HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 3:01 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

A quote from a CBC article today dealing with explosive student population growth in both the anglophone and francophone school districts serving southeastern NB:

Quote:
While the Anglophone East district education council was told in February that the Shediac site was expected to be announced soon, MacLean said the province is still working on that.

He said it should not affect the construction schedule. The education council was told in February that construction would start in 2025-26, with the school open in 2027. The council was told the school offering kindergarten to Grade 12 could have a capacity of 1,000 students.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
A quote from a CBC article today dealing with explosive student population growth in both the anglophone and francophone school districts serving southeastern NB:
I saw that 1000 student number but that can't be right, Shediac Cape currently has over 650 students and the new school was expected to move 250-300 students from Moncton High, that is roughly 900-950 students currently.

If the school isn't expected to open until 2027 I would think that there would be more than 1000 students by then. According to the Meeting Minutes from the Feb 20th meeting "With an envisioned enrollment spanning from kindergarten to eighth grade, accommodating 70 students per level and 75 for other grades, the school's total capacity is expected to reach 1,146 students."

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 1:52 PM

Noticed that there is a 3 story appartment building on Bellvue st. in Shediac that is nearing completion. This has seemingly sprung out of nowhere, mostly because when passing by Bellvue I have been concentrating on the road construction and didn't notice the building being built. From the looks of the building it will be just south of the Breaux Bridge/Bellvue traffic circle.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
I saw that 1000 student number but that can't be right, Shediac Cape currently has over 650 students and the new school was expected to move 250-300 students from Moncton High, that is roughly 900-950 students currently.

If the school isn't expected to open until 2027 I would think that there would be more than 1000 students by then. According to the Meeting Minutes from the Feb 20th meeting "With an envisioned enrollment spanning from kindergarten to eighth grade, accommodating 70 students per level and 75 for other grades, the school's total capacity is expected to reach 1,146 students."
During that meeting what they said was the building has an ideal design enrolment of 930, but a max capacity of 1,146. Mentioned at ~18:50 into the meeting here.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 1:50 PM

From a recent post by Mayor Roger Caissie
Building Permits for the first 8 months in Shediac $73 million down from last years $105 million.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 2:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
From a recent post by Mayor Roger Caissie
Building Permits for the first 8 months in Shediac $73 million down from last years $105 million.
Well, everyone knew that hadda be a blip.

It'll go up again when they finally get around to building that new k-12 anglophone school.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Well, everyone knew that hadda be a blip.

It'll go up again when they finally get around to building that new k-12 anglophone school.
Yep. The smaller the municipality the bigger the swing one big project can make on these numbers.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 5:10 PM

I was at a Shediac Minor Soccer coaches meeting last night and had a conversation with the president of the league about sporting facilities in the town. He informed me he has been working with a committee looking into the the viability of a New sports center in Shediac. He mentioned that the project is looking at the possibility of incorporating ice surfaces, a pool, walking track and meeting rooms. There is also the possibility of adding gym space a field house and outdoor fields including an artificial field. The potential location would be behind the Kent and mini home park once Breaux Bridge Gets extended with the thought that the new school would be built close by as well.
There are some political games being played as LJR wants the artificial field at their school for their new football team, however, there will be another high school built in the town that could also benefit from that field as well as other minor sports association.
This is a very ambitious project that would cost in the 100s of millions of dollars and will require cooperation from all levels of government as well as local citizens.
There is no doubt that the new arena(s) and pool will be built, the only question is whether or not they will be able to get support for the artificial field that could be used by everyone in the community or if it will be placed at LJR giving the school control over who can use the field.
I also learned that Shediac has more kids register for Shediac Minor soccer (850) than minor Hockey (450) and that Shediac has one of the largest soccer associations in the province behind Moncton, Dieppe, Saint John and Fredericton

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 5:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I have also heard rumours of huge plans for a new sports complex in Shediac as well, much along the lines as you have described. I am not close to the situation however, so I treated it as hearsay up until now, but given what you've heard, I think we will have to give this rumour a lot more credence.

If they can site it next to the new anglophone k-12 school, that would be tremendous!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 12:51 AM

Quote:

I have also heard rumours of huge plans for a new sports complex in Shediac as well, much along the lines as you have described. I am not close to the situation however, so I treated it as hearsay up until now, but given what you've heard, I think we will have to give this rumour a lot more credence.

If they can site it next to the new anglophone k-12 school, that would be tremendous!
I’m pretty sure earlier this year the town announced they are looking to build a new arena/pool complex. Not really hearsay. I’d love to see it next to the high school as well. The synergy would be excellent.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces