HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 8:34 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Cleveland, it's just time (ongoing)

Time's a funny thing - when I joined this forum I was 25 and here I am at 52 So many things have happened since then - got married, became a published author, had my photo work on a show with Betty White, my Mom passed away , watched the kids in the family grow up and have families of their own, you get the idea.

Back when I joined, I was briefly in between jobs and history decided to repeat itself after my position was eliminated this past July. In the earlier days of the forum, the usual approach was to take a batch of photos and upload them soon after. Instead, I'm going to follow sopas ej's lead and start a thread and update it from time to time, starting with a few from earlier this year. Not going to lie, hoping I won't have too much time aka I'll be landing a new job sooner than later

^That's the view from the balcony shown here - the James A. Garfield Monument - it was recently cleaned and restored (pretty much blackened from industrial soot).

An apartment building somewhat recently built on a former junkyard overlooking the industrial valley. Its official name is Electric Gardens, I prefer to call it the Imperial Barge (a la Star Wars)

Also in 1997, where I had my first job in downtown Cleveland - and I'm still in the graphic design industry

The new Sherwin Williams headquarters under construction in case you didn't know.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 10:09 PM

These are fantastic photographs that aptly highlight Cleveland's beautiful architecture, new and old. An instant classic thread!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 11:08 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Love the colors in the ceiling here.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 3:37 AM

Good shot of the Frank Gehry building!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 1:56 PM

Outstanding, congrats

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 7:30 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Wow.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 7:40 PM

Wow, you knocked it out of the park with these photos. I remember first seeing you posting on UrbanOhio back in 2004ish... so about 20 years ago. Always have enjoyed your photography so thanks for sharing! Best of luck to you in the hunt for new employment.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 3:18 PM

Fantastic shots. The Key Tower is one of my favorite skyscrapers. Looks right at home in Cleveland.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 5:00 PM

Loving the thread so far! Looks like Cleveland has some real architectural gems so Im excited to see what other treasures you can show us!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 12:43 AM

thank god look at the well-balanced skyline with newly-built towers thank god unlike whom? urgh...unlike okc at least

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 10:38 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Us ongoing photothread keepers need to stick together! Cleveland is looking good.
“It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.” -- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 1:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I had high expectations for this photo thread, and they were surpassed. Great stuff.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 2:38 PM
arf

Thanks MayDay. This was a great way to start the morning.

Life. Just happens.

Best of luck with the job search.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 6:43 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

i know the first pic view from garfield is very popular, but the on the lake views skyline shots are always my favorite. so yeah, a great start and an especially great finale.

Old Posted Today, 3:00 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

New photos added August 14th, 2024.

So the job hunt is still going but wish me luck, there's a promising opportunity so here's hoping. Starting this batch with a few from the Cuyahoga County Courthouse - one of the key pieces of Daniel Burnham's 1903 Group Plan. Also where I got married and the staircase shown was featured in the 'Avengers', specifically the scene in Stuttgart where Loki morphs into his true appearance and tackles the guy for his eyeball ID

The Olympics just wrapped, here's the statue of 4-time Olympic gold medalist and Clevelander, Jesse Owens. Yep, Cleveland's been telling Nazis where to shove it for quite some time

So this yacht was parked in Cleveland for a bit - it's got quite the salacious history

The Art Moderne styled former Coast Guard station - same architect as the much more traditionally styled Cleveland City Hall.

Recently installed public art 'Small Giants' by Alex Senna.

Her: He's probably thinking of seeing someone else.
Him (especially if he's on this forum!): I wonder why they didn't build the new Sherwin Williams tower taller than the Terminal Tower?

Believe this is what we call a holdout.

St. Thedosius Russian Orthodox Cathedral - featured in the film, 'The Deer Hunter'; suffered a serious fire started by workers making repairs on the roof. Currently undergoing restoration - they removed the large main dome due to structural instability. I'm not a church going person at all, but this was a gut punch as it's easily one of the most beautiful churches in the region and an icon of my neighborhood.

Pricey residences along the shoreline in Rocky River, an affluent suburb on Cleveland's West Side.

Over to the East side, the Holden Arboretum during peak rhododendron blooming season.

View from the Ohio Turnpike bridge over the Cuyahoga River, about 25 miles south of downtown Cleveland - look close and you can see the tops of the tallest four buildings in downtown Cleveland.

Last edited by MayDay; Today at 3:19 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos