HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
What the hell that looks nothing like the renders. We are so used to buildings being value engineered and downgraded, is this the first time the inverse has happened?
Hahah has to be. Btw, how the hell does a supportive housing project get such a great facade yet all of the market rate high end stuff gets the stupid blue glass

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 5:14 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Nice. Glad they're building this supportive housing. Hopefully there is a lot more where this came from.

Was in downtown yesterday and it is promising but really anecdotally seems worse whereas SF is getting noticeably better.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Nice. Glad they're building this supportive housing. Hopefully there is a lot more where this came from.

Was in downtown yesterday and it is promising but really anecdotally seems worse whereas SF is getting noticeably better.
Maybe in downtown, but the council members in many parts of the city are getting rid of encampments in the last few weeks. There's less visible homeleless if you travel around.

Venice is clearly better. There are some left, but theres always been some homeless in venice.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post

Oh let’s not start the city vs city mess. I was just in SF two weeks ago.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2024, 5:39 AM
Paramoderator

Ironically the big news story out of San Francisco today is that one of the players on the 49ers was shot in the chest downtown during an attempted robbery at 3pm on a Saturday. The issues facing Los Angeles and San Francisco aren't local. It's not a matter of city vs. city. It's a state issue, and both cities sit under that umbrella. Hopefully things will start to change.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2024, 5:57 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Ironically the big news story out of San Francisco today is that one of the players on the 49ers was shot in the chest downtown during an attempted robbery at 3pm on a Saturday. The issues facing Los Angeles and San Francisco aren't local. It's not a matter of city vs. city. It's a state issue, and both cities sit under that umbrella. Hopefully things will start to change.
I don't want to take this too much further off topic but apparently the shooter was a 17 year old from Tracy, a suburb of San Joaquin County, which isn't even in the SF MSA. So in this particular instance at least, it does not appear to be a local issue as the perpetrator was from outside the region. I suspect he traveled to SF's Union Square specifically to target someone with high end jewelry. It just happened to be a 49ers player.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2024, 7:50 AM
Paramoderator

Even further proof that it is a state issue! This is the anti city vs city. This is city AND city. Our two cities being brought closer together through the mismanagement of our state government

Old Posted Sep 1, 2024, 4:00 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Oh let’s not start the city vs city mess. I was just in SF two weeks ago.
Hell no. I have homes in both cities and am not about city v. city. My job took me to SF but I never sold my LA home.

Anyway, it seems like with The Bloc and Figat7th are both doing well and this area is kind of coalescing to become a sort of established center for Downtown. I wish the parking structures between Fig and Flower could be demolished and put additional residential there or a pass-through park to link the 2 shopping areas together. The Mitsui tower is a really good start. I hope retail moves into the bottom floor soon. This would have been a good place for an Apple store. If only Downtown could support 2.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2024, 4:03 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I don't want to take this too much further off topic but apparently the shooter was a 17 year old from Tracy, a suburb of San Joaquin County, which isn't even in the SF MSA. So in this particular instance at least, it does not appear to be a local issue as the perpetrator was from outside the region. I suspect he traveled to SF's Union Square specifically to target someone with high end jewelry. It just happened to be a 49ers player.
Unfortunately the national media is going to run with this story and embellish the s#&t out of it.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2024, 2:34 PM

June 28, 2024 CoStar article about Onni Refinancing some LA projects to fund Times Mirror Square development. They seem to be right on time again as they said that they would start construction on Times Mirror once 1000 hill was finishing up. They had the same schedule when they did the 50 story and the Hope+Flower double tower with the latter starting very close to the completion of the former.

I know someone; who has since been suspended, quoted an article about Onni wanting to purchase the 222 w 2nd st Tribune tower lot and the city wanting to turn it into homeless housing, then Onni saying they didn’t want to start on the times mirror because of the area crime and homeless, but they were never supposed to break ground on this project before 1000 hill had substantial completion. Also, Colburn just started construction a block away on their project and the regional connector opened across the street. This property has and will continue to increase in value and there will be no shortage of renters. They will break ground soon, that article and quote obviously is just because Onni is pissed and doesn’t want homeless housing next to them as a scare tactic, but they will still build their Times Mirror Buildings. Just my observation.

Quote:
The largest property in the Los Angeles area being refinanced is Onni East Village, a 23-story tower connected to an eight-story structure at 330 E. Third St. in Long Beach, California. That property has 432 units. Within Los Angeles, the 34-story Level Los Angeles at 888 S. Olive St. and the seven-story SMB Hollywood at 6933 Santa Monica Blvd. are among the properties in the deal.
Quote:
The company plans to develop more than 5,000 apartments at riverfront sites on and near Chicago’s Goose Island in the coming years as well as more than 1,100 units on the Times Mirror Square site that includes the former Los Angeles Times building.
https://www.costar.com/article/18506...nd-los-angeles

Man, I was reflecting back on Pages 185-189 which was the years 2016/2017 and THAT WAS A BOOM. So much construction at one time and so many cranes. 3 towers of oceanwide, 4 towers of Metropolis, Hope+Flower just broke ground and 520 Olive floors rising, 2 towers of circa, 1120 S grand tower just started, and the frankentowers ALL under construction at the same time. There were like 14 cranes in the sky simultaneously

Last edited by hughfb3; Sep 2, 2024 at 5:00 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2024, 4:50 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Man, I was reflecting back on Pages 185-189 which was the years 2016/2017 and THAT WAS A BOOM. So much construction at one time and so many cranes. 3 towers of oceanwide, 4 towers of Metropolis, Hope+Flower just broke ground and 520 Olive floors rising, 2 towers of circa, 1120 S grand tower just started, and the frankentowers ALL under construction at the same time. There were like 14 cranes in the sky simultaneously

Yea, I hope to see another boom like that in the next 5-10 years. We also thought 333 Figueroa had a chance back then.

Guess LA will have to come up with a new tallest, if ever.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2024, 6:23 PM
Ascension

^ I can think of a million things LA needs and a new tallest building is at around 950k.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Yea, I hope to see another boom like that in the next 5-10 years. We also thought 333 Figueroa had a chance back then.

Guess LA will have to come up with a new tallest, if ever.
I was literally thinking about that Sunday night. Who knows how long Wilshire Grand Center will hold that title for. Hope to see another prominent supertall with spire, 1300+ footer.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 12:20 AM

By the way, today is LA's 243rd birthday! Per Wikipedia: On September 4, 1781, a group of 44 settlers known as "Los Pobladores" founded the pueblo El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles. I put this in the downtown thread because that is roughly where the city was born.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 3:09 AM

What’s the “N” logo on the tallest Metropolis tower?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 7:43 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
What’s the “N” logo on the tallest Metropolis tower?
I believe it's the logo for the developer, Greenland.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 9:27 AM

Olympic and Hill apt tower topped off

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 3:46 PM

Quote:
I believe it's the logo for the developer, Greenland.
That Greenland “G” logo has been replaced on the tallest “Thea” tower but remains on the 2nd tallest building. This is something else. I remember a post previously about Greenland possibly selling off a portion of this project. This could probably be the result of that. Now we have both a G and an N on different towers of the same project.

Side bar- this “N” reminds me of pre-US Bank logo times. I wish we could go back to a simple logo like these for the Library Tower, like back when it was First Interstate and just had the “I” on the crown. I loved being a kid and seeing the “I” building before the crown was was decimated by the current long wording logo sign.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 3:47 PM

Thanks for the update Pwright!! Yes it’s coming along.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Thanks for the update Pwright!! Yes it’s coming along.
Also…the new Addidas Store opening diagonal from the Apple Store on Broadway looks like it’s having a soft opening or grand opening today. The store looks great!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations