HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Today, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
For the lot at Grosvenor @ Wentworth (874/876/880 Grosvenor Ave), it seems that a revised design was approved by the City Centre Community Committee on June 25, 2024. It also seems that an extension of time on the zoning and variances was granted by City Council in July.

The original design was 26 units and was approved back in the winter of 2020. I'm assuming that the pandemic and then rising interest rates is what put the project on hold. Here is a rendering of the original design:

And here is a rendering of the new design. It looks like a partial 5th floor was added. Not sure how many units are in the new building.

Hopefully the project moves forward now that a revised design has been approved.
It's so much shittier now

Old Posted Today, 3:51 AM

As for the project at McMillan @ Stafford, I haven't seen anything come through City Council recently. This is the project that was originally rejected by the community committee, but then the developer appealed the community committee decision and the project went to the Appeals Committee. The Appeals Committee (which did not include the local councilor, Sherri Rollins) then overturned the rejected variances and allowed the project, causing a bunch of controversy. That was back in January 2021, and the only thing that has happened on-site since then is the existing houses were demolished.

As far as I can tell, the developer is working on a new design. Here was the original design, which contained 22 residential units and 2 commercial units:

Looking at the architect's website, it seems that the new design is 30 residential units with 2,565 sq ft of commercial space (not sure how many commercial units). Here's what is currently shown on the architect's website:

Website: https://www.dwelldesignbuilders.com/...olio/mcmillian

Old Posted Today, 4:05 AM

Why do these bean counters hate colour?

Old Posted Today, 4:12 AM

Thanks for the quick info!

The new stafford proposal is a little bland but still a definite improvement over the initial design (which was a totally ridiculous attempt at making one new building look like 4 old ones pasted together).

The updated Grosvenor proposal looks like it might be a bit of a downgrade but the two renderings are not the same quality so it's not really a fair comparison. The absolutely gigantic cornice isn't doing it any favours.

Old Posted Today, 4:31 AM

This has to be one of the ugliest and cheapest looking buildings to go up in Winnipeg in the last 10 years. I have no problem with the orange colour, but every single other element of the design is just god awful. The materials used, the way the siding panels look like different tones, the way the materials meet at corners and at the roof, the cheap ass, ugly balconies, that weird smooth grey patch between the windows and the balconies (seriously wtf). This is industrial wasteland architecture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post

Old Posted Today, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
This has to be one of the ugliest and cheapest looking buildings to go up in Winnipeg in the last 10 years. I have no problem with the orange colour, but every single other element of the design is just god awful. The materials used, the way the siding panels look like different tones, the way the materials meet at corners and at the roof, the cheap ass, ugly balconies, that weird smooth grey patch between the windows and the balconies (seriously wtf). This is industrial wasteland architecture.
I agree, it belongs in an industrial park.

Old Posted Today, 1:32 PM

That entire development is hideous, it just reeks of cheapness. Looks like it was built by Shindico. Our city should demand higher standards.

Old Posted Today, 2:20 PM

I actually don't mind it. I think because it's in the village and there is already such a range of building designs, materials, heights and ages it actually blends in and provides some additional variety.

On the other hand, if the orange tin building was the only apartment building in a single family neighbourhood it would definitely stand out in a bad, bad way.

Old Posted Today, 3:01 PM

I have a bigger gripe with the dreary grey building facing Osbourne. At least the orange one behind it is slightly less visible. I don't mind the colour, it's the execution that's dreadful. The building on the former Dutch Maid site is much better, with its brick facade and spacious inset balconies.

Old Posted Today, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_vivant View Post
I have a bigger gripe with the dreary grey building facing Osbourne. At least the orange one behind it is slightly less visible. I don't mind the colour, it's the execution that's dreadful. The building on the former Dutch Maid site is much better, with its brick facade and spacious inset balconies.
The big difference being one was designed by our digital friend TrueViking and the other was designed by accountants. Can you figure which is which? 😂

Old Posted Today, 3:14 PM

Yeah, without a doubt that is a nicer building.

Would be interesting to see how the cost per square foot between the two buildings compare.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan