HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:27 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
They are also hanging out around Penn station area and those hotels that house them now.
yeah those are the modern day sro's. so i wouldn't call them homeless. also it just goes to show we never should have gotten rid of the old sro's in the first place. we have a brand new mega homeless families shelter about to open on staten nearby run by christine quinn, 'memba her? ha.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilcapo View Post

What you may perceive as normal might be completely different by someone else, especially a non-american.
You deleted the part about ridiculing those who bring up certain issues. Right wing media and political groups use fear of nonexistent spirals of out-of-control crime as a tactic to generate support from people who don't know any better. In a time of falling crime rates, people who knowingly spout false narratives deserve ridicule and even contempt. Others who simply repeat what they have been told deserve correction.

By the way, it is my understanding that Alphabet City has long since been gentrified. Crime in 2018 was down 78% from 1990.

But, again, as pointed out already, this thread is not specifically about rates of crime.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
yeah all good in those areas, outside of the usual scattered homeless.

although ... hunts point, wtf?

same goes for the train stations, all nothing more or less than years past.

you're looking in all the wrong places, there may or may not be more homeless these days and because its summer out of sight under bridges and the like than before, but its hard to know if its out of the way like that. i would guess no, but just a guess.
Im not looking for anything, and im certaintly not trying to make a point.

Hunts point in South Bronx was known for prostitution and drug addicts, no?

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:45 PM

Quote:

Quick Google search about 41st Precinct (Hunts Point): Crimes across all categories having decreased by 65% between 1990 and 2022.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Quick Google search about 41st Precinct (Hunts Point): Crimes across all categories having decreased by 65% between 1990 and 2022.
I think that goes for most precincts. They recently shut down a homeless shelter as well so i guess that answers my question.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:04 PM

Quote:
I think that goes for most precincts. They recently shut down a homeless shelter as well so i guess that answers my question.
From what I can tell, the Living Room Drop In Center in Hunts Point, purportedly the only 24-hour shelter in the Bronx, is still open, calls for its closure in 2022 by a councilman notwitwstanding. Anyway, are you suggesting the drop in area crime happened precipitously only after the closure of a homeless shelter and not over an extended period of time?

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:15 PM

Quote:

Hunts Point was (maybe still is?) known for prostitutes. The neighborhood is mostly warehouses, and dominated by the world's biggest food distribution center, so lots of trucks from everywhere on the Eastern seaboard. I don't think it's particularly known for crime or drug addicts. It's mostly nonresidential.

The other areas you mentioned are residential and very different. Mostly heavily gentrified. Alphabet City was rough many decades ago, no longer.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:41 PM

Quote:
According to the police there was 133 calls the first 9 months of 2019, most of them related to drugs.

Sounds like there was a problem in 2019 atleast. Is it that different now? Ive never been there.

Could it be that Americans like yourself generally are so used to open drug use and have a higher tolerance towards it?

There is a similar discussion regarding murder rates where americans tend to down play the murder rates of the "best cities" of the country, when in fact even the best cities in the us have high rates compared to Europe, Canada, Australia, East Asia.
That is not the case. I'm sure you know that too. The Boston Common is fine, there is nothing wrong with it.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
That is not the case. I'm sure you know that too. The Boston Common is fine, there is nothing wrong with it.
Im sure it is. Looks fine on google maps. Mass & cass area looks like the open drug market area.

But i mean, im sure things can seem shady at times at most places. To downplay ones experience seems a bit condescending (unless that person has a history of lying, which i cant speak of).

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Im sure it is. Looks fine on google maps. Mass & cass area looks like the open drug market area.

But i mean, im sure things can seem shady at times at most places. To downplay ones experience seems a bit condescending (unless that person has a history of lying, which i cant speak of).
Mass and Cass is no more btw. At most it was about 100+ people off in an empty industrial area at it's worst. And why would you bring that up in a discussion about the Boston Common?

No one was being condescending. When things are made up or exaggerated, this is about where people live - it should not surprise you people respond.

Last edited by pip; Yesterday at 6:42 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Its a similar discussion going on, therefore the reference. Just like the case with murder rates, america is an extreme example when it comes to homelessness, drug use & mental illness.

As a non-american (im Scandinavian, this is an international forum) i see alot of people downplaying this stuff like its fine, when the reality is that the level of anti-social behaviour you see in many american cities are quite extreme, therefore my question about Boston.

What you may perceive as normal might be completely different by someone else, especially a non-american.
We confuse homicide rates with safety too much. The rates of assaults are pretty similar between US and European cities. London and New York have virtually the same rate of assaults, but New York has a much higher homicide rate and guns are the contributing factor. If Americans were attacking each other with knives, there would be a lot fewer deaths. So yes, your likelihood of dying from gun violence in higher in U.S. cities, but that does not mean that you are less likely to be victim of a crime in European cities versus American cities.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:36 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:

lol, no, i worked in hunts point for 25yrs until recently. yes it was known for prostitution decades ago, i had to walk past a gauntlet of hookers, johns and pimps from the subway to work for quite awhile, nice people by the way, most of'em lol, but the rise of the internet killed that off quickly.

the rest of the neighborhood is residential and hard working warehouses and the food markets. and there is or was a stinky crematorium, ugh.

never any more or less homeless or drug zombies than anywhere else. yes there is a drug center there or was and they would hover around that, like i said earlier they stuff those programs out here in poor or working class areas away from the rich, but anyway its not different than any other block with a drug program. and btw i worked all over the city in the 'hoods for decades, so yes i know personally.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:18 PM
Great White Norf

More than 100,000 Americans dying from drug overdoses, fentanyl deaths rising

Fentanyl imho is the worst drug ever created. If you've seen someone do the hunched over Zombie out of their mind "stoop" that's a dose of Fentanyl in action in their system.

Related:
Here’s why fentanyl users on S.F.’s streets are bent over
By Aldo Toledo, Connor Michael Greene
July 17, 2024
https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/artic...r-19561190.php

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions