HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKD View Post
No, it is also 1.3m ZONING SF, it is 1.7m GROSS SF
Thanks. I didn’t realize that there’s a difference between zoning sf and gross sf. So the Roosevelt can have 1.7m gross sf?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 3:22 AM
March Forward

It could have more or it could have less, it's purely a matter of how circulation, shafts, mechanical space, etc is laid out.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 3:34 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiND View Post
Thanks. I didn’t realize that there’s a difference between zoning sf and gross sf. So the Roosevelt can have 1.7m gross sf?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKD View Post
It could have more or it could have less, it's purely a matter of how circulation, shafts, mechanical space, etc is laid out.

Yes, like Vandy, it can have no more than 1.3 msf of zoned floor space in total. But everything else after that varies from building to building.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 3:42 PM

They need to somehow work out to keep what is there now with a tower in the middle.

Nice if they did that with 250 Park but being a much smaller footprint pretty much impossible.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yes, like Vandy, it can have no more than 1.3 msf of zoned floor space in total. But everything else after that varies from building to building.
Thanks

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
They need to somehow work out to keep what is there now with a tower in the middle.
There's no way that's gonna happen. Thankfully this dump is history.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post

Nice if they did that with 250 Park but being a much smaller footprint pretty much impossible.
The lobby & ballroom are some of the nicest in the City if not the country, the hotel has been used in a number of films including Wall Street and the show Mad Men.. of course the broken AI chat bots will demand to tear down everything beautiful and build a cheap blue-glass-box so the stickman can live inside... Hopefully the people at the city will actually landmark the base of the building including the lobby & ballroom or the devs reuse the base.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanBrokenChatBots View Post
The lobby & ballroom are some of the nicest in the City if not the country, the hotel has been used in a number of films including Wall Street and the show Mad Men.. of course the broken AI chat bots will demand to tear down everything beautiful and build a cheap blue-glass-box so the stickman can live inside... Hopefully the people at the city will actually landmark the base of the building including the lobby & ballroom or the devs reuse the base.
Yes hopefully. Getting way too crowded in that area anyways for a tower to stand out either way.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 12:08 PM

Yeah there's no reason to tear down this beauty. Landmarks Commission need to do their job!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 12:57 PM
Mulan M.

Landmark status for this building? I think this old hotel will be demolished in the next few years to make way for another tower. Wasn't the application for landmark status rejected here? Or not even applied for it in the first place? I am in favour of the demolition and construction of another possible supertall in New York. New York needs more modern office space, especially in the Grand Central Terminal area (Grand Central Zone).

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 4:31 PM

Double-post.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanBrokenChatBots View Post
The lobby & ballroom are some of the nicest in the City if not the country,
Your subjective views aren't shared by most. And that pic hardly does you any favors. Looks like any random city hotel from the 1920's.

I recently stayed at a 1920's hotel in Cincy that had a lobby about 100x nicer.

Thankfully this dump will soon be rubble.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahoi View Post
Landmark status for this building? I think this old hotel will be demolished in the next few years to make way for another tower. Wasn't the application for landmark status rejected here? Or not even applied for it in the first place? I am in favour of the demolition and construction of another possible supertall in New York. New York needs more modern office space, especially in the Grand Central Terminal area (Grand Central Zone).
Landmarks already rejected this multiple times, so there's no issue.

Some people just want to preserve every single older building. There were people whining about 270 Park's demolition, saying it had to be landmarked. Pretty much any older building in Midtown has something interesting in its past, or something interesting architecturally, so using that logic, nothing should ever be built, anywhere.

I guess the ESB should have never been built, since it replaced the original Waldorf Astoria (which, unlike this dump, was actually really ornate and nice). Or Rockefeller Center should have never been built, since it replaced really nice brownstone blocks and Columbia University's original campus.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 5:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Landmarks already rejected this multiple times, so there's no issue.

There is no issue. I don't know why people bother to waste time posting such nonsense. This building is going to be demolished when the partnership with a developer is finalized.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 9:17 PM

Well I don't agree with Landmark's decision. You guys can whine and get all salty all you want about people merely posting about wanting to preserve this building. I will still state it when the subject comes up. It's obvious that other forumers feel the same way.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2024, 1:34 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
Well I don't agree with Landmark's decision. You guys can whine and get all salty all you want about people merely posting about wanting to preserve this building. I will still state it when the subject comes up. It's obvious that other forumers feel the same way.
Nobody is “whining” about anything. Personally, I just state the facts, no matter who is offended. Anybody who has been following this at least a little bit knows this building isn’t going to be landmarked. And it’s just foolish to suggests that it will or might be. People don’t have to like, or even agree with that fact. But that’s the way of the world. I don’t like to spend a lot of time on “what ifs” and “maybes”, particularly when you know where things are headed. There’s no point, and no sense in getting people’s hopes up, however misguided they may be.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2024, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Nobody is “whining” about anything. Personally, I just state the facts, no matter who is offended. Anybody who has been following this at least a little bit knows this building isn’t going to be landmarked. And it’s just foolish to suggests that it will or might be. People don’t have to like, or even agree with that fact. But that’s the way of the world. I don’t like to spend a lot of time on “what ifs” and “maybes”, particularly when you know where things are headed. There’s no point, and no sense in getting people’s hopes up, however misguided they may be.
"I don't know why people bother to waste time posting" their opinion... sounds a bit whine-y to me... but anyway...

Well I don't think it "will" or "might" be landmarked... But I simply think it "should" be. We're all entitled to our opinions however misguided others "feel" they may be (I could feel the same about my opposition's opinion too).

Old Posted Aug 18, 2024, 3:06 PM

I agree that this should be landmarked and restored. I have good memories there. (The Sheboygan “wrasslin’” team toured the lobby.)

Anyway, it’s coming down. I hope that its replacement is spectacular.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 12:10 AM

I think we all have some strong opinions on this building, whether positive or negative. All this means is that when this thing is eventually razed, whatever goes up in its place has to be spectacular.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 12:14 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
"I don't know why people bother to waste time posting" their opinion... sounds a bit whine-y to me... but anyway...

Well I don't think it "will" or "might" be landmarked... But I simply think it "should" be. We're all entitled to our opinions however misguided others "feel" they may be (I could feel the same about my opposition's opinion too).

You can think that it should be. But it's FOOLISH to suggest that it might be, or even may be, given what we know. That is all. If you say that doesn't apply to you, keep it moving.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals