HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
About 90% of the homeless in California are not from out of state, they are from California and they lost their housing. Don't see why LA would be any different than the rest of the state since 40% of the homeless in California are from the LA area thus it would throw off the 90% figure.
https://homelessness.ucsf.edu/sites/...port_62023.pdf
San Francisco's most recent homeless count revealed that 40% of the homeless there are not from there. We don't have a figure for Los Angeles, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if 40% (or more) of LA's homeless are not from LA.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
San Francisco's most recent homeless count revealed that 40% of the homeless there are not from there. We don't have a figure for Los Angeles, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if 40% (or more) of LA's homeless are not from LA.
40% not from SF doesn't mean a thing, since SF city limits are very small. Its actually impressive that 60% SF homeless are actually SF natives.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if 90%+ of SF homeless were Cali natives.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
False. According to that survey, 90% answered that they were "last housed" in California before becoming homeless. It doesn't mean they're from California. And it means that at least 10% come here already homeless... Anyone who knows about the homeless situation here knows that many of them are from out of state - a lot of drug addicts and delusional people. They struggle to make it here, maybe hanging on for a while, before ending up on the streets. It's an old story. You also get a lot of selection bias and garbage data in these kinds of studies (relying on self-selected, self-reported surveys). The crazies aren't gonna be filling out a questionnaire.
Not to mention, a mentally ill/druggie doesnt really know where they are. Its crazy these surveys dont take the time to verify their answers.

"Are you from CA?"
"Uhhh... sure, why not."
"Ok Then!"

Meanwhile, every weird story recently involving a homeless person is from somewhere else, per an actual investigation by the police/media.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Not to mention, a mentally ill/druggie doesnt really know where they are. Its crazy these surveys dont take the time to verify their answers.

"Are you from CA?"
"Uhhh... sure, why not."
"Ok Then!"

Meanwhile, every weird story recently involving a homeless person is from somewhere else, per an actual investigation by the police/media.
The social workers who are part of the homeless industrial complex who administer these surveys also have a built-in incentive to produce a certain outcome - one that maximizes their funding and political support for their pet projects. So they want to make it seem like all that money is going to help our fellow Californians, when the reality is that most of it just disappears into a black hole of graft and corruption.

And yeah, every high-profile crime involving a homeless person recently in the news it seems like the suspect was from out of state. It's a pattern that everyone has noticed.

But the tide seems to be turning. Our political leaders are starting to realize that their real constituencies are the voters, taxpayers and people who follow the rules, not the vagrants, the mentally ill and their advocates.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
40% not from SF doesn't mean a thing, since SF city limits are very small. Its actually impressive that 60% SF homeless are actually SF natives. It wouldn't surprise me at all if 90%+ of SF homeless were Cali natives.
First of all, anyone who had a place to live in San Francisco before becoming homeless, even if only for a short period, is counted as being "from" San Francisco. Second, per the 2020 census only 41% of San Franciscans were born anywhere in California. Even fewer will have been born in the city itself. Thus, it is very unlikely that the city's homeless population consists either of 60% SF natives or 90% California natives.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
40% not from SF doesn't mean a thing, since SF city limits are very small. Its actually impressive that 60% SF homeless are actually SF natives.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if 90%+ of SF homeless were Cali natives.
There's zero proof to that number. None.
A random survey by some random organization isn't proof of anything.
Its just someone's word.

Meanwhile, someone on reddit who works on Skid Row with the homeless says almost all them are from the south.
Thats their word.

Send em back to these horrible states.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 9:30 PM

Yesterday or the day before, I saw a local news story on TV (KCAL or ABC-7, I don't remember) about the homeless in San Francisco.

They've been doing homeless encampment sweeps and towing away and impounding some motorhomes---with the homeless folk being left to fend for themselves; shot of homeless woman crying and saying that her stuff was taken away and put in a trash truck.

Cut to the reporter interviewing Mayor Breed; according to the Mayor, they can go to a shslter.

Cut to the reporter back at on the sidewalk somewhere in the City; reporter asked one of the homeless people "You were told to go to a shelter." Her response was "no available beds at the shelter. They took away my stuff and told me to go to a shelter, but there's no room."

Cut to recent b-roll of homeless people wandering on the sidewalk, with voice-over of reporter saying that San Francisco is busing homeless people out of the city.

My conclusion: Homeless situation is not being solved, these orders to clear encampments is just traumatically moving these homeless people around.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 9:39 PM

anecdotal but when i lived in san jose and rode the VTA light rail almost everyday i did notice alot of country drawls amongst the rougher looking folks riding the trains.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Lol, that survey isn't the reality. That survey gets passed around and nobody bothers to look they dont even verify anything. Its just a dumb survey, where anyone can lie on it.

Plus, if someone from Kansas moves to CA with not enough saved up and cant afford the rent, ARE THEY FROM CA? NO.
That survey is beyond stupid. "Lost housing in CA" is vague because they want it to be vague.
Quote:
There's zero proof to that number. None.
A random survey by some random organization isn't proof of anything.
Its just someone's word.

Meanwhile, someone on reddit who works on Skid Row with the homeless says almost all them are from the south.
Thats their word.

Send em back to these horrible states.

That survey is from the University of California, San Francisco. It's the largest most comprehensive survey in California in decades.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
That survey is from the University of California, San Francisco. It's the largest most comprehensive survey in California in decades.
Its a survey with no verificiation. Anyone can say anything.
Get back to me when the university is actually investigating the truth, not someone (likely a mentally ill or druggie)s word. They are the most honest people after all, you are right.
You are so right man.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Its a survey with no verificiation. Anyone can say anything.
Get back to me when the university is actually investigating the truth, not someone (likely a mentally ill or druggie)s word. They are the most honest people after all, you are right.
You are so right man.
Yet you trust some random post on reddit... ok.
Majority of homeless in CA are definitely not from the south, simply because they do not behave or talk like they are from the south, nor do poor people tend to move from the cheaper south to more expensive CA. CA is a huge net domestic migration exporter to other states, census also backs it up.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions