, but if it eventually connects with AC flights as planned, I can see it being extremely strategic for YSJ.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
Impressive for YFC!

I recently booked the YSJ - Halifax route for two times in September. For anyone commuting to Halifax on a regular basis, what a fantastic service!! $400 round-trip is significantly less than my company pays for mileage and more convenient.

Not sure who much traction it will get, but if it eventually connects with AC flights as planned, I can see it being extremely strategic for YSJ.
I wonder if Fredericton - Halifax, Charlottetown - Halifax, and Moncton - Halifax might be next if the YQY and YSJ routes have a successful return.

Here is the latest route map for connections out of Halifax:

Hamilton service was suspended.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
I wonder if Fredericton - Halifax, Charlottetown - Halifax, and Moncton - Halifax might be next if the YQY and YSJ routes have a successful return.

Hamilton service was suspended.
Friends were pretty excited about the YHZ-Zurich flight starting next summer.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post

I certainly see the Fredericton/Charlottetown routes coming back at some point (though likely through Pascan also).

It may take some time, code sharing, and such before it its really viable. I would love to fly from Fredericton to Halifax to see the old in-laws, but the airport's distance from the city makes it not worth it for city to city travel. However, as code sharing increases connections through Halifax makes the route viable.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 2:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton/Halifax is iffy.

It's only a 2 hr 15 minute drive from Moncton to YHZ, and, if you are just going down to Haligon for the weekend, it is really just easier most of the time simply to drive.

YQM/YHZ does make sense in terms of airline connections, especially if you are on your way to Europe, but, a small puddle jumper like the one Pascan flies could be an issue in terms of luggage capacity. If most travellers are like my wife, they travel with the kitchen sink on their way overseas. Again, driving to YHZ might make sense because of this.

Personally I would like to see YQM/YHZ come back, just to provide people with choice.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2024, 11:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Reposted from the PEI thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusb View Post
YYG Charlottetown Airport - ATB Expansion Project

All info and images are provided by YYG Airport website,

MORE HERE > https://flyyyg.com/corporate/expansion/

Phase 1b - STARTING SUMMER 2024:

- Expansion to check-in hall to allow for more counters and space for passenger check-in.
- Additional office, storage, and operational space for airlines and ground handlers.
- Relocation and expansion of CAA administration offices and some tenants to 2nd floor.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2024, 2:57 PM
amalgamated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Reposted from the PEI thread:

Sounds like Charlottetown will have a better airport than both Fredericton and Saint John pretty soon.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
Sounds like Charlottetown will have a better airport than both Fredericton and Saint John pretty soon.
The airport will likely overtake the ferry in the near future for the second most important means of entry to the Island (Ferry transported 475,000 last year while the airport was 403,000). They should have a nice airport!

I think Charlottetown is likely to move into the 20th spot this year in Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...orts_in_Canada

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Moncton/Halifax is iffy.

It's only a 2 hr 15 minute drive from Moncton to YHZ, and, if you are just going down to Haligon for the weekend, it is really just easier most of the time simply to drive.

YQM/YHZ does make sense in terms of airline connections, especially if you are on your way to Europe, but, a small puddle jumper like the one Pascan flies could be an issue in terms of luggage capacity. If most travellers are like my wife, they travel with the kitchen sink on their way overseas. Again, driving to YHZ might make sense because of this.

Personally I would like to see YQM/YHZ come back, just to provide people with choice.
Now Moncton I believe you have been married for quite some time now and no doubt your betrothed travels like the Queen she is.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 11:34 PM

It's interesting that YSJ's catchment area is close to the same population as all of PEI yet they have less than half the passenger volume of YYG. Shows just how bad the leakage problem to BGR, Freddy and Moncton is for YSJ.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
It's interesting that YSJ's catchment area is close to the same population as all of PEI yet they have less than half the passenger volume of YYG. Shows just how bad the leakage problem to BGR, Freddy and Moncton is for YSJ.
YSJ doesnt have near the tourist traffic that YYG does during the summer months and that is the major difference.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Airport Competition, other (possibly more economical) means of travel, and proximity to destinations also plays in PEIs favor.

I say it all the time but you can not assume airport PAX based on population. Remoteness, lack of competition, and economics matter so much. Why is Halifax blowing London Ontario out of the water? Well it makes more sense to fly just about anywhere (compared to driving/rail), and there are no other reasonable airports to fly from. SJ has to deal with so many other flight options and driving is likely an option for more destinations than Charlottetown.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 10:20 AM

Yeah, YSJ is on a good highway network with connections to Moncton/Halifax/Freddy/Bangor, so comparing prices between those airports tends to make the other costs easier to ignore.

Technically Charlottetown is on the same network, but there's a 50$ surcharge for using it due to the bridge. So when comparing flights from Charlottetown vs Moncton, you have to add that to the cost (plus parking at Moncton and gas costs), so that gives Charlottetown an automatic 50$ advantage over SJ and Freddy (for example).

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 12:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Technically Charlottetown is on the same network, but there's a 50$ surcharge for using it due to the bridge. So when comparing flights from Charlottetown vs Moncton, you have to add that to the cost (plus parking at Moncton and gas costs), so that gives Charlottetown an automatic 50$ advantage over SJ and Freddy (for example).
And, speaking as a former Islander, people from PEI have a certain insular mindset that mainlanders don't really understand. This creates a psychological barrier to crossing the bridge to use other airports unless there is a really, really compelling reason (like a direct flight to LHR from YHZ).

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 12:17 AM

YSJ CEO, Sandy Ross, is speaking on September 12th’s episode of The Port Podcast. We may get some new info related to the airport.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 12:54 PM
amalgamated

The return of SJ<->Halifax flights!

Hopefully more of much more to come from YSJ.

Still think a Fredericton-Saint John combined airport is what is truly needed, but still good to see some more flight options out of YSJ. We could just have so much more if we teamed up with Fredericton... totally worth the long term investment in such a project, even if the average Baby Boomer on this might not live to see it become a reality.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 6:29 PM

https://media.aircanada.com/2024-09-...our-Disruption

Air Canada today said that it is finalizing contingency plans to suspend most of its operations. Talks between the company and the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA), representing more than 5,200 pilots at Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge, continue, but the parties remain far apart. Unless an agreement is reached, beginning on September 15, 2024, either party may issue a 72-hour strike or lock out notice, which would trigger the carrier's three-day wind down plan.

More found in the link

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 7:08 PM

Quote:
https://media.aircanada.com/2024-09-...our-Disruption

Air Canada today said that it is finalizing contingency plans to suspend most of its operations. Talks between the company and the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA), representing more than 5,200 pilots at Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge, continue, but the parties remain far apart. Unless an agreement is reached, beginning on September 15, 2024, either party may issue a 72-hour strike or lock out notice, which would trigger the carrier's three-day wind down plan.

More found in the link
Not Atlantic Canada Airport related...

The longest flight AC does is to Mumbai, as far as I can tell. 17h one way.

Not daily, but 3x a week. Popular for obvious reasons. A disruption here could ripple for a week or two easily.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleRequired View Post
Not Atlantic Canada Airport related...

The longest flight AC does is to Mumbai, as far as I can tell. 17h one way.

Not daily, but 3x a week. Popular for obvious reasons. A disruption here could ripple for a week or two easily.
.... I feel it is certainly Atlantic Canadian Airport related. Check your departures in any airport in the East and you will see Air Canada is the primary Carrier.

Regardless of how or when the system is stopped there are downstream affects in the region, and this is a major interruption.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 8:47 PM

Quote:
.... I feel it is certainly Atlantic Canadian Airport related. Check your departures in any airport in the East and you will see Air Canada is the primary Carrier.

Regardless of how or when the system is stopped there are downstream affects in the region, and this is a major interruption.
I was referring to my comment afterwards not being Atlantic related, not your post. Sorry!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces