HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
My main reason I prefer expressways without access roads is they tend to be more scenic. Highways with access roads don't look as nice, more to the point they look cluttered. There are ways, such as leaving some space between neighborhoods and the expressway where trees and other landscaping areas can be placed to separate the two. I can't think of any specific examples, however I have seen areas like that. Of course if the neighborhood is already existing or there is limited space, that is where you get the sound walls which detract from the scenery. Having said that, Mopac still looks nicer because the trees from the neighborhoods line the sides for the most part.
I just got back from Missouri. Their urban freeways are built more like Mopac, with extra wide right of ways that are mostly wooded - true parkways. Definitely more scenic, and I think they perform better traffic wise. The downside is that neighborhoods either side are even more separated than here. The less frequent entrances, exits and bridges across the freeways make the surrounding areas less bike and pedestrian friendly, more disconnected and as a result more auto dependent.

The alternative to the two is a sort of hybrid that TxDOT briefly floated about 25 years ago that they referred to as 'backage' roads. Instead of highway service roads lining the freeway, urban arterials within a 1/4 mile or so of the freeways would parallel the freeways and connect to entrances, exits and bridges across the freeway. These 'backage' roads would be lined with commercial uses and could be made much more pedestrian and bike friendly with wide tree lined sidewalks and protected bikeways. Continuous trails could also be built along the freeway right of ways within the wooded parkway sections. I wish that idea was not attacked and denigrated is typical Texas conservative reactionary style.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 3:12 PM
World Traveler

I will say that I've noticed more attempts at planting trees/shrubs/native grasses, etc., near interchanges and such. Georgetown, for example, has a lot of growth around the 130 and 35 interchange that will develop nicely over the years...could still be better, but it's not just grass only. But I always like expressways surrounded by true greenery to our highways with access roads.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 4:16 PM
World Traveler

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/publ...of-texas-rail/
Quote:
Public input wanted on the future of Texas Rail
by: Erica Brennes
Posted: Aug 19, 2024 / 08:37 AM CDT
Updated: Aug 19, 2024 / 08:37 AM CDT

AUSTIN (KXAN) — There will be a 2024 Texas Rail Plan virtual meeting on Monday from 4:30 to 6 p.m.

Officials will discuss the latest priorities of the 2024 Texas Rail Plan and go over the federal funding eligibility requirements.

TxDOT link from the article:
https://www.txdot.gov/projects/proje...an-update.html

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 7:21 PM

Why Are Texas Interchanges So Tall?

never mind

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post
never mind
^ I just watched the YouTube video of that today too haha

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 6:23 PM

Class action lawsuit targets Austin taxes over Project Connect

KUT 90.5 | By Nathan Bernier
Published August 28, 2024 at 5:03 AM CDT

https://www.kut.org/transportation/2...tin&stream=top

...A new class-action lawsuit is seeking to block the city from collecting any property taxes, potentially starving Austin's municipal government of almost all revenue, until it kills a tax approved by voters in 2020 to fund the largest public transit expansion in Central Texas history.

The lawsuit is being brought by some of the same taxpayers who filed an earlier challenge to the transit plan known as Project Connect. The previous suit — targeting the funding mechanism for borrowing billions to build a light-rail starter system — is now frozen while the state's Third Court of Appeals considers arguments.

The new suit was filed late Monday in the 126th Travis County District Court. It claims the city's property tax rate was miscalculated because it includes the Project Connect tax, which is generating revenue for transit projects including a light-rail plan whose initial scope reduced from 20.2 miles to 9.8-miles.....

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 6:28 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Do these idiots (who are no doubt are rich) know any concept of how government works when it comes to collecting taxes to fund and build infrastructure for it's citizens. These people are idiots and I say let's de-annex their area out of the city and be done with it, because they obviously do not care at all about our community or it's needs.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Do these idiots (who are no doubt are rich) know any concept of how government works when it comes to collecting taxes to fund and build infrastructure for it's citizens. These people are idiots and I say let's de-annex their area out of the city and be done with it, because they obviously do not care at all about our community or it's needs.
It’s very frustrating. Hopefully we have some sort of a resolution before the end of the year either way.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 12:09 AM

Driving on US 290/SH 71 from Wm Cannon to the Y in Oak Hill.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 4:22 PM

Makes me claustrophobic tbh

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin