HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
a lot of people are boycotting them because of their Israel stance.

I've never had bad customer service there.
I'm having a difficult time figuring out what is accurate... is Starbucks pro-Israel in the sense that they have the right to exist or are they straight up pro-genocide/ethnic cleansing (in line with Biden/Netanyahu)?

If they are Zionist then I will obviously have to stop supporting them. Ugh...

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancanadian View Post
I'm having a difficult time figuring out what is accurate... is Starbucks pro-Israel in the sense that they have the right to exist or are they straight up pro-genocide/ethnic cleansing (in line with Biden/Netanyahu)?

If they are Zionist then I will obviously have to stop supporting them. Ugh...
Starbucks has no public stance nor do they provide monetary support to Israel or the Isreali military. The call for boycott comes from Starbucks publicly condemning and suing a unionizing campaign that tweeted support for Hamas' Oct 7th attacks and the fact that major Starbucks shareholders also own shares in Isreali arms companies and Isreali arms suppliers.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:38 PM

Starbucks went for frappuccinos and drive-through/mobile orders because that's what was driving sales. It's probably just as likely their sales would have plummeted if they didn't jump on those "consumer trends".

Last edited by jollyburger; Today at 2:46 AM.

Old Posted Today, 12:50 AM

The people I work with downtown that have stopped going to Starbucks is mainly because of the price, myself included. As for Israel stuff, I've never heard that as a reason from any co-workers.

Customer service at Starbucks has always been very good I've found. Time waiting in shop while they sort out online orders is another reason I won't go there. Too many orders of sugary frappy tosh.

Take me back to Thurlow Starbucks in the late 80s when they were new and interesting as you couldn't get a to-go coffee anywhere else downtown other than Mmmuffins shops in the mall or other styrofoam places.

Old Posted Today, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
a lot of people are boycotting them because of their Israel stance.

I've never had bad customer service there.
Starbucks has no Israel stance. That boycott is based on misinformation.

I would say they’ve priced themselves into a sales decline. As with many companies, they thought that consumers were more forgiving than they actually are. 3% would not be categorized as “plummeting,” however.

Old Posted Today, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post

I would say they’ve priced themselves into a sales decline. As with many companies, they thought that consumers were more forgiving than they actually are. 3% would not be categorized as “plummeting,” however.
I think it has more to do with Howard Schultz's stance / support and his connection to Starbucks.

Ron.

Old Posted Today, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
I think it has more to do with Howard Schultz's stance / support and his connection to Starbucks.

Ron.
A union posted some stuff about the war and Starbucks filled a lawsuit trying to stop them.

Old Posted Today, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post

I also agree with those who say the shift away from the third place philosophy has hurt them. The new store design looks cold and uninviting. That may have made sense in the throes of a pandemic but if I'm going to just pop in somewhere and grab a coffee to go, I can do that at McDonalds for way less money.

Old Posted Today, 5:45 PM

Thanks for the reassuring replies - and I apologize for politicizing things somewhat.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy