HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Today, 3:10 PM
Never Dell

Cities with the highest single-room housing % in 2022

The Census Bureau reports that the cities with the highest percentage of single-unit housing (studios) in 2022 were:
--Seattle at 13.2%
--Honolulu at 12.5%
--San Francisco at 12.4%
--Paradise NV at 10.1%
--Los Angeles at 9.9%
--Miami at 9.6%
--New York at 9%
--DC at 8.4%
--Portland at 8%
--Minneapolis at 8%

Seattle Times.

Seattle grew from 21,000 to 53,000 studios from 2010 to 2022. This isn't surprising. We're a city of young adults (often students or tech workers) who are often single or couples. These units are typically in transit-rich districts and typically don't have parking, a key to the economics of small units. We're also a city with a lot of new construction, meaning the market had room to shift. And we're expensive so people gravitate toward smaller units.

For all of these cities, it's probably a good sign for the public realm. Paris' cafe culture is often attributed to its tiny housing units (not that we're Paris!).

I lived in a hotel room for four months once. It wasn't bad!

Good, bad, indifferent, rocketing up the list since 2022...?

Old Posted Today, 4:53 PM

Paradise, NV seems like a surprise. Is there a lot of high-rise housing in the Vegas area? I always thought the housing in Vegas was dominated by single-family housing or two story apartment complexes.

Old Posted Today, 4:58 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
I bet most people in them don’t actually like them and are making do with what they have and what they can afford.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Today, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I bet most people in them don’t actually like them and are making do with what they have and what they can afford.
I like mine.

Old Posted Today, 7:19 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I mean... people regardless of income bracket 'make do with what they can afford.' Doesn't mean they're miserable about it.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Today, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Paradise, NV seems like a surprise. Is there a lot of high-rise housing in the Vegas area? I always thought the housing in Vegas was dominated by single-family housing or two story apartment complexes.
Studios don't have to be in highrises. If you google map around the peripheral of the Vegas Strip you can see where the Vegas' dense studio/small apartment housing is.

Here is South Florida, there's also tons of studios in low-rise or even 1 floor buildings.

Old Posted Today, 8:00 PM
Never Dell

I don't know the percentage who like living in small units or just do it for need/convenience.

Either way, we need cheaper housing options, particularly in expensive cities. Studios -- and outright micros -- are important.

Old Posted Today, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
Studios don't have to be in highrises. If you google map around the peripheral of the Vegas Strip you can see where the Vegas' dense studio/small apartment housing is.

Here is South Florida, there's also tons of studios in low-rise or even 1 floor buildings.
It's probably all the timeshares and hotel/condo buildings on the strip. Trump Tower, Aria, Vdara, MGM Signature etc. There are quite a few normal condo buildings on the strip as well, but of course those have a standard mix of studios and 1,2,3 bedroom units. And a lot of UNLV student housing in that area. Maybe they're also counting all those extended stay budget motels with weekly and monthly rates. They're basically like studio apartments.

Old Posted Today, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post

Low-rise, yes... but honestly, I can't recall ever seeing a studio in a 1-bedroom building. It doesn't really make sense to me because the point of studios are to supply housing in densely built areas. Studios don't make sense if space and cost aren't issues, which would be the conditions where 1-floor apartment buildings exist.

Old Posted Today, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Low-rise, yes... but honestly, I can't recall ever seeing a studio in a 1-bedroom building. It doesn't really make sense to me because the point of studios are to supply housing in densely built areas. Studios don't make sense if space and cost aren't issues, which would be the conditions where 1-floor apartment buildings exist.
Do carved out 1 room residences from homes count? Especially behind homes. You see a lot of those. A lot of secondary units built behind homes like these are often single room studios. They are either rented out as air-bnb's or rented out as normal residences. You see a ton of these in LA. I had a friend who lived in one behind his parents house.
Kind of like the basement apartments that you see in NY.
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7709...!1e3?entry=ttu

Old Posted Today, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Do carved out 1 room residences from homes count? Especially behind homes. You see a lot of those. A lot of secondary units built behind homes like these are often single room studios. They are either rented out as air-bnb's or rented out as normal residences. You see a ton of these in LA. I had a friend who lived in one behind his parents house.
Kind of like the basement apartments that you see in NY.
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7709...!1e3?entry=ttu
I wasn't including mother-in-law suites, but good point. Yes, those are often 1-story.

Old Posted Today, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Here’s a whole community near my work…. https://maps.app.goo.gl/ThTpbuaY3TEu...s.preview.copy. And yes , even they can be an abomination to good urban planning.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions