HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
New CBC article about the opposition: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...erns-1.7287564
These people totally suck. Their reasons are weak.

Quote:
The group would like to see the space used for leisure or to inform the public about the cultural and environmental significance of the Petitcodiac River region.
Interpretive plaza!

Quote:
Along with the petition, the citizen group sent a 10-page document outlining the issues they have with the project, including flooding risk and public safety, urban densification by a small number of companies and environmental protection.
Small business and co-op skyscraper construction!

Quote:
"It was sold with no consultation of the public," he said in an interview. "It's a natural environment and cultural environment that you have to protect."
Ditch defenders!

Are they missing the IMPROVED ACCESS WHERE THERE IS CURRENTLY NONE? https://imgur.com/HSMlIww

Left-NIMBYism doesn't make any sense to me. Hundreds of new units downtown? Think of the ditch! Think of the equity!

Say what you will about the tenets of right-NIMBYism, but at least it's an ethos. It makes sense if someone doesn't want an apartment building looming over their backyard, or zoning reform that would allow multi-units next to their SFH on a half-acre lot, regardless of whether one agrees or not.

Lastly, here's the Downtown Moncton Development Vision report, which is old enough to vote this year: https://downtownmoncton.com/wp-conte...n-strategy.pdf

Pages directly in opposition to these people are 5, 6, 14, 27, and 35. Very bold to reference a document supporting mixed-use dense infill near services that improves access to green space, in order to oppose it.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 6:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

We will have to nickname these agitators the Ditch Defenders.

Actually, they might like that.

Since they like ditches, they must also like rats (and discarded shopping carts).

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

We will have to nickname these agitators the Ditch Defenders.

Actually, they might like that.

Since they like ditches, they must also like rats (and discarded shopping carts).
34 signatures on a petition does not seem like this will be a big threat?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Say what you will about the tenets of right-NIMBYism, but at least it's an ethos. It makes sense if someone doesn't want an apartment building looming over their backyard, or zoning reform that would allow multi-units next to their SFH on a half-acre lot, regardless of whether one agrees or not.
It doesn't make sense if those people typically support a free market economy though.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 7:45 PM

34 signatures? Really? Slow news day? Looks like someone has power with the press and abuses it for there own self interest and covers it with cultural and environmental issues. Typical in these times. People that are neither left or right are just sick and tired of it all.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 7:50 PM
Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy321 View Post
34 signatures on a petition does not seem like this will be a big threat?
I agree, and it begs the question as to why the CBC is still giving coverage to these double-digit protest movements in a city that's nearing 200k inhabitants. Especially with such an uncritical eye.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 10:36 PM

Sounds like someone who likes the sound of his own voice.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 11:40 AM

Here's my email to the Mayor and Councillor about the development. Maybe we could just drop the partisan stuff, I am way to to the left on many issues but absolutely not a NIMBY. Not everything divides the way you might think. If we all reach out in support, it might have an effect on their thoughts.

To the Honourable Mayor Dawn Arnold and Councillor Charles Léger,

I have seen recently that there is opposition to the Gateway Towers project from some local citizens. I wanted to write to say that I strongly support this development as it stands. I have no ties to this developer, but I believe in a Moncton with a vibrant and business friendly downtown. I believe the city supports this development as well, and I encourage you to hold strong and see this through. Downtown Moncton's chief challenge is the vast amount of underused space between Main Street and Assomption Boulevard, and the city's current focus on building and developing this area makes sense to me. I look forward to the Moncton that you are currently bringing to fruition, with more residences downtown feeding more prosperous businesses in the core.

The area around the proposed development has access to some of the largest and best parks Moncton has to offer, and with the trail system along the water, residents of these towers will have access to parks in Riverview and Dieppe as well. The notion that the land on which the buildings occupy needs to be considered for greenspace is absurd to me; what is needed here absolutely is more people, more development.

Thank you for supporting this application.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 12:42 PM
amalgamated

Quote:
In essence, the fight is over the stub of Foundry Street extending southward from Assumption Blvd, as well as the adjacent wooded ditch that the city recently sold to JN Lafford.

You can see the land in question in this photo from the CBC article:

So, while city council is unquestionably in favour of this project, the process will carry on for at least another 10 weeks, giving this citizen's committee several chances to influence the decision making process.

I have very little doubt that the project will proceed, but, we are dealing with an organized citizen's committee here with at least a couple of high profile members. This is more than just a couple of ladies with a tomato plant, and, they were able to lop four floors off the Tomato Building at Main & Vaughan Harvey.

I remain concerned.
What complete and utter pillocks. I thought these type of anti progress idiots only really existed in Saint John.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 3:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampduLarge View Post
Here's my email to the Mayor and Councillor about the development. Maybe we could just drop the partisan stuff, I am way to to the left on many issues but absolutely not a NIMBY. Not everything divides the way you might think. If we all reach out in support, it might have an effect on their thoughts.

To the Honourable Mayor Dawn Arnold and Councillor Charles Léger,

I have seen recently that there is opposition to the Gateway Towers project from some local citizens. I wanted to write to say that I strongly support this development as it stands. I have no ties to this developer, but I believe in a Moncton with a vibrant and business friendly downtown. I believe the city supports this development as well, and I encourage you to hold strong and see this through. Downtown Moncton's chief challenge is the vast amount of underused space between Main Street and Assomption Boulevard, and the city's current focus on building and developing this area makes sense to me. I look forward to the Moncton that you are currently bringing to fruition, with more residences downtown feeding more prosperous businesses in the core.

The area around the proposed development has access to some of the largest and best parks Moncton has to offer, and with the trail system along the water, residents of these towers will have access to parks in Riverview and Dieppe as well. The notion that the land on which the buildings occupy needs to be considered for greenspace is absurd to me; what is needed here absolutely is more people, more development.

Thank you for supporting this application.
Good letter. Maybe we should all write a letter to the mayor expressing support for this important project.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Good letter. Maybe we should all write a letter to the mayor expressing support for this important project.
Good idea. Let's do it.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 5:19 PM

Would 35 letters of support overrule 34 names on a petition? :p

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 5:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGGUS View Post
Would 35 letters of support overrule 34 names on a petition? :p
I dunno. Those guys are all elite UdeM academics, social activists and union leaders. They might outrank us.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 5:44 PM

Quote:
I dunno. Those guys are all elite UdeM academics, social activists and union leaders. They might outrank us.
I dunno MonctonRad.... you do have over 35,000 posts on these forums. That has to account for something!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 7:24 PM

Quote:
I've already heard, directly and indirectly, from more than 34 people who would fall into at least one of those categories, who would certainly sign a counter-petition

Old Posted Aug 10, 2024, 11:48 AM

Importance of Gateway Towers

Hello to all

I also have written to the Mayor, insisting on the importance of this projet to the vitality of the River Front Parc. I invite everyone to do the same. So that this projects moves ahead as swiftly as possible. The revitalisation of our Downton is essential to Moncton's future

Old Posted Aug 10, 2024, 1:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I have also just fulfilled my civic duty by writing a letter to the mayor in support of the Gateway Towers.

This is the first time I have ever written the mayor regarding a development issue, but, I am worried enough about the "Gang of 34" that I felt compelled to do so.

They may only be 34 people, but, they are UdeM academics and social activists. They have influence, media credibility, and therefore represent a real threat. The politicians might be frightened of them and cave into their demands for a "study", but, even this would be a victory for them.

As has been pointed out previously on this forum, JN Lafford operates an assembly line with his developments. This increases efficiency and decreases costs (while maintaining or even enhancing quality). If a study is commissioned, and the project is subsequently delayed by a year or two, then the NIMBYs will have won no matter what. Lafford might just walk away because his timeline was interupted and the project no longer profitable. This is probably what the Gang of 34 wants. Effective disruption is a winning tactic.

The NIMBYs cannot be allowed to prevail.

Write the mayor..........

mayor@moncton.ca

Old Posted Aug 11, 2024, 12:47 PM

I write politicians strategically. I don't write, for instance, to Higgs because I believe he is an idealogue set on dividing the people in this province for his political gain. My notes to him would only reinforce his approach. In the case of the Gateway Towers, your notes are already aligned with what Council wants to do anyways, and you are providing them with the knowledge that the people who are protesting do not stand for the whole city. That can be quite an impact.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2024, 2:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Indeed. Positive reinforcement. It will give our mayor courage to face down the forces of evil.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2024, 3:15 PM
amalgamated

What’s their reasoning? They want to “Keep Moncton small”?

I don’t get how anyone can oppose ambitious construction proposals for residential towers in the middle of a “housing crisis”. This is the type of project that people should be saying “YIMBY” about.

Last edited by EnvisionSaintJohn; Aug 11, 2024 at 11:34 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces