HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 7:28 PM

Sorry I'm late to the plate, but welcome back Tennis. This site lacked so much without you! Also, I apologize if this was already covered, but does anyone know what is being built in Elmwood between the AMC 20 and Elmwood Parkway Blvd? I think Eskew is the architect...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music guy View Post
Sorry I'm late to the plate, but welcome back Tennis. This site lacked so much without you! Also, I apologize if this was already covered, but does anyone know what is being built in Elmwood between the AMC 20 and Elmwood Parkway Blvd? I think Eskew is the architect...
Gulf Coast Bank

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 9:41 PM

Has anyone heard any news Louis Armstrong airport is trying behind the scenes to secure funding for a new terminal expansion? Someone I know that works for Southwest airlines said she heard it in a casual conversation regarding airports. That would be cool if true.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laaron View Post
Has anyone heard any news Louis Armstrong airport is trying behind the scenes to secure funding for a new terminal expansion? Someone I know that works for Southwest airlines said she heard it in a casual conversation regarding airports. That would be cool if true.
ive heard of the expansion and the rail project but nothing about funding for it

Old Posted Sep 1, 2024, 1:40 PM
-

Did we ever figure out what that large amount of money was for that the airport approved a few months back or this most recent funding approval?

New Orleans feature + expanded service from DL
Aug 26, 2024
Laissez les bons temps rouler! More nonstop flight options to New Orleans from Austin with Delta’s service expansion

https://www.austintexas.gov/blog/new...ded-service-dl

Old Posted Sep 1, 2024, 2:39 PM

So many projects - so little time! lol Any movement on the old Archdiocese’s high rise near the Plaza Tower ? What about the downtown Arhaus building; have they found new tenants ?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2024, 5:02 PM

That authorization and approval for $620 million in revenue bonds must have something to do with a expansion I would think! Thats good news.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2024, 5:59 PM

Airport Expansion

In addition to the North Terminal-South Terminal connector, I know the airport has been drawing up plans for a 5 gate expansion. This would be a new wing to the east, mirroring the current concourse A. I imagine they are waiting for the Super Bowl and Mardi Gras as it will likely require removing a gate or two from service during construction.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2024, 12:48 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
In addition to the North Terminal-South Terminal connector, I know the airport has been drawing up plans for a 5 gate expansion. This would be a new wing to the east, mirroring the current concourse A. I imagine they are waiting for the Super Bowl and Mardi Gras as it will likely require removing a gate or two from service during construction.
this was completed last year so i guess this is moving forward. surprised we havent seen any renderings for this yet though

Old Posted Sep 2, 2024, 7:07 PM
-

Good to see these additional road repairs being added

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 12:41 AM

Looks like it’s the Smoothie King Center’s turn to get either a facelift or be put out to pasture . https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans...e6147e4a3.html

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 1:42 AM

We will ultimately lose the Pelicans if they do not build a new arena. The rest of the league is light years ahead of the Smoothie King Center. The stadium is entirely insufficient for the modern NBA, I don't see how renovations (even major) can fix the fundamental issues that go well beyond freezers or sound quality.

I'm hoping they build a new arena at Julia and convention center blvd, the river district, or a reconfigured location near the Superdome. I'd love to see them incorporate the market street power plant as a concourse or entrance to a new stadium on the river.

Last edited by Green0007; Sep 4, 2024 at 10:01 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green0007 View Post
We will ultimately lose the Pelicans if they do not build a new arena. The rest of the league is light years ahead of the Smoothie King Center. The stadium is entirely insufficient for the modern NBA, I don't see how renovations (even major) can fix the fundamental issues that go well beyond freezers or sound quality.

I'm hoping they build a new arena at Julia and convention center blvd, the river district, or a reconfigured location near the Superdome.
that spot at Julia/CC is smaller than the current location, you then need parking which there isnt much, especially when all the Caesars employees that park there need to find new parking lol...

if they arent going to renovate, drop it, play in another place until a new one is built...My neighbor plays for the pels, cool guy but Las Vegas wants a team and will get one

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 3:28 PM

I don’t think Gayle Benson will move the team. But a new arena or a massive renovation is needed.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAslimm View Post
that spot at Julia/CC is smaller than the current location, you then need parking which there isnt much, especially when all the Caesars employees that park there need to find new parking lol...

if they arent going to renovate, drop it, play in another place until a new one is built...My neighbor plays for the pels, cool guy but Las Vegas wants a team and will get one
It's only slightly smaller - Smoothie King is about 575 x 430 ft (very rough estimates), and the Julia/CC whale lot is about 530 x 500. All those lots along Convention Center are part of the Hilton property, so if Hilton was willing to demo the whale garage and amenities building north of Girod and rebuild in the empty lot at the corner of Convention Center and Poydras, that would open up a lot of space to fit an arena + additional parking. It even has Port of NOLA Place behind it for loading areas. It's a little far from the interstate (compared to the current location), but closer proximity to more hotels, the convention center, new linear park, and the Canal and Riverfront streetcar lines. I really like the idea of a more urban arena that's not tucked away in some parking lots behind the dome, but I know at the end of the day the decision will be made based on traffic and parking.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 4:50 PM
-

The issue to me is bigger than the pelicans too. the current arena was built at a bad time and right before major changes in designs occurred so its bones are just not good enough to renovate and get a good bang for your buck and i also would like the arena to be somewhere easier to access the rest of the city grid. My guess is there is some potential for it to go where the convention center headquarter hotel was originally planned. since they are looking to build one now where the sugar mill is. it makes sense to me with all the parking the river district is going to have plus the new arena will be an extension of exhibit space for events too .. seems a win win. no one wants to just fund a new arena for a basketball team they are going to want to have an investment that results in more economic activity than just that which is why it needs to move to a spot where its not punished in the corner but feels like part of the city grid and creates activity in nearby restaurants etc

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
The issue to me is bigger than the pelicans too. the current arena was built at a bad time and right before major changes in designs occurred so its bones are just not good enough to renovate and get a good bang for your buck and i also would like the arena to be somewhere easier to access the rest of the city grid. My guess is there is some potential for it to go where the convention center headquarter hotel was originally planned. since they are looking to build one now where the sugar mill is. it makes sense to me with all the parking the river district is going to have plus the new arena will be an extension of exhibit space for events too .. seems a win win. no one wants to just fund a new arena for a basketball team they are going to want to have an investment that results in more economic activity than just that which is why it needs to move to a spot where its not punished in the corner but feels like part of the city grid and creates activity in nearby restaurants etc
I can already hear the residents in the LGD complaining about the stadium being built in the River District

Besides traffic issues, it would take up a huge piece of the site and would be dormant more days than not. However, on those days when there are concerts and games, it would bring much needed energy to a new neighborhood trying to build itself up, which would be great.

Philadelphia is going through the same thing right now - they are looking at moving their arena from the stadium district to a more centralized downtown area. Lots of pushback from neighborhood groups regarding traffic, of course, even though their public transit is 100x better than ours. It comes down to whether you think arenas are good for neighborhoods (more people and activity) and should be built to help neighborhoods grow, or if they hurt neighborhoods (traffic, parking lots, and only sporadic usage) and should be clustered together in stadium districts.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Seems like the new River District is the only available option for it. In a perfect world, I'd kinda like to see the post office demolished and train station moved (where idk ) and the arena go there.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 5:44 PM

Somebody bought it up earlier -just incorporate the old Market St Power Plant into an extension of the new arena. That frees up more space for the Dome for a potential tailgate park and green space where the SKC currently sits.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDot View Post
Somebody bought it up earlier -just incorporate the old Market St Power Plant into an extension of the new arena. That frees up more space for the Dome for a potential tailgate park and green space where the SKC currently sits.
That would actually position the power plant well for a sort of game day experience area similar to what Arlington did around the Cowboys' new stadium. Around games, those areas are absolutely packed.

That being said, I personally prefer the arena stay where it is (not opposed to a rebuild, though I wish we would spend that kind of public money on things like infrastructure and education). But I think the real problem with where the arena is now is disconnection from the rest of the city. If they put some real effort into extending and reconnecting Julia and Howard through where the Post Office building is, and make it pedestrian-friendly and try to make space for some adjacent development for retail, I think that would solve the location issues. Not cheap, but neither is any other option!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations