HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Aug 11, 2024, 1:20 PM

There's been a lot of focus and growth in the downtown. A lot more events too that has led to more community involvement and recruitment of entertainment. I think it's jelped improve the downtown and UA corridor.

That said, when Walt Maddox was running for governor, Iwe discussed some things about Tuscaloosa. Respectfully, I don't know if he's the best mayor to really focus on future growth and how to really maximize Tuscaloosa's potential. He really didn't seem to care about younger professional retention, attracting more businesses for future job growth, creating opportunities for those who didn't obtain degrees, or had a plan to mitigate rising crime. Not that Maddox is a bad mayor or a bad person, but I would like to see better competitors within the city and someome who draws out plans to focus on certain areas.

You would have thought with the university's exposure during a great football run, it would have led to more explosive growth in the area and the city maximizing on the revenue. But I think the leadership in tact really didn't take advantage.

Not all of this is on Walt or the city leaders either. But I do wish the Tuscaloosa economy wasn't 100% dependent on Mercedes and the university. There's just not a plan to diversify it, looking at the ever growing tech industry that could bring better higher paying jobs to the area, or a real plan in sight for middle to lower income areas. There's still a large number of people who travel to Birmingham throughout the week for their jobs.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2024, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
I am disheartened by the amount of violent crime happening in parts of Tuscaloosa these days. Seems like every time I look at AL.com or other local news sites, there's another shooting. This could certainly have an impact on attracting Alabama high school students if parents don't consider Tuscaloosa safe.

Also, as far as Tuscaloosa's growth long term, I realize it is definitely more "city" than "community" compared to many college towns, but I would think that increased crime, along with pretty sub-par K-12 public schools, are deterrents for many graduates deciding to stick around after graduating from UA.

I live part time in Auburn, and I can attest that its incredible growth over the last few years has a LOT to do with its stellar K-12 public school system and very nice, safe neighborhoods. There really is no bad side of town. I actually look for it to be a bigger place than Tuscaloosa in coming years. I understand that it has a lot to do with Auburn being a relatively very "young" city and mainly growing with Auburn graduates, but I think Maddox really needs to focus on these areas to make Tuscaloosa a more inviting place for UA graduates and their families post graduation.

Auburn has the advantage of being a lot more dense and its university being right in the heart of their downtown. We see how beautiful the campus at UA is, yet it seems to be isolated from Tuscaloosa. And from what I understand, Maddox and the city leaders want to it to be viewed as a town with a university in it.

I do wish the city would be more welcoming to its alumni and focus on younger professional retention. Ultimately, the more people embrace the city because of the friendliness, being family driven, and having good schools, the more growth you see. Plus a better environment for retirees. I just don't see a real emphasis on this. It caused me to move unfortunately years ago. I miss Tuscaloosa and love the university. I would love to come back and retire, but I don't see a reason too. I imagine there's many who feel the same way. If you talk to Auburn alumni, they feel the complete opposite about their town, because of how the city has embraced their university.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post
There's been a lot of focus and growth in the downtown. A lot more events too that has led to more community involvement and recruitment of entertainment. I think it's jelped improve the downtown and UA corridor.

That said, when Walt Maddox was running for governor, Iwe discussed some things about Tuscaloosa. Respectfully, I don't know if he's the best mayor to really focus on future growth and how to really maximize Tuscaloosa's potential. He really didn't seem to care about younger professional retention, attracting more businesses for future job growth, creating opportunities for those who didn't obtain degrees, or had a plan to mitigate rising crime. Not that Maddox is a bad mayor or a bad person, but I would like to see better competitors within the city and someome who draws out plans to focus on certain areas.

You would have thought with the university's exposure during a great football run, it would have led to more explosive growth in the area and the city maximizing on the revenue. But I think the leadership in tact really didn't take advantage.

