HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 4:36 PM

Seaglass

This development is modest in size but with 13 condos ranging in size from roughly 630 to 2500 square feet and priced from mid $700's to $2.7 million Seaglass is providing condos for the higher end market in Nanaimo.

https://mls-photos.ojo.ca/resizes/r/...5dfff9658.jpeg

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 9:59 PM
Website Manager

Nice. Lookst like that's right here on Newcastle Ave

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
Nice. Lookst like that's right here on Newcastle Ave
Indeed it is. The house comes down to make room. It's actually two buildings with one being on Newcastle and the other on Stewart.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 5:31 PM

Downtown facelift continues

Road work and streetscaping moves to the next stage. Having recently completed Front Street and Terminal Avenue the city now moves to the major retail street in Nanaimo, Commercial Street.

Recently completed:

Front Street

Terminal Avenue

https://www.nanaimo.ca/your-governme...ements-project

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 5:43 PM

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 6:32 PM

It's about time, to bring back the focus of city-building back to the traditional town centre, which, IMO, is still the most intresting part of the entire place. There is simply too much sprawl happening in Nanaimo.

If you neglect the centre, it starts to rot, and the undesirables start taking over. That's a real shame.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
It's about time, to bring back the focus of city-building back to the traditional town centre, which, IMO, is still the most intresting part of the entire place. There is simply too much sprawl happening in Nanaimo.

If you neglect the centre, it starts to rot, and the undesirables start taking over. That's a real shame.
Agreed. I grew up in Nanaimo between '97 and '09. And over the years I have been consistently frustrated with the squandered potential of the city.

People like to bash downtown because of the obvious social problems, but it is really a gem in the rough. If the city can leverage the incredible assets it has in its older areas -- especially the really beautiful and unique 'wheel-hub' street grid -- Nanaimo could really flourish.

It's a shame that all the development and infrastructure of the city for the past five decades has gone towards upholding the same bland-suburban-big-box-strip-mall development pattern that every other city in this country has slavishly devoted itself to. But I am hopeful that these big moves downtown are signalling an end to that.

Now we just need to turn the E&N into a proper LRT system and rebuild the malls and sprawl into proper human-scaled places. Come on Nanaimo, don't let me down! (haha who am I kidding)

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 7:18 PM

Nanaimo has good bones, glad to see a refocus on downtown. Lots of opportunities for density to be added to the layers of history within the radial, hub and spoke core of the city. Great to see these street improvements.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 9:00 PM

Nanaimo is really taking an interest in it's city core. In fact every project that I've posted about, minus three, have been within the city centre or very near centre.

Quote:
Now we just need to turn the E&N into a proper LRT system and rebuild the malls and sprawl into proper human-scaled places. Come on Nanaimo, don't let me down! (haha who am I kidding)
I support that LRT idea totally. Nanaimo is a fairly linear city given the ocean on one side and the mountains on the other. An LRT line using the available (under used) rail bed would connect every major mall in the city. A half dozen Metro Towns or Brentwood's and Oakridge's are just laying in wait. LOL

My personal favorite is Terminal Park mall which sits on a ridgeline and anything two floors or higher would have an unobsructed view to the Mainland and Vancouver. With a potential LRT right across the street.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 9:34 PM

Some updates

Lumina

Arc 21

Telus Living

Ocean view

Westmark

Cedar Ridge

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:32 PM

Watfield

Nanaimo council approves third phase of housing on Watfield Avenue
Fifty per cent of project’s 171 units will be two- and three-bedroom apartments

Quote:
Jeremy Holm, the city’s director of planning and development, described the property as located on a “significant corridor to downtown” ....

The buildings are five- and six-storey structures of a “contemporary design” and complement development completed on the north side of the 500 block of Third Street.

“Of interesting note, as proposed, we have 50 per cent, approximately, of the units … are two- and three-bedroom units, so a fairly significant addition to two- and three-bedroom units in a multi-storey form in that area,” said Holm. “Well-serviced by transit, close to amenities … it’s a welcomed addition to housing in that area.”

http://https://www.nanaimobulletin.c...avenue-7292419

Old Posted Today, 2:42 PM

1 Port Drive

1 PORT DRIVE

Quote:
City provides update on long-envisioned south downtown Nanaimo waterfront plans

NANAIMO — More than a decade after purchasing an unsightly waterfront lot, the City of Nanaimo believes extensive preparatory work will help unlock its potential, but it’s not clear when.

Nearly 27 acres of industrial land and water rights at 1 Port Dr. bought from CP Rail in 2013 (10 acres of which is developable) was the focus of a committee level overview this week.

Bill Corsan, the City’s corporate and business development director, expanded on potential of the lot just south of Port Place Shopping Centre...

With a variety of development options available, Corsan said a draft concept centres around mixed use, featuring commercial usage, housing and public space.

“I don’t think you want just housing, you want to have something else that will draw people down here,” Corsan said, pointing to community desires to create a more vibrant south downtown waterfront area.

Completed site remediation work included removing old buildings, docks and a wharf, while geotechnical and environmental studies have also been done...

Conceptually, a pair of residential towers up to 12 stories tall, supported by lower level commercial uses are envisioned, along with other multi-family developments.

Corsan said 1 Port Dr. is ideally suited to increase the number and type of housing options in the downtown area.

“It’s a great development site, it really changes the way Nanaimo’s waterfront looks, but it’s maybe not as many buildings as we might once have thought.”
Images: https://pub-nanaimo.escribemeetings....cumentId=52737

Text:https://nanaimonewsnow.com/2024/02/1...erfront-plans/

Old Posted Today, 6:53 PM

Metral Drive area

More family housing to be built in the Metral Drive area.

Quote:
The developer is proposing two five-storey buildings offering a total of 168 units on the site, located between the old Island Highway and the end of Bergen-Op-Zoom Drive that connects to Metral Drive and Arnhem Terrace.

https://www.nanaimobulletin.com/loca...anaimo-7435976

Old Posted Today, 7:12 PM

Four Building Light Industrial

Nanaimo is in desperate need of light industrial space.

Quote:
A light industrial development will fill an empty plot of land in south Nanaimo.

City council...gave the nod to a development application for a light industrial complex at 924 Old Victoria Rd.

The project calls for four buildings comprising a combined 17,000 square metres of floor space on 2.4 hectares of undeveloped land.

https://www.nanaimobulletin.com/loca...th-end-7357169

Old Posted Today, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitchensis View Post
Agreed. I grew up in Nanaimo between '97 and '09. And over the years I have been consistently frustrated with the squandered potential of the city.

People like to bash downtown because of the obvious social problems, but it is really a gem in the rough. If the city can leverage the incredible assets it has in its older areas -- especially the really beautiful and unique 'wheel-hub' street grid -- Nanaimo could really flourish.

It's a shame that all the development and infrastructure of the city for the past five decades has gone towards upholding the same bland-suburban-big-box-strip-mall development pattern that every other city in this country has slavishly devoted itself to. But I am hopeful that these big moves downtown are signalling an end to that.

Glad to share similar sentiments. The LRT system can use a shared E&N trail (double-tracked) to service the City North-South. The old railway station (now White Rabbit Coffee) at Selby St can be improved/expanded to be a new transit exchange point. Who knows, a commuter railway could be in the works sometime in the future to link to City down south to Victoria. In the more distant future, another LRT line can run East-West along Third/Fitzwilliam/Bastion to link waterfront to this transportation hub. A decent city really needs this: Nanaimo will see a boon in tourism, trade and city centre population and overall economic growth.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia