HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 8:39 PM

I'm just surprised in this day and age we haven't found a way to tunnel bore cheaply. We should be able to tunnel bore for like $100M/km

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
As a matter of fact, they have: Phase 2 near Langley cost $345 million total for roughly half the length. That's a 4x increase in the cost/km. Want to guess how much the Chilliwack phase will be if this pattern keeps up?

Stop acting like I'm happy about it; I simply accept it as the apparent cost of getting nice things. You want eye-watering, try how the original cost was $3.12 billion ten years ago. Over in Toronto, the Ontario Line was supposed to be $11B, and now it's $28B, and it'll probably go even higher. Wish they'd send that kind of budget our way once in a while.
Whatever - as long as it gets built before a new mayor scraps it and we're back with the stupid streetcar again, I'll call it a win.
Now I think about it... I think the previous estimate was based on 2021, which was just before inflation shoot up to 8% year over year for a couple of years. So that alone probably just make everything 15-20% more expensive.

Inflation now is still higher than what it was before the pandemic, especially for construction. Since the money is report as as-spent during the course of construction, so it's safe to say that the companies are playing safe and set the expected inflation from 2024-2029 is at least a couple of percentage higher per year than the previous estimate. So combine the two, plus the additional year of construction.. inflation alone probably contributed to at least 30-40% of the cost increase.

If the contract term is similar to Evergreen, then a big chunk of payment will only be made after construction finishes. If that the case, then a big portion of the cost is actually 2029$, which makes the project look even more costly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddieB View Post
I'm just surprised in this day and age we haven't found a way to tunnel bore cheaply. We should be able to tunnel bore for like $100M/km
What? $100M/km for rapid transit? Bored tunnel too??

According to Metrolynx in Toronto, you can barely build a bike path for $100M/km nowadays

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/cou...786fc0c77.html

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure