HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Proposal for Lloyd District venue draws questions

The Portland Design Commission got its first look on Thursday at plans for a two-story events center proposed for the Lloyd Center site.

The 67,000-square-foot venue would host concerts and other live events. It’s part of a long-term plan to remake the Lloyd Center and the surrounding district.

Owner and developer Urban Renaissance Group, based in Seattle, decided to move ahead with the land-use case for the building even as a Central City master plan for the Lloyd District is following closely behind.

URG proposes to demolish the existing former Nordstrom store structure and tear down a sky-bridge to build the events center. The building’s east end would abut the mall.

At Thursday’s design advice hearing, commissioners said the project could produce an “iconic” building in the central city but raised several questions.

“This is a project that the city absolutely needs,” Commissioner Sam Rodriguez said. “We need things that will bring people downtown, and things like this will absolutely help.”
...continues at the DJC ($).

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 6:41 PM
A before E

I don't know what I think about that rendering....I don't hate it, but I don't like it either...

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 3:17 PM

I think I was under impression this was also live nation. Or maybe I didn’t know at all.
https://www.wweek.com/news/business/...-lloyd-center/

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 7:47 PM

Yeah I think Live Nation proposed something here a few years ago, then pulled out? But they’re building a venue at the east end of the Hawthorne bridge. The Lloyd project is a local group, or at least part of it. But nice to see 2 projects like this in the works. It’s weird how they say this venue will benefit from the parking garages, but aren’t those going away with the overall redevelopment in the coming years??

Last edited by downtownpdx; Jul 6, 2024 at 10:34 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 4:38 PM

Type III Design Review is going to be submitted in the next week; early-to-mid 2026 opening date; 2,000 to 4,200 people capacity.

Quote:
Portland music org founder details proposed Lloyd Center venue

Mike Quinn has an ambitious plan for the former Nordstrom at Portland's Lloyd Center.

The founder of locally based Monqui Presents is partnering with the Denver office of entertainment group Anschutz Entertainment Group to construct an entertainment venue at Lloyd Center. Quinn declined to talk to the Business Journal about project costs, but he said it will likely take about a year and a half to build.

The Business Journal spoke with Quinn about the Lloyd Center venue last Friday in a conversation edited for brevity and clarity.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal ($).

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Type III Design Review is going to be submitted in the next week; early-to-mid 2026 opening date; 2,000 to 4,200 people capacity.

...continues at the Portland Business Journal ($).
I would gladly hand my money to Monqui Presents rather than Live Nation. Monqui has been around for 35 years and knows this city, the demographic and will likely not run the venue like the mob runs waste disposal in Jersey. Live Nation is a bunch of racketeers that gouge consumers and just as importantly, artists, at every turn. Unconscionable company. I hope for the best with Monqui, and the benefit the Lloyd District would gain having a venue of this size in the inner NE core.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Kass View Post
I would gladly hand my money to Monqui Presents rather than Live Nation. Monqui has been around for 35 years and knows this city, the demographic and will likely not run the venue like the mob runs waste disposal in Jersey. Live Nation is a bunch of racketeers that gouge consumers and just as importantly, artists, at every turn. Unconscionable company. I hope for the best with Monqui, and the benefit the Lloyd District would gain having a venue of this size in the inner NE core.
100% agree. Mike is a good guy and knows the local industry very well. He was one of the original three partners of the Doug Fir.

Buy local!!!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 5:04 PM

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 9:23 PM

The Monqui/AEG music venue has been submitted for a Type III Design Review:

Quote:
- Demo of above grade existing retail structure. Renovation of below grade area and construction of a new, 2 story multi-purpose event structure with loading at grade. Modification to 33.150.220, ground floor windows and a modification to 33.510.243, Ecoroof requested.- Total project square footage to be approx. 68,000 sf including existing basement.- Property line adjustment to northern property line to be handled with a separate application.- Demo of existing sky bridge to be handled with a separate application.Stormwater to be handled with in-grade basins.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 9:00 PM

Request for Response for the AEG/Monqui venue. Going in front of the Design Commission on September 19th.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 4:04 PM

Quote:
A first look at the Lloyd Center entertainment venue proposed
The approximately 67,000-square-foot venue plans to have a seating capacity between 2,000 to 4,200 people and include a movable stage and state-of-the-art features.

PORTLAND, Ore. — A new entertainment venue could bring thousands of people to the Lloyd Center with a two-story concert hall proposed to replace the former Nordstrom's building.

The approximately 67,000-square-foot venue plans to have a seating capacity between 2,000 to 4,200 people with a second-floor mezzanine. Monqui Presents is partnering with Denver-based Anschutz Entertainment Group to create the venue, which features a movable stage and state-of-the-art features, reported the Portland Business Journal, a KGW news partner.

As part of the proposal, the Nordstrom's building would be demolished along with the skybridge that crosses Northeast Ninth Avenue.

Mike Quinn, the founder of Monqui Presents, told PBJ that it could likely take about a year and half to build the venue once fully approved. Currently, the project is under design review with Portland's new Permitting and Development office.

The Lloyd Center's new entertainment venue is not the only concert hall Portland could be getting. A Live Nation concert venue is in the works in the Central Eastside of similar size and seating capacity. That project is also under review with the city of Portland.
...continues at KGW.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland