HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
This is so wrong on so many levels. I'm sure this is the ugliest house in the country. https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ximage&image=1
It's like if you launched Noah's ark in 1982 and it came to rest in a field somewhere in a Saskatchewan field instead of a mountaintop in the middle-east.

You can practically smell snowmobile gas and oil from these pictures.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:13 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Stupid legal argument. Horrible PR. Just negotiate a settlement and make it go away FFS!!!
I'm glad my parents took me and my brother to Disney World in the late 1980s. They seemed like a "wholesome" company back then.

Moncton Rad, you paid substantially more for your family's dream Disney vacation than the widower of that wrongful death lawsuit is asking (~$50k USD) from them

Last edited by Wigs; Yesterday at 7:28 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I went to Disney World this last spring for the third time. This time we footed the entire bill for myself, my wife, our three sons, two significant others and two grandchildren (nine people). We booked two villa level suites at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for eight days, got seven day multipark passes, and full meal packages for all nine people, and, paid for flights to and from Florida. Now, convert the cost from USD to CDN, and try to imagine just how much it cost.

Try harder.

Harder still..............

But, a fun time was had by all.

Thank God I'm a rich doctor.
$50 K CDN is my guess. To each their own but it wouldn't be something I would spend that amount of money on. I've been to Disney when I was about 15 and then when our kids were about 5 and 9 and that trip was for them and I just endured it. I'm not a Disney person in the least but my sil/bil are pure Disney people. They've been as adults on their own and went on a Disney cruise to the West Indies where you go to a bubble island where you don't have to see the real West Indies (just a squeaky clean version).

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I reckon Disneyworld is fun for kids. For adults....well, I don't care for rides. I have no tolerance for queuing in the hot Floridian sun for hours, or paying 16$USD for a hotdog. I heard from colleagues that budgeting for the "Magic Kingdom" for a family of four is something like $2K per day.

And there is no beach in Orlando.

I'd rather be just about anywhere else in Europe or Asia.

I've been to Florida. Meh.

Now Hawaii, that's a place that is worth the insane prices. So much so, that I have been there four times (2001-Oahu, 2005-Maui [Honeymoon], 2011-"Big Island", 2024-Kauai).
So where would Hawaii be in terms of Bari. Greater place to visit or nothing compares to Bari and its retail delights?

We agree on so many levels on this.

I've never been to Vegas but have been to Monte Carlo and saw people spending their savings there.

My favourite places in the USA would be Washington/Oregon and Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine and Colorado/Utah

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:49 PM
Great White Norf

Molson, if one can only visit Hawaii once in their life, which Island do you recommend? Or do you recommend visiting a couple?

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Crescent Beach on Siesta Key is paradisiacal. Or it was. I went there every Christmas for a couple of decades, starting in '77 when I was a toddler, and ending when my dear dad got sick and could no longer make the trip. I think it is perhaps a scosche overcrowded cheek-by-jowl with midrise hotels nowadays, but still nice. For the longest time, we stayed at a place called Sea Castle at the southern end of the beach, a modest one-storey motel with a large private beach and a warm Gulf-front pool. They were not lavish accommodations, but perfect for us. It was replaced about ten years ago by a six-storey, very expensive Hyatt, or similar. Sea Castle simply took up too much valuable real estate for the money it was taking in.
The main problem with Florida is the people. You have literal swamp-dwelling neo-Nazis mingling with regular folk. One feels like someone from another planet when one walks into, say, a Steak 'n' Shake diner in northern Florida. But some of the beaches are glorious.
Went to Disney World in '84. Didn't think much of it as a kid, so I have less than zero interest in going back.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:03 PM
Fake News

Had my honeymoon in LA and visited Disneyland. Got to see a taping of one of the last years of the Tonight Show with Jay Leno and Jennifer Aniston as a guest. Went again a few years later. Maybe it’s the kid in me but I love amusement parks.

Kind of freaked out by the implications of Disney +’s terms and conditions now though. Yikes! When we visited the site claimed they had food for celiacs. That very quickly was revealed to be a lie when none of the restaurants seemed to have any idea about gluten free food. We always packed stuff we could eat along with us. Also ate at the PF Chang’s every night while we were staying in Anaheim.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Molson, if one can only visit Hawaii once in their life, which Island do you recommend? Or do you recommend visiting a couple?
Before the fire, definitely Maui (for a couple: very romantic place). Beautiful island of contrasts (wet side, dry side), fantastic beaches, yet sufficiently populated to have a wide array of amenities. The Road to Hana, and the drive up Haleakala Volcano (to see the sun rise below you) should not be missed. You will not run out of things to do. Waves can be dangerous in the winter months on the windward side.

Kauai is the most beautiful of all, but it is more remote and doesn't have quite the variety of attractions that Maui has (due to the population of the latter being 2.5 times greater). In terms of sheer beauty, Kauai cannot be beaten. It is the island where most of the Jurassic Park sequences were filmed. The north shore beaches, Waimea canyon, Queen's Bath, the mountain lookouts...just jaw-dropping. Crazy waves on the North shore in winter.

The Big Island is really very big: bigger than all other Hawaiian islands combined. I drove everywhere. The big attraction is the volcanoes (amazing), and to a lesser extent, the rainforests on the windward side. Extreme climate differences between windward and leeward sides.

With a million people Oahu is so crowded, and Waikiki beach is about as wide as an upstairs hallway. The north shore of Oahu has great beaches (not to be trifled with in the winter months...the waves nearly killed me). Lots of shopping options, targeted towards the upscale Japanese tourist.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:31 PM
sick transit, gloria

I haven't been to the Big Island so can't speak to that but when we went to Hawaii we spent 3 days each in Oahu / Maui and then 8 in Kauai (uncle-in-law owns a condo there). If we get a chance to go back I'd skip Maui - it's beautiful but I got the distinct impression that residents did NOT want you there. Did get to visit Lahaina before it sadly burned to the ground though.

Kauai was incredible and much more chill - would go back in a heartbeat. I think Oahu is worth seeing as well, even if just for a couple days. Honolulu is a fascinating city even though it's not without it's issues. Incredible food scene too.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Jumping in here even though I wasn't invited. (Been there 5 times)
They're all great. Kauai is the most beautiful, IMHO.

Big Island = Raw nature + volcanoes. The view of the world from way up Mauna Kea is amazing.
Oahu = General Hawaii vibes and lots of tourists, but you get to watch big surf, in the right seasons. Hippeeeeeesssss!
Maui = More chill than Oahu and the best beaches. Sunrise from Haleakala.
Kauai = Green, lush, rocky and dramatic. Quiet, but absolutely gorgeous.
Lanai = A day trip from Maui. Desolate and dry. Not a must-see.

Regardless of which island you go to, you will take pictures that you will later deem unreal looking. The contrasts of blue sky to green foliage to black rock to white surf and back to blue water is breath-taking. Waterfalls everywhere.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Take It Back!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/247302...n/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24730273@N03/8558687606

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
$50 K CDN is my guess.
A bit north of that, but a good guess.

3x Disney is a charm, but my granddaughter was only just one year old when we were there, so she didn't really get the benefit of it. I could see going back one more time when she is about 6-7 years old (prime Disney princess age), but I would be about 72 years old at that time.

There is a shit load of walking at the Disney parks, and this gets less and less fun as you get older. I will likely have a couple more grandchildren to come, but, if I go when I'm 72, that will likely be it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada