HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 6:07 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2024 in TORONTO

The Well is a new residential and commercial development just across the street from Cityplace. The bottom part of the development is a new shopping mall with pedestrianized streets and a protective canopy, a rare treat in this city. Hope it holds up during the winter. Many shops are not yet ready yet when I visited during the summer 2024 so it'll take a bit more time to settle in.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/toronto.htm
My 2023 thread : https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=253679

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 12:13 AM

Nice pictures! I have heard about The Well from a former member, and it seems really interesting!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 12:27 AM

yea it looks well, and it looks like a well

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 1:32 AM
Hong Kong

The downtown condo boom is pretty much over but there are still a lot of cranes in the sky and buildings under construction. Although Canada has an overall housing shortage, I doubt the new immigrants can afford a downtown unit. Yet building more suburbia is bad for the environment and the already nasty traffic.

More photos on my website : Toronto, Canada Photo Gallery

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 2:55 AM

Nice update already!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post

I like the ribs (fins?)!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2024, 7:49 PM
Hong Kong

City Hall has been home to a Toronto scale model for as long as I can remember. It's still there, and looks updated to include recent residential developments all around downtown.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2024, 2:07 PM
Hong Kong

Vaughan's metropolitan centre is taking shape with a lot of new condo towers but still even more parking lots and industrial areas.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 3:55 PM
Great White Norf

Vaughan MCC is so strange. Toronto's northern suburb known for the largest amusement park - Canada's Wonderland, where light industrial has thrived for decades and many Italians/Italian-Canadians settled is now building massive amounts of residential, office, or mixed use high-rises now even fully fledged skyscrapers at 50-60+ storeys exceeding 600 feet tall.

It's wild that you can take the subway north from downtown Toronto all the way to here.
I wonder what it will look like in 5, 10, 20 years. I wish they had subdivided the parcels more to avoid the superblock towers look and encourage more walkability.

Thanks for all of the photos.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 1:12 AM
Hong Kong

Yet, Vaughan is historically known for lowrise suburbs and industrial buildings like these landscapes.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 10:41 PM
Hong Kong

Yorkville Murals took place on a late August 2024 weekend that transformed Yorkville Avenue into pop-up art exhibitions.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2024, 5:56 PM
Hong Kong

The Canadian National Exhibition was first held in 1879 during the late summer leading to the Labour Day holiday, providing entertainment and a venue to showcase the country's innovations. Its focus has changed from agriculture to a mixed carnival with shows, food, air show, and more. I came to try out some querky foods that you can't readily get outside.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2024, 7:39 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
[size=3]The Canadian National Exhibition was first held in 1879 during the late summer leading to the Labour Day holiday, providing entertainment and a venue to showcase the country's innovations. Its focus has changed from agriculture to a mixed carnival with shows, food, air show, and more. I came to try out some querky foods that you can't readily get outside.

Primo is one of, if not THE most mass produced brands of pasta, pasta/pizza sauce, canned beans in Canada.

You can get 900 grams/~2 lbs of pasta for $1.99 CAD or <$1.50 USD equivalent. I recall when it would be on sale for 88 cents.

Food Basics grocery store current flyer

Funny to see them serving up pasta at The Ex
I guess so new Canadians will remember them as "great value for the money"

What carnival food did you end up trying?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 9:10 PM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
I guess so new Canadians will remember them as "great value for the money"

What carnival food did you end up trying?
Primo pasta looked interesting but given it is a cheap brand, I saved my quota for other foods!

I had the ramen on the cross (nothing special), Mexican corn with cheese and spicy sprinkles, and wasabi ice-cream (highlight of the night).

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 1:29 AM
Great White Norf

Wasabi ice cream sounds good.
Once you've had top notch ramen, it'd be unusual for a carnival to have really good stuff up to par. I have yet to try elote, but the spicy looking one appears tempting!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 4:25 AM

I was wondering what food you had too!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 5:50 AM

Wow, I remember this places, sometime ago visited them during family vacations. Amazing photos, I saw somewhere else those wasabi ice cream, but... I was not brave enough to try it, I can't stand very spicy food at all(((

Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 2:25 AM
Hong Kong

The Portlands area east of downtown was reclaimed from the lake in the early 20th century to create industrial zones. However, much of it has been vacant for a long time. Discussions about redeveloping this prime real estate so close to the financial centre have been ongoing for the past few decades, even during the failed 2008 Olympic bid. Today, there hasn't been much to show yet although the shovels are in the ground. As part of this project, the Don River will also be extended through the area as part of a flood protection project.

2 new bridges have opened along New Cherry Street to the north and south of Commissioners Street. They were built in Nova Scotia and moved along the St. Lawrence Seaway by barge to Toronto.

At under 15 minutes by bus from Union Station, this area has plenty of harbour and skyline views.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos