HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 11:00 PM

The Idiots are back at the Legislature

More RTD reform is coming next year, Colorado legislators say
Jul. 24, 2024 By Nathaniel Minor -- CPR News

Who is this Matt Frommer clown?

He cherry picks who he compares RTD with and he conflates bus ridership with light rail or system ridership.

For example he looks to Seattle but uses King County bus service and not Sound Transit. But more importantly why doesn't Matt use his talents to find a Bell Cow who would bring 55,000 employees to downtown Denver like Amazon has in Seattle. Not a smart comparison.

I wonder why he doesn't include Portland in his comparison as that would seem to be a very good peer city to Denver. Any guesses?

Matt is sooo disappointed in RTD's light rail ridership in June of this year. Somebody go knock on his door and inform him of all the maintenance issues maybe?

He looks to Capital Metropolitan Transportation Authority ie Austin. Somebody inform him that Austin has a meager transit system like one-third the size of RTD - oh but then he complains about RTD not being robust enough. Meanwhile Austin is being sued by the state attorney general for their created entity for better transit not being legal under the state's constitution.

Utah Transit Authority? Does anybody here care about them? BTW, just guessing they haven't had the same homeless etc problems that Denver has. Perhaps Matt could use his talents to fix that for Denver.

Many areas have multiple transit agencies and Matt picks out the one he likes best. Why am I not surprised.

Love those who cherry pick and conflate; they're so pleasant to reason with.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 6:01 AM

US House appropriations bill would slash DOT grants by $2B in FY2025
July 22, 2024 By Dan Zukowski, Senior Reporter -- Smart Cities Dive
Quote:
House Republicans set out their priorities for transportation funding but acknowledge that the November election’s outcome will likely decide future spending.
  • The U.S. House Appropriations Committee approved $90.4 billion in discretionary allocations for the fiscal year 2025... The bill would cut funding for DOT grant programs 36%, or more than $2 billion
  • The draft bill targets a $1.3 billion cut to the Federal Transit Administration from FY 2024, slashing capital investment grants by 66%, according to the Rail Passengers Association, a nonpartisan organization. These grants are used to build new rail and bus transit routes.
  • The bill would also block New York’s paused congestion pricing plan, bar some federal agencies from implementing equity and climate plans and prohibit federal funding for a prominent high-speed rail project in California.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 9:26 PM

Does transit make sense as transportation? (Part One)

Yes, but only if you understand its limitations and real world costs.

These 'talking points desk jockeys' drive me nuts.

The first question I asked was what is the current approximate cost of new electric buses?

SOURCE ONE:
Quote:
As per the Department of Energy’s 2020 report, while the cost of a new 40-foot diesel bus is $480,000, a battery electric bus costs $887,308.
2020? Add 25% (or more) to those numbers. The assumed life of buses is 12 years. 12 to 15 years is the assumed range.

SOURCE TWO:

Price tag for CapMetro buses tops $1 million apiece
September 29, 2021 By Daniel Van Oudenaren -- Austin Bulldog
Quote:
Austin transit authority says the 197 zero-emissions electric buses will reduce pollution, noise, and fuel costs

The board of Capital Metro (CapMetro) has approved the purchase of up to 197 new electric buses in the next five years at an average cost of $960,000. With charging equipment and warranties, the price per bus tops $1 million.
2021? Add another 25% or more to those numbers.

Maintenance and Repairs?

That's a whole other topic but RTD could provide some good feedback given their recent experience and so glad they had the money between budgeting and grants.

FTA funding granted to CDOT et al in 2022

A) State of Colorado, Department of Transportation $34,765,737 - Buses and Bus Facilities:
The Colorado Department of Transportation, on behalf of Summit Stage, a rural transit agency serving Summit, Park and Lake counties, will receive funding to build a new charging and operation bus facility, which will include 100% electrification, fleet storage, and electric vehicle charging. The new facility will replace Summit Stage's current aging facility.
B) State of Colorado, Department of Transportation $5,721,272 - Buses and Bus Facilities
Roaring Fork Transportation Authority will receive funding to buy buses to replace ones that have exceeded their useful life. The largest rural transit agency in the nation, RFTA will replace aging diesel buses and save as many as 121,000 pounds of greenhouse gases annually by purchasing CNG buses and modern diesel buses.
C) CO Mesa County $2,844,274 Low or No Emission
Mesa County on behalf of Grand Valley Transit will receive funding to build a new bus maintenance facility. The new building will allow GVT to hire additional mechanics and better maintain its fleet, which is serving growing demand for transit in and around Grand Junction, improving the state of good repairs and improving service
There were two other $2.5 million grants one for San Miguel Authority for Regional Transportation in southwest Colorado and Steamboat Springs Transit in Northwest Colorado and smaller grants for Vail and Grand Valley Transit

Thank You Pres. Biden for the iija often referred to as the Bipartisan Infrastructure Legislation or BIL

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 10:21 PM

Does transit make sense as transportation? (Part Two)

I'm recommending Gov Jared Polis to be Chief Transit Boondoggle.

I digress

Biden’s love for Amtrak can’t save it from a cruel summer
08/03/2024 By Jordan Wolman -- POLITICO
Quote:
Commuters and other travelers along America’s busiest stretch of passenger railway have faced a nightmare summer of heat-related delays and cancellations that are complicating the transit legacy of a president nicknamed “Amtrak Joe.”

Record heat has exposed long-standing physical problems along the Northeast Corridor between Boston and Virginia... “It’s incredibly frustrating,” said Rep. Josh Gottheimer (D-N.J.)... “People are going to lose faith in the transportation system. It just ups the urgency of investing and addressing these issues.”
It turns out it's not as simple as "Build it and they will come."

Here's a great comparison to what Gov Polis wants to do

BTW, I am aware the RTD is working on a new estimate for the Governor's pet project.

Commuter rail system's financial and engineering headaches
Jan 10, 2023 (so relatively recent) By Zachery Eanes -- AXIOS Raleigh

Has everybody heard of the RTP or Research Triangle Park in North Caroline? It has been a rapidly growing area as a result of many Big Dog tech companies, etc. Well they want to build the type of rail that Polis wants. For the RTP it makes good sense and apposed to the B Line etc making No Sense.
Quote:
Rising costs are limiting how quickly a potential commuter rail system could be implemented in the Triangle, according to a feasibility study released last week by GoTriangle, the region's transportation authority that would operate the system.
  • The study found that the proposed Greater Triangle Commuter Rail, a roughly 40-mile line that would stretch from Durham to Johnston County, would cost $3.2 billion to build — a significant increase from its initial $2 billion estimate.
  • Public transportation is a high priority for local leaders who worry that the region's fast-growing population will lead to a traffic congestion nightmare, significantly impacting the area's quality of life and mobility
Good guess that an updated estimate would be closer to $4 billion. The RTP has been working for many, many years to create some transit. They have as yet been unable to find common ground that voters might approve.

Reminder: IIRC RTD spent ~ $5.7 billion on FasTacks

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 7:43 PM

Here's an updated example of rising costs

Feds Commit $5.1 Billion to South Bay BART Extension
Aug 2, 2024 By Joseph Geha -- KQED

Originally estimated to cost $4.7 billion back in 2014 that is obviously so old as to be totally irrelevant.
Quote:
As recently as spring 2022, VTA still touted a $6.9 billion estimate before facing multiple schedule delays and ballooning cost increases to the current figure.

The project is currently estimated to cost $12.7 billion and is expected to be completed in 2037.
BTW, this will only be a six-mile extension. Heavy Rail but Good Grief.

RTD is so lucky to have built their rail bones when they did.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 12:10 AM

Done Deal

RTD and Denver receive $150 million funding allocation for E. Colfax BRT
August 7 2024 -- RTD
Quote:
Last week, the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) notified RTD that the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) apportioned an additional $23 million in Fixed Guideway Capital Investment Grants Allocation (CIG) funding for construction of the East Colfax BRT project. This funding combined with prior year apportionments equals a total federal apportionment of $150 million, the maximum amount allowed in the discretionary grant category.

“RTD appreciates the partnership with the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) to move another step forward on constructing the E. Colfax BRT project. The agency looks forward to finalizing the grant process with the FTA and continuing to work cooperatively with local and state partners to deliver this beneficial project to the community,” said RTD General Manager and CEO Debra A. Johnson.
What's Next: I'm still a bit confused but at this point it doesn't matter. lol
Quote:
Next steps for the project in the coming weeks include bringing a BRT construction contract through Denver City Council for approval and a groundbreaking event with project, business and community partners along Colfax this fall.
-----------------------------------

Last edited by wong21fr; Aug 14, 2024 at 5:57 PM. Reason: Off-topic for the discussion of Colfax BRT funding

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 5:52 PM

Thanks for the Link
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
I think that's the case. For the Federal Blvd Project CDOT took the DENVER MOVES: Federal Transit Alternatives Analysis and used it to conduct the NEPA. Believe they're handling everything.
I had been aware of this but didn't bother to read the analysis as I wasn't sure what the time frame for progress would be. But after I jumped back on the thread I read the analysis when I saw your link.

CDOT wants to widen Federal Boulevard for new bus lanes. Some worry it’ll make the road even more dangerous
Aug. 13, 2024 By Nathaniel Minor -- Denverite

I do enjoy Nathaniel's writing and he seldom hesitates to accommodate the anti-car crowd. That's fine: He usually does a fair job of including both sides so that's cool. Whiners going to whine.
Quote:
The Colorado Department of Transportation wants to widen over two miles of South Federal Boulevard to make space for bus lanes. Project leaders say the extra space will be needed to preserve two vehicle lanes in each direction on a busy stretch of Federal. Cutting the road down to one lane would send too many drivers onto side streets, they say.

“There are places where traffic calming through road diets and otherwise is the best option,” said CDOT Executive Director Shoshana Lew, adding: “But that's not always the answer.”
BTW, since I've read the analysis I understand what the issues are. Federal Blvd is not some side street, it's a major arterial road designated as a state highway. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be safer. One reason for CDOT's issues is that they added medians in some areas which was a Good Safety measure.

I love the plan for having BRT on Federal Blvd. Now that East Colfax BRT is essentially a done deal, Federal is easily the next best priority for BRT.

Two different traffic patters on the same street?

Yes, as a major arterial road, during the day there's a ton of commercial and freight traffic. Then after dark that calms down but that's also when the 'crazies' come out whether it's bad drivers or walkers (especially those that have had too much to drink) wearing dark clothing. If they want to compensate for this then light up the road like a Christmas tree. Where pedestrian traffic is heavier but not at an intersection then add a crosswalk with HAWK light. I guarantee the majority of accidents especially fatal ones happen after dark.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West