HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 27, 2024, 2:05 PM

I think there was a thread for it, but did it go by another name then?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2024, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
I thought there was a thread for this but don't see it.
Anyway just announced today on PBJ they have pulled permits and are starting construction at the end of September.
I think the thread would have been called Adams & Central because we did not have a name for it. But its so dead you could probably just make a new one and nobody would mind.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2024, 5:02 PM
Skyriser

No thread was created. Usually threads don't start until there's actual construction activity, but w/e.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2024, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
No thread was created. Usually threads don't start until there's actual construction activity, but w/e.
Yep, it is probably being confused w/ another project.

Here's the text from the article:

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...n-phoenix.html

Quote:
Vertical construction is inching closer for downtown Phoenix's next major hotel — called The Edith.

The $140 million high-rise project will total 180,000 square feet across 17 stories and 236 rooms, as well as 23,000 square feet of meeting space, a fitness center and spa, a ground-floor cafe and restaurant and a rooftop pool and bar. The Business Journal first reported on the proposed hotel in 2023, when high-profile Valley developer Sunbelt Holdings was linked to the project.

The Edith will be developed on a former parking lot adjacent to the One North Central Building, formerly called the Phelps Dodge Building, and the Hanny's building.

The hotel obtained a key building permit from the city of Phoenix in July that was valued at $110 million and is set to expire in July 2026.

Once open, The Edith will help attract more visitors and events to downtown Phoenix as the city works on establishing an entertainment district and revitalized convention center to compete with other major U.S. markets.

A high-profile development team for the project now includes several well-known names, including Phoenix-based Sunbelt Holdings, Scottsdale-based BB Hotels & Resorts, California-based Pacific Hospitality Group and Mortenson.

Edith hotel construction to start by end of September
Other companies that are working on the project are architectural firm Gensler, PK Associates Structural Engineers and Largo Concrete Inc. In an August LinkedIn post, Landon Arciero, Arizona division manager for Largo Concrete, said construction is expected to start by the end of September on The Edith hotel.

The project was initially proposed in 2018 following a city of Phoenix request for proposals for land it owned at Central Avenue and Adams Street. The Covid-19 pandemic and the state of the economy put a wrench in the hotel plans for several years but the developers have since brought on new partners such as Pacific Hospitality Group.

The hotel will be part of Pacific Hospitality's Meritage collection, the developer previously told the Business Journal. Pacific Hospitality Group has also worked on another downtown Phoenix hotel with Mortenson called the Hyatt Place Downtown.

The Edith will be one of the first ground-up hotels to be developed in downtown Phoenix in years. The city also wants to expand the Phoenix Convention Center south building in the future with a new hotel comprising 800 to 1,200 rooms.

Meanwhile, developers have turned aging buildings downtown into renovated hotel rooms such as the new Moxy. The historic Hotel San Carlos is also undergoing an $80 million makeover.
Re: the bolded text, anyone have any updates on where we are w/ the South Building? Last I remember, the City had approved hiring a consultant for the next phase in the process? Or maybe I'm confusing it w/ the possible formation of the entertainment district but I know it's tied to the PCC expansion.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2024, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Yep, it is probably being confused w/ another project.

Here's the text from the article:

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...n-phoenix.html

Re: the bolded text, anyone have any updates on where we are w/ the South Building? Last I remember, the City had approved hiring a consultant for the next phase in the process? Or maybe I'm confusing it w/ the possible formation of the entertainment district but I know it's tied to the PCC expansion.
Kind of a weird frame. This hotel is boutique has like barely 100 rooms, right? Its not going to have a big impact on hotel space downtown.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2024, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Kind of a weird frame. This hotel is boutique has like barely 100 rooms, right? Its not going to have a big impact on hotel space downtown.
236 rooms, 17 floors

Old Posted Aug 27, 2024, 9:51 PM
Chase M

As much as I wish it we’re taller this will be a welcome addition and add some much needed infill!

I found this which seems to give us a hint of the interior.
https://www.curioso.us/projects/edith

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 6:28 PM

Side note, that south convention center hotel would be a sheraton sized building somewhere on that site. The Sheraton downtown has 1000 rooms.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 12:35 AM
Modulator

We have a groundbreaking! I can officially confirm that Edith has started! Construction fence up, equipment on site, trees coming down and concrete coming up.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 2:39 AM
Skyriser

Bah. I wanted no news, no construction, just crushed hopes. I was there for the drought from 2009 - 2012ish and the newbies should suffer it too.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 2:06 PM

Well played, combusean. Well played!!!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 3:42 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Bah. I wanted no news, no construction, just crushed hopes. I was there for the drought from 2009 - 2012ish and the newbies should suffer it too.

It's only 211' if that helps soften the blow

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 4:01 PM

Do we have a thread...Edith?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2024, 6:20 PM
Chase M

Central Station crane coming down on PHX City Cam.

https://www.phoenix.gov/citycam

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 5:50 PM

Demolition permits issued for Metrocenter Mall in Phoenix

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...x/75108341007/

Quote:
The group leading the redevelopment of Metrocenter Mall secured its first demolition permits, clearing the way for the mall, once the largest in the Southwest, to be razed.

Phoenix issued the permits on Sept. 5, according to city documents, which will allow the asbestos abatement and demolition process to begin, possibly later this month.

In early August, Steve Betts, senior director for Concord Wilshire, one of the groups partnering to redevelop the mall, said the group was nearing closing on its financing, which would allow it to apply for the permits. The group, called Phoenix IG, is composed of Concord Wilshire, TLG Investment Partners and CDS International Holdings Inc.

At the time, Betts said the demolition would need to be done carefully because the mall was built at a time when asbestos was common in building materials. Asbestos will be removed first as demolition will occur as the removal goes along. Demolition and grading will take about 10 months, Betts said in August.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 3:19 PM

Morning! Movement at Central & Camelback building... Also, project off 2nd Ave and McKinley(Northwest Corner) has already started....

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleve View Post
Morning! Movement at Central & Camelback building... Also, project off 2nd Ave and McKinley(Northwest Corner) has already started....
wait which project is the one on the northwest corner?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Wow, really, did someone take over Camelback? Hopefully it opens one day!lol. What’s going up on 2nd Ave and McKinley?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 3:52 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Morning! Movement at Central & Camelback building...
I've seen on-again, off-again movement there for five years, but still no steady progress towards an eventual opening. Meanwhile the northwest and southwest corners seems to have nothing go on. Only the new Henry restaurant replacing Applebee's seems to be happing with any speed. This is such a prime intersection. It mystifies me that developers haven't been able to make more happen there.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Wow, really, did someone take over Camelback? Hopefully it opens one day!lol. What’s going up on 2nd Ave and McKinley?
Its so far along im sure somebody will scoop it up for a good deal and get it ot market.

Its not like W6 back in 2010 where it spent years as a skeleton exposed to the elements.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest