HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 3:28 PM

They're taking forever to get the bridge done, which pushed out finishing all the other work. I am not sure what the hold-up is.

Basically seems like everything could be done this year except that western portion of the work on PTH 101 itself, which can only be completed once the old intersection is decommissioned.

Maybe someone can hound MTI with email questions.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 3:51 PM

When did construction start? Imma send MTI that France 4-day overpass video.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post
When did construction start? Imma send MTI that France 4-day overpass video.
I expect the outcome will be a department wide staff meeting getting called under the subject heading: ‘stuff that a random internet guy thinks we should watch’.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 7:39 PM

Can you refresh my memory on what’s being done on PTH 101? I haven’t been out that way in a little while.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tall Forehead View Post
I expect the outcome will be a department wide staff meeting getting called under the subject heading: ‘stuff that a random internet guy thinks we should watch’.
Yep, the minister will most certainly also be asked to join this meeting as well.

Civil engineers in the field already know of such things being possible, they just work with the budget they have, not the budget Bodaggin thinks should be dedicated to car infrastructure in Manitoba.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 9:57 PM

Quote:
lol who are you kidding… they probably didn’t even open the email.

Concerned citizens… ain’t nobody got time for that.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 10:11 PM

Quote:
If you say nothing, they will change nothing. Guaranteed.

If you apply pressure, there's a non-zero chance it will effect an improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Civil engineers in the field already know of such things being possible, they just work with the budget they have, not the budget Bodaggin thinks should be dedicated to car infrastructure in Manitoba.
They don't. This is obscenely false. Prove otherwise.

Time is money Wildcake. Better construction methods, simpler designs, and better use of land all cost LESS money. Not more. Do you seriously think spending 2yrs+ on St Mary's Overpass is costing LESS than doing it efficiently? Of course not. It's costing MORE. Because bad execution costs MORE time and money.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:29 AM

Quote:
If you say nothing, they will change nothing. Guaranteed.

If you apply pressure, there's a non-zero chance it will effect an improvement.

They don't. This is obscenely false. Prove otherwise.

Time is money Wildcake. Better construction methods, simpler designs, and better use of land all cost LESS money. Not more. Do you seriously think spending 2yrs+ on St Mary's Overpass is costing LESS than doing it efficiently? Of course not. It's costing MORE. Because bad execution costs MORE time and money.
Why would you care if they the private company building it makes money or not? The price the government pays gets smaller and smaller as the project drags on, because of liquidated damages, which are a penalty to the contractor for every day after July 1st, 2024 (I might be wrong about the date) without the project being completed.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:26 PM

Lots of construction activity between St. Mary's Road the Red River when I drove @ 9:30 last night.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:40 PM

I wonder how much time on a large project like this gets lost beyond the contractors control to weather conditions?

Any time there are thunder storms during the workday I'm guessing work stops so no worker gets struck by lightning out in the open area, and then on the sub grade work there is not going to be any excavation of soil or placing of gravel while the work area is wet.

Just looking at the weather information on line and we have more rain than normal this year since Apr 1.

A few days here and there of rain and then it adds up to being days behind schedule compared to what the tender required as the substantial completion date.

I do realize the completion date will be weather adjusted for liquidated payment penalty's but the public just sees the work not done.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I wonder how much time on a large project like this gets lost beyond the contractors control to weather conditions?

Any time there are thunder storms during the workday I'm guessing work stops so no worker gets struck by lightning out in the open area, and then on the sub grade work there is not going to be any excavation of soil or placing of gravel while the work area is wet.

Just looking at the weather information on line and we have more rain than normal this year since Apr 1.

A few days here and there of rain and then it adds up to being days behind schedule compared to what the tender required as the substantial completion date.

I do realize the completion date will be weather adjusted for liquidated payment penalty's but the public just sees the work not done.
Normal construction companies in other parts of Canada/the world put up large fabric Quonsets so they don’t have to worry about a little rain. They are often rolling too so construction doesn’t have to stop and crews can work safely 24 hours a day…. Often long into the winter. But this is manitoba.

Ain’t nobody got time for that.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:58 PM

The project started over 2yrs ago. Last summer was a drought. It's a 4-lane bridge, not the Eifel tower. This project should have taken 6-8 weeks on site with competent planning and construction methods:

-Pre-cast all components except footings. Pre-cast Piles, Girders, Piers, Caps, Abutments, all of it. Work is factory heated, indoors, year round. On-site becomes lego-like assembly with only 1-2 cast-in-place pours. Minimal weather impact.
-Piles can be drive 8-10mths of the year.
-Base course can be hauled to site in winter.
-Use 24hr construction.
-And stop with the overly elaborate designs and DDI bs.

Manitobans need to stop making excuses for incompetence.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:53 PM

Here's how embarrassing current construction speed is. Duff's Ditch was built in 5.5yrs.

-A 47km long river, with more earth moved than the Suez Canal
-The control structure
-7 Railway bridges
-5 Highway bridges
-In the 1960's

All that, in 5.5yrs.

The St Mary's overpass has almost taken half this long. For a 4 lane bridge. And people are rationalizing it.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Here's how embarrassing current construction speed is. Duff's Ditch was built in 5.5yrs.

-A 47km long river, with more earth moved than the Suez Canal
-The control structure
-7 Railway bridges
-5 Highway bridges
-In the 1960's

All that, in 5.5yrs.

The St Mary's overpass has almost taken half this long. For a 4 lane bridge. And people are rationalizing it.
They rationalize because they benefit.

It’s like teachers… my neighbour has been struggling for a year to get her special needs daughter into a program that is more supportive of her needs. But nope. All full.

No actual money for the kids, but here’s a raise.

They could have put that money into meal programs, expanding extra curricular activities, school improvements… but nope. But obviously we need to have the highest paid elementary school teachers on the planet.

But they love telling us how much they care about the kids. lol they only care about themselves.

Old Posted Today, 2:04 AM

Quote:
The project started over 2yrs ago. Last summer was a drought. It's a 4-lane bridge, not the Eifel tower. This project should have taken 6-8 weeks on site with competent planning and construction methods:

-Pre-cast all components except footings. Pre-cast Piles, Girders, Piers, Caps, Abutments, all of it. Work is factory heated, indoors, year round. On-site becomes lego-like assembly with only 1-2 cast-in-place pours. Minimal weather impact.
-Piles can be drive 8-10mths of the year.
-Base course can be hauled to site in winter.
-Use 24hr construction.
-And stop with the overly elaborate designs and DDI bs.

Manitobans need to stop making excuses for incompetence.
I agree. I drove on Highway 12 North of Hwy 1 and construction started last year, but isn't finished. I understand why a bridge would take so long, but for a highway repaving that should be done within a year. Construction just takes too long in Manitoba.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan