HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 12:55 PM

Quote:
As for St. Bernard Place, this lies outside the area covered by the development plan. I am not surprised it wasn't depicted.
Right. The same thing with the Heritage parking lot then. I do see the Rogers building eventually being replaced; it's just too good of a location. And that Robinson Street parking lot, though challenging, is a real eyesore that needs to be developed. Fortunately, the city now owns it and really wants it off their plate and in the hands of a credible developer.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Also posted in the main [Moncton] thread.

So, as part of the rezoning process for the Gateway Towers, they have decided to update the Downtown Moncton Core Community Improvement Plan to include the Three Sisters and Gateway Towers developments.

I decided to screen capture several of the key images for discussion.

Overview:

- You can see the Three Sisters and the Gateway Towers added in on the bottom left of the image.
- Other buildings have been added in on the ocean of surface parking (all fanciful), but, you can see the completed Downing Street, including the proposed roundabout at it's intersection with Assumption. You can also see the completed Ashford Development, including the city market/convention space (strategically adjacent to the Delta Beausejour), as well as the "signature tower" on the NW corner of the roundabout (height TBD). The new east west street south of Main lies between these two components of the Ashford project.

Master Plan Legend:

- The numbers on the legend correspond to proposals (no doubt some fanciful) within the development area.
- The most intriguing one to me is #11 "new academic facility", which will be located behind the courthouse. How certain is this? What type of "academic facility" will this be? UNB recently mentioned in the media about having an enhanced presence in Moncton. Could this be a small downtown campus for UNBM? Or, could it be something more boring, such as a relocated UdeM law faculty (given it's location next to the law courts). Enquiring minds most certainly want to know.
- #6 is a "future civic project." This is located on the little parking lot behind Blue Cross. Could this be a new downtown library? Another possibility could be a modern art museum (as previously hinted at). This is an important lot right on Downing Street, so, an important civic building seems reasonable.

Public Space Network:

- This image shows all the parkland, and the mixed use corridors planned in the development area. Of note, the NB Power lot next to the Gateway Towers appears to be designated as greenspace, but, this is privately held land, and, could be purchased for development instead. How set in stone is the plan to have this reserved for greenspace? Could another couple of towers be built here to complement the Gateway Towers? Anything built here would not impact on the riverfront trail system.
- Also, #7 (the small bit of land to the south of the Third Sister) has been designated as a "stormwater detention area." It would appear that development here will not be possible.
- Interesting that #9 is called "Ashford Plaza." The two hypothetical mixed use building immediately to the east of Ashford Plaza are on Ashford owned lands. Hmmmm.
- Otherwise, the plan seems very pedestrian minded, with lots of interconnectivity between all the public spaces, some using mixed use corridors. You can also see all the connection point to the Riverfront Park from the downtown core, one of which extends between the two Gateway towers.

Street Network:

- Pretty self explanatory. It will be very nice to see an actual street gid reestablished south of Main Street. There appears to be an emphasis for on street parking. This is not just a business friendly decision. On street parking by it's very nature is a bit of a traffic calming technique.

Thoughts anyone???

I'm looking forward to hear some news on building 5, 3A (old RCMP) and 3C buildings, I'm guessing we won't hear anything until the end of 2025 or early 2026. I was also thinking the same thing for Building 11, potential UNB expansion, i wonder if they would add a dormitory near the rogers call center.

One of the buildings in area 17(master legend) looks significant, 15+ storeys.

Last edited by MonctonGoldenTri; Aug 23, 2024 at 6:04 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2024, 2:43 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenTri View Post
I'm looking forward to hear some news on building 5, 3A (old RCMP) and 3C buildings, I'm guessing we won't hear anything until the end of 2025 or early 2026. I was also thinking the same thing for Building 11, potential UNB expansion, i wonder if they would add a dormitory near the rogers call center.

One of the buildings in area 17(master legend) looks significant, 15+ storeys.
3A = Old RCMP HQ.
3C = Parking lot in front of the Treitz Haus
5 = Parking lot behind the Marriott Residence Inn.

Yes, it gratifies me to see this entire area is to be densified. The buildings as depicted however are all fanciful. I would hope the building on the old RCMP site has some stature (at least 12 storeys) - it is on a prominent corner. The parking lot behind the Marriott also deserves a signature building. The curve in Assumption Blvd in this location could be used as inspiration for a unique architectural design.

I see they plan access paths south of the building to be built on the RCMP site to allow connectivity to the Riverfront Trail. This seems like a good idea.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2024, 3:26 AM

I couldn't agree more lots 3a,3b, 5 and 6 have the potential to be the most transformative for the downtown area. Creation of complete, real, truly dense, downtown city blocks. I hope the city has set out some guidelines for what kind of density and what kind of street interface will go in these spots. Street facing and inviting retail is a must, patios with some weather protecting overhang is a also must, if we hope to keep people down here year round. I would also say moderate height is also a must maybe 8-10 in the smaller lots but we should be aiming for 12+ across the board maybe even 20+. If Ashford has the plans we all hear rumors of and comes through and completes them, we could be talking an area from Assumption to Westorland bordered by Main in the north and the south-eastern handle of Assumption in the south. That would be a true downtown hub. I just hope we get moving on infrastructure so as soon as the city is done Ashford jumps as well.

Botsford with Bernard and the other available empty lots could also turn into a secondary downtown node very similar to the Highfield st. Node on the western side of downtown. Exciting times for development and city growth proponents in downtown Moncton. Let's hope builders like Icon/Quest Properties/CG Group and Lafford also jump at these other potential development opportunities. Book is out on Ritchie but if Bernard is a success we could lump him in there as well. If only I had the capital I'd love to jump into 1 of these properties and get the ball rolling.

Collective SSP development lot ??? Lol.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

So, this happened overnight:

This was almost certainly caused by a squatter. This building has been broken into before, and, I believe there have been small fires on two previous occasions. This time it looks like they have finished the job.

Yet another reason why we should aggressively move ahead with development projects along the riverfront. The best way to keep this area of the city from being overrun by homeless encampments (like along that ditch where the Gateway is to be built) is by densification and creating a popular pedestrian realm. The more people actually living on and/or visiting the waterfront, the less opportunity there will be for the drug addled population to actually get into mischief like this and/or petty crime.

Ignore the Gang of 34. Build the Gateway. Build the Ashford/Downing project (as high as possible), consider development of the NB Power site, and, densely develop the entire northern flank of Assumption Blvd. We need to do this for the safety and security of our city!

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:39 PM

Quote:
So, this happened overnight:

This was almost certainly caused by a squatter. This building has been broken into before, and, I believe there have been small fires on two previous occasions. This time it looks like they have finished the job.

Yet another reason why we should aggressively move ahead with development projects along the riverfront. The best way to keep this area of the city from being overrun by homeless encampments (like along that ditch where the Gateway is to be built) is by densification and creating a popular pedestrian realm. The more people actually living on and/or visiting the waterfront, the less opportunity there will be for the drug addled population to actually get into mischief like this and/or petty crime.

Ignore the Gang of 34. Build the Gateway. Build the Ashford/Downing project (as high as possible), consider development of the NB Power site, and, densely develop the entire northern flank of Assumption Blvd. We need to do this for the safety and security of our city!
Unfortunately, building higher and bigger does not fix the homelessness and drug addiction in the city. Sure, everything you propose will "clean up" the downtown, but it only pushes the problem out to the outer ridges (ie: St George area). Societal change is the only solution to the safety and security of this urban issue.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:56 PM

Quote:
So, this happened overnight
*snip*

That was inevitable. The place had been partially torched before. I pass that thing almost daily and was expecting this for a while. You'd think someone used to living outside would be more fluent in campfire safety. Hopefully it will be torn down and replaced with something less flammable and campable. Maybe just more boardwalk for now.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I think this building is beyond salvage now. It will be torn down. I would argue it not be replaced until they come up with a plan to hermetically seal it's replacement, surround it with floodlights, and have cameras mounted monitoring the building from every conceivable angle, with the feed directly to the Codiac RCMP HQ, so that police response can be immediate, overwhelming and effective.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:18 PM

It will most definitely be torn down. I went to see the building a few years ago with the prospect of turning it into a micro hotel but to my disappointment it was built without any water and sewer and would need a lift station in order to tie into the sewer system, making any project economically unfeasible

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces