HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
You don't think he's weighed going back to law practice versus sitting at home and collecting a pension? Or he could do both. It's almost certainly entered his mind.
I don't think he can draw on his potential pension until he is 55, but only at a reduced rate. Or at age 65, with the full 75% of his best 5 years. So he will have to work.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I don't think he can draw on his potential pension until he is 55, but only at a reduced rate. Or at age 65, with the full 75% of his best 5 years. So he will have to work.
What are the conservative willing to give to NDP. A commitment to implement Pharmacare? Strengthening union laws?

The NDP has an agenda they want to advance. They are accountable to their constituency to do just that. If the conservatives want the NDP to support them need something in return. The NDP needs to be able to explain to their consistency what they accomplished by brining down the Liberals.

That is how a parliamentary system works.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
What are the conservative willing to give to NDP. A commitment to implement Pharmacare? Strengthening union laws?

The NDP has an agenda they want to advance. They are accountable to their constituency to do just that. If the conservatives want the NDP to support them need something in return. The NDP needs to be able to explain to their consistency what they accomplished by brining down the Liberals.

That is how a parliamentary system works.
What Conservatives should be doing is flooding the NDP riding associations with donations. Make them flush so they can run useless campaigns and flush the carnage away.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:45 PM
Great White Norf

Weird to argue what Singh can or will do in the future when career politician Poilievre was eligible for a full government pension before age 35

Anyone truly expect the guy who's been in Ottawa for 20 of his 45 years to make major changes? He IS the government and benefits from talking a big game while he's done nothing of importance for two decades as Member of Parliament

Seriously, can anyone name one piece of legislation Poilievre brought forward that got passed and helped Canadians? Anything? Anything over his two decades long political career.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:14 PM

20 years in government is actually why he's such an ideologue. That's what happens when you're steeped in politics for half your life guzzling the Kool Aid every single day. I half expect a premiership as disastrous as Liz Truss in the UK but for like 4-8 years. Regardless of orientation, it's what you get when you elect people who only know combative politics and have that as their source of living.

On policy, I think he's quite sincere actually. Just like Trudeau in 2015, he's got a bit of a messiah complex. I think he's quite sincere about dismantling some institutions and making irreversible changes. Where that leaves the country in end, we'll see.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's quite a bit of free money, every year, for life. I agree with you he probably doesn't need it to survive but sitting another year (or more) in Parliament to have access to that doesn't seem to be a big sacrifice. Even a rich person would go for it. Actually, you don't get rich by swearing off free or easily obtained money.
I think a lot of people don't understand that money = freedom. Sure, he could go back to practising law. But that pension means he'll have the financial freedom to keep participating in politics for a long time to come, with zero personal financial consequences. Of course, he's not going to pass that up. Is that his only consideration? Definitely not. Is it a consideration? He's not human if it isn't.

But also, it's so weird that conservatives expect Singh to help sink this government (which has implemented a substantial part of the NDP platform...to the point that this should probably be considered the first federal NDP government) to help elect a Conversative government that will most definitely dismantle what is there and try and make the NDP platform impossible in the future. Why exactly would any NDP leader sign up for that?

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:52 PM
Great White Norf

Truenorth, I meant positive changes.

Most of us have been around long enough to realize Conservative administrations whether Provincially or Federally put policies in place that benefit the wealthy and Corporations while simultaneously screwing over the working to middle class. Very similar to the GOP playbook.
I'm old enough to remember when Conservatives actually gave a damn about the environment and believed that global warming/climate change was a serious issue that we'd have to face head on.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:09 PM

^ Nobody is going to care about climate change while we have a cost of living crisis and a housing crisis. Ditto for things like dental care and pharmacare. It's incredibly frustrating that the Liberals don't understand this and simply seem to think they can fight an election on pharmacare and climate policy while ignoring the elephants in the room.

And ceding that ground to the Conservatives simply gives the Conservatives room to act badly on issues like climate policy. The Conservatives would be salivating a lot less about dismantling the CBC of this election was close.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
^ Nobody is going to care about climate change while we have a cost of living crisis and a housing crisis. Ditto for things like dental care and pharmacare. It's incredibly frustrating that the Liberals don't understand this and simply seem to think they can fight an election on pharmacare and climate policy while ignoring the elephants in the room.

And ceding that ground to the Conservatives simply gives the Conservatives room to act badly on issues like climate policy. The Conservatives would be salivating a lot less about dismantling the CBC of this election was close.
It is not like the Liberals have not been trying to address the cost of living and housing. They have. Any policy change on those front take time.

In a years time, interest rates should be down. Inflation looks more stable and in a years time people should be felling that. Despite that in a years time, they are still going to be left with the elephant in the room. No one like JT anymore. Time for a new leader.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:08 PM

Quote:
It is not like the Liberals have not been trying to address the cost of living and housing. They have. Any policy change on those front take time.

In a years time, interest rates should be down. Inflation looks more stable and in a years time people should be felling that. Despite that in a years time, they are still going to be left with the elephant in the room. No one like JT anymore. Time for a new leader.
This is the kind of delusion I'm talking about. No government that was absolutely sincere about tackling these crises would be ramping up immigration to 1M+ per year and tolerating fake colleges and fake diplomas from real colleges for this long. As the phrase goes, "Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining."

I'll believe they are sincere when StatsCan puts out a note saying population growth is back to the historic 1% per year and housing completions are actually exceeding population growth for once.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:16 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:

I'll believe they are sincere when StatsCan puts out a note saying population growth is back to the historic 1% per year and housing completions are actually exceeding population growth for once.
In the 2020s it doesn't seem bloody likely at this point

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:21 PM

Quote:

"I poured gasoline on the fire but then I did a rain dance so how dare you call me an arsonist!"

Old Posted Today, 1:56 AM

Quote:
This is the kind of delusion I'm talking about. No government that was absolutely sincere about tackling these crises would be ramping up immigration to 1M+ per year and tolerating fake colleges and fake diplomas from real colleges for this long. As the phrase goes, "Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining."

The target for this year is 485,000 not one million.

In the January/February time period they put in limits on foreign students. They announced additional restrictions now.

Universities are already laying off faculty as there are fewer students.

PP was the minister responsible for housing for a short period of time in the Harper government. He has a fairly poor record of building social housing. That is not likely going to change with him as PM.

Housing starts happen to be down because the private sector is not starting new projects at the same rate as last year. If we had a conservative government in power that would result in cuts to municipal government for public transit construction projects in Toronto, Vancouver etc. I know the conservatives want to see those project grind to a stop and be left half built. Or do they, have they thought out how workable their proposed platform is?

Last edited by casper; Today at 3:15 AM.

Old Posted Today, 3:16 AM

Quote:

In the January/February time period they put in limits on foreign students. They announced additional restrictions now.

Universities are already laying off faculty as there are fewer students.

PP was the minister responsible for housing for a short period of time in the Harper government. He has a fairly poor record of building social housing. That is not likely going to change with him as PM.

Housing starts happen to be down because the private sector is not starting new projects at the same rate as last year. If we had a conservative government in power that would result in cuts to municipal government for public transit construction projects in Toronto, Vancouver etc. I know the conservatives want to see those project grind to a stop and be left half built.
They issued 125k permits in Q2, which is traditionally one of the least busy quarters.

https://www.ircc.canada.ca/opendata-...sign_date.xlsx

In context there are a million university students in Canada.

The “PP was housing minister” is a weird attack because housing was relatively affordable when he was minister.

Old Posted Today, 3:35 AM

Quote:

Why yes, addressing the cost of living by importing hundreds of thousands of cheap foreign workers to drive down wages is pure genius! We’ve been wrong all along!

Old Posted Today, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Why yes, addressing the cost of living by importing hundreds of thousands of cheap foreign workers to drive down wages is pure genius! We’ve been wrong all along!
The students have been brought in check.

Two sides to that story. How much of the cost of groceries, food, housing construction, etc. is labor.

Increasing wages to address inflation yields more inflation. That is the spiral the Bank of Canada was trying to contain.

In BC (and likely in other provinces), minimum wage is index to inflation.

Old Posted Today, 5:40 AM

Quote:

The public doesn't care about targets. It cares about the competition for housing and public services. And until there are tangible improvements on those fronts the LPC will stay down in the polls.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada