HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Nice little infographic article on capping highways: https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20240821.html

The top image of a pre-i95 waterfront is gut-wrenching.
Here's a question for everybody, based on this. What would the ideal, perfect Philly waterfront look like? I've been thinking about this, especially because I was in Boston last week. Now, Boston's waterfront is practically perfect and no one can beat it, but that doesn't change that Philly's could be greatly improved.

I would like the historic buildings like the Market Street Ferries, but at the same time I would want it to be as expansive as the existing/future waterfront. Ideally, no I-95. And hey, while we're dreaming, how about the SS United States as the centerpiece?

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 1:16 PM

Boston does have a great waterfront, particularly the north end. Philadelphia could have had elements of that if 95 didn't plow through, but I'm sure it was in pretty bad shape. Would probably have given us some pretty interesting buildings though.
https://digital.librarycompany.org/i...gitool%3A62154

Baltimore has a pretty nice waterfront, especially fells point. Seattle is going to have a nice one too now that the highway is gone. Chicago is impressive but not intimate enough for my liking.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 2:32 PM

Eliminate the the inland side of Delaware Avenue through CC. In the narrow areas (that aren't capped) build tall and dense enough to completely block out 95.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Eliminate the the inland side of Delaware Avenue through CC. In the narrow areas (that aren't capped) build tall and dense enough to completely block out 95.
Love it. Del Ave is just as or more damaging to the waterfront connection as 95.

There is no reason to have a 6 lane highway next to 95 that allows dip$hits to drive 90 miles an hour through a city when people are walking/running/biking and enjoying the waterfront.

Del Ave IS the problem.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 7:54 PM
Chris

I know Subruba Park has been open for years, but would it have made more sense to build a larger venue in the sports complex instead of Chester?

Philadelphia Union's possible Subaru Park expansion would sacrifice much of river view
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...iver-seat.html

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
I know Subruba Park has been open for years, but would it have made more sense to build a larger venue in the sports complex instead of Chester?

Philadelphia Union's possible Subaru Park expansion would sacrifice much of river view
Or at least have built it closer to the train station. (I know there's a shuttle, but it gives people one more reason to drive)

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post

Yes, it would have made more sense to build a larger venue in the sports complex.
It would have made even more sense to just have them play at the Linc, which sits empty 300* days of the year, including most of the MLS season.
But good ol' Eddie Rendell said the stadium would rescue the city of Chester from economic disaster, with all of its opportunities for investment and employment. (How's that working out, Chester?)

*- 300 days is conservative. I just counted all of the events scheduled for the stadium in 2024, and there were only 30. So that's 336 days this year (leap year) where it was unused. Your tax dollars at work.

Last edited by thoughtcriminal; Yesterday at 12:32 PM.

Old Posted Today, 7:49 PM
PHL

I think there's legitimate value in them having their own venue

Old Posted Today, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
I think there's legitimate value in them having their own venue
Agreed. They’ve been protective over others using though. We went to a huge marching band competition there back in 2018; fans loved the location and it was well attended. But stadium ownership banned further marching band comps bc the feet messed up the turf. I call BS on that. Events like that coupled with an economic business plan around the stadium, would be great for Chester.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development