Not all of this is on Walt or the city leaders either. But I do wish the Tuscaloosa economy wasn't 100% dependent on Mercedes and the university. There's just not a plan to diversify it, looking at the ever growing tech industry that could bring better higher paying jobs to the area, or a real plan in sight for middle to lower income areas. There's still a large number of people who travel to Birmingham throughout the week for their jobs.
What industry does the city of Auburn have that Tuscaloosa doesn't? I've said it before and I know it's controversial but Tuscaloosa is smack dab in the poorest region of the country and the demographics kind of limits what we can be. As far as crime goes, I've pointed out a couple pages ago that while the crime is bad in Tuscaloosa it is bad everywhere including that pristine Auburn people like to rave about. In fact, Auburn for it's size has some very heinous crimes out there that people forget about. They've had a few students raped/murdered and burned over the past 10 years. They have outsiders assaulting students in apartment complexes. They have ride share drivers drugging female riders. I have a daughter and I'm confident in saying that I feel Tuscaloosa is a safer place than Auburn. Tuscaloosa has a bunch of petty crimes and the heinous acts are not really close to campus and avoidable.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 11:43 PM

Chad, unfortunately, this board is wide open, which means it's open to a lot of losers who come here to hate on UA or wonder why UA didn't make them a better person. I agree, what the hell does Auburn have that Tuscaloosa doesn't have? The infatuation here is interesting and obvious. The University of Alabama is not responsible for anyone who graduates and proceeds to lose in life. Hell, the "Unibomber" is a Harvard grad. And, so is the UAH professor who shot and killed two other faculty members a few years ago. But, The University of Alabama is "UNMATCHED" in this state for creating "WINNERS"'. The time I spent as a student at The University of Alabama was the best years of my life. I learned more and experienced life more in those four years that played a major role in my successes. I'm a fortunate person and I'm happy and proud to be a BAMA grad. For those who aren't, I feel sorry for you. That said, no other University/ College in this state can compete with The University of Alabama in "Production". From Rhodes, Goldwater, Truman, Marshall, Mitchell, etc. Scholars:, or, direct competitions, The University of Alabama students reign. Maybe, the whiners should ask why Auburn can't compete with UA in these areas. But, I expect they'll continue their ignorant, curious whine. Anyway, ROLL TIDE FOREVER!!! We'll continue to kick ass. Also, a new cohort study from BAMA grads who entered UA from 2003 (Dr. Witt's first year) until now has shown that UA students and grads from this cohort show even more allegiance to The University of Alabama and, are even better donors, than their predecessors. It's one of the reasons the latest Capital Campaign has shattered the record for any other University in this State with over 2 years remaining. It's wonderful to talk to and be around "winner" UA grads, everyday. They are here and they are strong. I love it!!! No loser is going to tell me different. RTR

Last edited by Packer16; Aug 14, 2024 at 12:54 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 12:10 AM

Also, Chad, reading comprehension is not most of this thread's strong point. Amazing how those who claim to have high verbal scores on tests can't understand the written word. LOL RTR

Last edited by Packer16; Aug 16, 2024 at 2:30 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 1:40 PM

Packer: I share the same sentiment and love for the University. In saying that, I don't think the University or Tuscaloosa is beyond constructive criticism as long as it is "Constructive". Like all of you in here, I want the best for the University. I guess I take things personally when all I see from grads/fans of other schools put us down without any true research on their end. And maybe also it's the constant uplifting message of our rival in-state school from outsiders.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 3:02 PM

Agreed. There is a lot of information that has been posted on this thread that seems to either be ignored or just simply not understood. I know for a fact, The University of Alabama is in great shape. An administrator from Penn State visited the campus recently and was amazed at the city, the campus, and the system of operation the Univesity has in place. People need to go back and read a few years back because I try to back just about everything I post with a link or some other means. I'm fortunate enough to know some people with their finger on the pulse of the University's decisions, moves, plans, etc. I'm certainly not going to share everything, but, the trajectory is definitely pointing upward and huge things are on the horizon. This enfatuation some have with Auburn is interesting. Believe me, in the academic world, just like in the athletic world, they are known for being an average, cheating institution. They'll sell their souls for some good press. Anyway, I'll continue to post as long as people want real information about The University of Alabama. If not, I'll do something else and let the board be a bunch of uninformed complainers.

Last edited by Packer16; Aug 21, 2024 at 8:16 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 1:56 PM

New Hydrologic Facility

https://www.usgs.gov/news/national-n...ass-hydrologic Looks great. It is located on the north side of campus, south of Jack Warner Pkwy, and in between Randall Way and Kirkbride Lane. It has about 92,000 sq feet of space.

Last edited by atlanta68; Aug 19, 2024 at 4:00 AM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer16 View Post
Agreed. There is a lot of information that has been posted on this thread that seems to either be ignored or just simply not understood. I know for a fact, The University of Alabama is in great shape. An administrator from Penn State visited the campus recently and was amazed at the city, the campus, and the system of operation the Univesity has in place. People need to go back and read a few years back because I try to back just about everything I post with a link or some other means. I'm fortunate enough to know some people with their pulse on the University's decisions, moves, plans, etc. I'm certainly not going to share everything, but, the trajectory is definitely pointing upward and huge things are on the horizon. This enfatuation some have with Auburn is interesting. Believe me, in the academic world, just like in the athletic world, they are known for being an average cheating institution. They'll sell their souls for some good press. Anyway, I'll continue to post as long as people want real information about The University of Alabama. If not, I'll do something else and let the board be a bunch of uninformed complainers.

NO one here thinks Auburn is the Harvard of the South. However, it is a fact that it has a better academic rep than UA within Alabama. More Alabamians choose to attend AU than UA. UA does not have higher admission standards than AU, which makes this fact even more disturbing. This is not acceptable to me.

Why would any alumnus be ok with this? You would not be ok with Auburn having a better football program, but for some reason, when it comes to academics, some UA alumni are ok with it. I KNOW UA has more potential for greatness, and that is why I won't shut up about it. Maybe Tuscaloosa's higher crime rate has something do with it as well, but UA's Board has less control over that than they do academic reputation.

Last edited by atlanta68; Aug 17, 2024 at 2:13 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta68 View Post
However, it is a fact that it has a better academic rep than UA within Alabama. More Alabamians choose to attend AU than UA. UA does not have higher admission standards than AU, which makes this fact even more disturbing. This is not acceptable to me.
Atlanta,
It's not like AU has a huge advantage of in-state students compared to UA. We still have a lot of in-state students but it just feels like we don't since we upped our enrollment so much over the last several years and there is only so much we can take from in-state. Also, there are a multitude of reasons why students attend one school over another. Many kids want to go to school where their friends are going and a lot of time that is cyclical. Huntsville has always been more AU lean so more high school students want to go to AU, but the year I graduated from high school there were a majority of students that went to UA. Unfortunately, UA also has a reputation that we've "earned" over the years and that is that UA is known as the party school where hard drugs are found in more abundance than AU. We had a few high profile incidents where fraternities were found trafficking cocaine and their houses were kicked off campus. I was in a fraternity at UA and that brings a lot of misconceptions such as we're not serious about school and UA is one of the largest greek affiliated schools in the country. Parents are noticing and pushing their kids to the "quiet" colleges. That is something UA needs to do better at and it's just hard to overcome the years of that reputation. It seems like everything UA does is put under a microscope more so than any other school in this state. So when something bad happens it stays in the news and is rehashed more than the good news.

In saying all that above, I believe UA is gaining ground in academic reputation and we are seeing more in-state students enrolling at UA. Our research facilities are top notch and there really is no denying that. If a parent toured both UA and AU you cannot tell me that AU is head and shoulders better than UA when it comes to facilities and what we provide to the student. I keep hearing from others that say that Auburn is a nicer town and they prefer that over Tuscaloosa, but I just don't see it. Tuscaloosa has way more to offer than Auburn. Auburn is a plain, boring, sterile city that offers nothing more than studies; whereas, Tuscaloosa provides much more entertainment for students and young professionals.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post

When I was attending UA, I noticed the same issues with Tuscaloosa's growth. There’s potential here, but it feels like the city’s relying too much on the university and not diversifying enough. I came across a great article on the best assignment writing service uk, and it really made me think about how crucial it is to plan and build for the future. Tuscaloosa could benefit from new strategies that cater to all residents, not just students and university staff.

Last edited by Lestorke80; Aug 21, 2024 at 1:46 AM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 4:44 PM

Academic Reputation? You mean, like cheating in Auburn’s Pharmacy School?

https://www.wspa.com/news/cheating-i...l-of-pharmacy/

Like, classes in which all students were awarded “A’s” for absolutely no work or attendance?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/at-aubu...ide-1440635278

Or, SACS Probation?

https://www.gadsdentimes.com/story/n...n/32328662007/

And, of course, the more visible examples of the culture, the hiring and adoration of Bruce ”Show-cause” Pearl and Hugh “Burner-phone” Freeze.

And, many more incidents. Auburn is the Joseph Goebbels of public colleges. What is academic reputation? How is that measured? Opinions of people who aren’t there? Maybe, at rival schools? Hmmm.
I have tried to tell people on this board that the entrance requirements on the website are absolute bull shit. Auburn has “1st Wave” students that are accepted immediately. The others are put on a “waiting list” (to make it seem like they are selective). They gather their data and give it to mags that rank colleges, then, letters of acceptance are sent out to the rest and the door is wide open. (They are not the only school who uses this method. Some other schools play the game. Increasingly, more schools are refusing). If you are gullible enough to believe Auburn when they reported their 2023 entering freshmen class had a higher average GPA than Harvard University’s reported entering class, then, you are one of their useful idiots.
I say, if Auburn claims to admit only a higher level of student, then, why can’t they get more “cream-of-the-crop” National Merit Scholars? It’s not like they aren’t trying. The University of Alabama enrolled 300 last fall. Auburn enrolled 25. The State of Alabama produced around 150 National Merit Scholars, last year. The vast majority enrolled at the University of Alabama. Auburn only enrolled 19. I would say, the University of Alabama is attracting the “Best and the Brightest” from this State and when we get them, they are taught by a better faculty in better facilities and in a better environment. Undergrads at UA have opportunities to become involved in research that is unmatched in this state and by almost all other SEC institutions. Our undergrads produce. Many National Scholars are produced by the University of Alabama. We’re one of the very top Goldwater Scholar (STEM) producers in the Nation.

There are many different reasons high school kids choose which college to attend. Chad named some. I talked to someone who works in student recruitment and asked her what makes a student from Alabama not come to UA? One of the reasons she hears is that the University is “too big”. Alabama is a rural state and many want to go to a smaller college, like Montevallo. Others want a country atmosphere. (they name Auburn and Mississippi State as being “down home”). Sometimes, it’s simply money. Tuition is high enough, but, the fees are even higher. None of them mentioned academic reputation.

Well, as for size, that is not going to change. As a matter of fact, the plan is to level off the undergrad number and double the graduate school, taking enrollment to the 50,000 range. UA has worked hard to develop a National “brand” and has built a network of recruiters all over the Nation. We’ve got students all over the country who want to have the “BAMA Experience”. The alumni base is growing with students who have a stronger allegiance to the University and that is already paying dividends. So, some kids who are interested, but, intimidated by the size (And, that even means the physical size of the campus, in some cases) will just have to go elsewhere.

As for money, over 1,000 new endowed scholarships have been funded from donations to the Campaign in the last two years. These scholarships are geared toward in-state students, so, I expect some in-state students with financial issues to get help there. It takes a little over a year for an endowed scholarship to be invested and reap benefits.

That said, the in-state enrollment as increased over the last few years.

https://news.ua.edu/2023/09/in-state...rd-enrollment/

There is only so much to tap into. The State population is growing slowly and fewer kids are choosing college. I would love to get them all, but, it’s a free world.

Last edited by Packer16; Aug 22, 2024 at 10:59 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 5:27 PM

By the way, as classes start tomorrow, the student recruiter I spoke to said to expect another stellar Freshmen class this Fall and for enrollment to reach well over 40,000. So much for those who said students wouldn't come here because Saban retired. She told me, "Receipts are up!" RTR

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 6:28 PM

Packer: I didn't want to quote the whole thing since it takes up so much space, but I couldn't have said it any better than what you posted. I'm not sure how much our administration wants to be involved with the "rankings" game but it seems like quite a few universities (one in particular in state) is all about playing that game it seems.

I'm looking forward to seeing the stats of the new freshman class and hopefully stats for graduate school. Guess we got about a month before all that is known

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Academic Reputation? You mean, like cheating in Auburn’s Pharmacy School?

https://www.wspa.com/news/cheating-i...l-of-pharmacy/

Like, classes in which all students were awarded “A’s” for absolutely no work or attendance?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/at-aubu...ide-1440635278

Or, SACS Probation?

https://www.gadsdentimes.com/story/n...n/32328662007/

And, of course, the more visible examples of the culture, the hiring and adoration of Bruce ”Show-cause” Pearl and Hugh “Burner-phone” Freeze.

And, many more incidents. Auburn is the Joseph Goebbels of public colleges. What is academic reputation? How is that measured? Opinions of people who aren’t there? Maybe, at rival schools? Hmmm.
I have tried to tell people on this board that the entrance requirements on the website are absolute bull shit. Auburn has “1st Wave” students that are accepted immediately. The others are put on a “waiting list” (to make it seem like they are selective). They gather their data and give it to mags that rank colleges, then, letters of acceptance are sent out to the rest and the door is wide open. (They are not the only school who uses this method. Some other schools play the game. Increasingly, more schools are refusing). If you are gullible enough to believe Auburn when they reported their 2023 entering freshmen class had a higher average GPA than Harvard University’s reported entering class, then, you are one of their useful idiots.
I say, if Auburn claims to admit only a higher level of student, then, why can’t they get more “cream-of-the-crop” National Merit Scholars? It’s not like they aren’t trying. The University of Alabama enrolled 300 last fall. Auburn enrolled 25. The State of Alabama produced around 150 National Merit Scholars, last year. The vast majority enrolled at the University of Alabama. Auburn only enrolled 19. I would say, the University of Alabama is attracting the “Best and the Brightest” from this State and when we get them, they are taught by a better faculty in better facilities and in a better environment. Undergrads at UA have opportunities to become involved in research that is unmatched in this state and by almost all of the SEC institutions. Our undergrads produce. Many National Scholars are produced by the University of Alabama. We’re one of the very top Goldwater Scholar (STEM) producers in the Nation.

There are many different reasons high school kids choose which college to attend. Chad named some. I talked to someone who works in student recruitment and asked her what makes a student from Alabama not come to UA? One of the reasons she hears is that the University is “too big”. Alabama is a rural state and many want to go to a smaller college, like Montevallo. Others want a country atmosphere. (they name Auburn and Mississippi State as being “down home”). Sometimes, it’s simply money. Tuition is high enough, but, the fees are even higher. None of them mentioned academic reputation.

Well, as for size, that is not going to change. As a matter of fact, the plan is to level off the undergrad number and double the graduate school, taking enrollment to the 50,000 range. UA has worked hard to develop a National “brand” and has built a network of recruiters all over the Nation. We’ve got students all over the country who want to have the “BAMA Experience”. The alumni base is growing with students who have a stronger allegiance to the University and that is already paying dividends. So, some kids who are interested, but, intimidated by the size (And, that even means the physical size of the campus, in some cases) will just have to go elsewhere.

As for money, over 1,000 new endowed scholarships have been funded from donations to the Campaign in the last two years. These scholarships are geared toward in-state students, so, I expect some in-state students with financial issues to get help there. It takes a little over a year for an endowed scholarship to be invested and reap benefits.

That said, the in-state enrollment as increased over the last few years.

https://news.ua.edu/2023/09/in-state...rd-enrollment/

There is only so much to tap into. The State population is growing slowly and fewer kids are choosing college. I would love to get them all, but, it’s a free world.
I think the best measure for perceptions of academic prowess is which state school has the most in state students WITHOUT having to pay in state students of avg quality to attend, and WITHOUT having to keep standards below what they are at most other flagship schools. NO other state flagship has as wide of a range of student quality as UA.

It is great we have far more NMS students than Auburn. However, their avg student quality is still higher simply cause they keep far more lower tier students from gaining admission. They only let them transfer in after proving themselves at AUM. A smart strategy IMO. Why can't we use Shelton State in a similar way?

And yes, I am aware that we have increased the numbers of instate students, it not so much the percentage. Still, if Auburn is beating us in that metric, it reveals a problem IMO. IF UA had higher admission standards, and then had fewer in state students, I would not be complaining. I believe in the potential for UA more than the Board does. Just imagine if UA had BOTH a better academic rep AND all of the things that make it far and away superior to Auburn. It would not have to pay the great students to come here. Who wouldn't want to attend UA then? It would be rejecting applicants at the same rate as UGA.

FINALLY, if Packer is right about the University's plans to, from now on, grow by simply adding more grad students, I am ALL for that. Hallelujah!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 11:35 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta68 View Post
I think the best measure for perceptions of academic prowess is which state school has the most in state students WITHOUT having to pay in state students of avg quality to attend, and WITHOUT having to keep standards below what they are at most other flagship schools. NO other state flagship has as wide of a range of student quality as UA.

It is great we have far more NMS students than Auburn. However, their avg student quality is still higher simply cause they keep far more lower tier students from gaining admission. They only let them transfer in after proving themselves at AUM. A smart strategy IMO. Why can't we use Shelton State in a similar way?

And yes, I am aware that we have increased the numbers of instate students, it not so much the percentage. Still, if Auburn is beating us in that metric, it reveals a problem IMO. IF UA had higher admission standards, and then had fewer in state students, I would not be complaining. I believe in the potential for UA more than the Board does. Just imagine if UA had BOTH a better academic rep AND all of the things that make it far and away superior to Auburn. It would not have to pay the great students to come here. Who wouldn't want to attend UA then? It would be rejecting applicants at the same rate as UGA.

FINALLY, if Packer is right about the University's plans to, from now on, grow by simply adding more grad students, I am ALL for that. Hallelujah!
Well, AUM is a university and Shelton is a community college. The true way to measure a university's stature is by the research it does. Growing with grad students and expanding master's and doctoral programs is the way to go!

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post
Well, AUM is a university and Shelton is a community college. The true way to measure a university's stature is by the research it does. Growing with grad students and expanding master's and doctoral programs is the way to go!
I agree! I am very happy if what he is saying is true. But the Grad School program would grow even faster if the undergrad part of the university had a greater academic reputation. You think a graduate of UCLA or other top notch undergrad programs is more likely to go to grad school at U of Florida or UA? UGA or UA?

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:29 PM

Interesting article on high tech IT in Tuscaloosa. RTR

https://www.nucamp.co/blog/coding-bo...uccess-stories

Another "good news" article.

https://patch.com/alabama/tuscaloosa...worth-more-23m

It seems things are looking up. RTR

Last edited by Packer16; Yesterday at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Today, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Interesting article on high tech IT in Tuscaloosa. RTR

https://www.nucamp.co/blog/coding-bo...uccess-stories

Another "good news" article.

https://patch.com/alabama/tuscaloosa...worth-more-23m

It seems things are looking up. RTR
Wow! Great finds Packer! Those are both great news and it answers another person's concern about industry in Tuscaloosa that isn't keeping graduates/younger people here. Those are the future and Tuscaloosa is well primed in attracting younger graduates.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast