HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Remove the Oil Sands and see what our 2000-2022 median income chart looks like. More like Italy probably than our G7 leading performance.
We are leading the G7 in median income growth? Somebody tell the chicken littles around here.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
It matters when you're trying to reduce emissions in a country with a rising population.

Basic math intuition would tell you that even if population continues to increase, if the multiplying emissions per capita term continues to trend downwards, that will drag emissions downwards.

---

Emissions = emissions per capita * population

d/dt emissions = d/dt (emissions per capita * population)

d/dt emissions = (d/dt emissions per capita) * population + emissions per capita *(d/dt population)
Not true. If the population doubles and total emissions only go up 50%, then the per capita emissions decrease yet we're emitting more pollutants than before. You can keep on going like that and total emissions will never reach zero, but the emissions per capita will.

There's a reason why the government's page about net zero emissions by 2050 doesn't contain the phrase "per capita". Total emissions matter, per capita emissions very much less so.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
We are leading the G7 in median income growth? Somebody tell the chicken littles around here.
Fat lot of good that does most Canadians when home prices and rents have increased by an astronomical amount.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
Not true. If the population doubles and total emissions only go up 50%, then the per capita emissions decrease yet we're emitting more pollutants than before. You can keep on going like that and total emissions will never reach zero, but the emissions per capita will.

There's a reason why the government's page about net zero emissions by 2050 doesn't contain the phrase "per capita". Total emissions matter, per capita emissions very much less so.
If emissions per capita reach zero, then yes. Emissions would reach zero. That's fairly simple math.

I don't expect that to happen mind you, but it's fairly ridiculous to look at a clear downward trend and say that we're not making any progress.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 2:40 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Trump repeats conspiracy theory that PM Trudeau 'could be' son of Fidel Castro
Comments came during an interview former president gave to an online streamer
Darren Major · CBC News · Posted: Aug 07, 2024 11:42 AM ADT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tru...racy-1.7287329

What a shit disturber.

These rumours are patently untrue. I may not like JT, but, he should not be subjected to crap like this, especially from a former US president..............
Crap is all I ever expect from Tronald Dump, who has always been utterly full of shit. To think that this assclown could become President again, after everything that has happened, after all he has said...

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 2:43 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
lol?

is there something funny about this? Or about the possibility of racist rioting coming to Canada?

what do you mean by "Lol"?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 2:54 AM

As I have proven time and time again on here with plenty of supporting data (check my post history), we have zero evidence that the revenue-neutral carbon tax does result in a faster reduction of emissions, however we do have some pretty solid indicators that show it probably doesn't have any effect on the rate of emissions reduction.

There's a reason that no other country has a revenue-neutral carbon tax - there isn't a single example of it having ever worked.

The hilarious thing about this is that we actually do know what works, with plenty of successful examples - don't make it revenue-neutral and just spend the tax revenue on green technology instead. But that's not what these half-baked environmentalists want - they would rather have the experimental system that literally no other country is willing to adopt. Sheer utter stupidity.

Last edited by Build.It; Aug 8, 2024 at 3:14 AM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Crap is all I ever expect from Tronald Dump, who has always been utterly full of shit. To think that this assclown could become President again, after everything that has happened, after all he has said...
He's still pissy that Ivanka swooned over JT and stopped swooning over daddy.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
If emissions per capita reach zero, then yes. Emissions would reach zero. That's fairly simple math.

I don't expect that to happen mind you, but it's fairly ridiculous to look at a clear downward trend and say that we're not making any progress.
The climate depends on actual carbon emissions. Per capita emissions are completely irrelevant to anything.

Also, obviously adding millions of low productivity, low skill workers is going to reduce per capita emissions. It is diluting the pollution from major industrial emitters to more people and Tim Hortons doesn’t add much GHG emissions.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Fat lot of good that does most Canadians when home prices and rents have increased by an astronomical amount.
both rents and home prices are stable or falling in Canada based on the month.

In other news More than 70% of dentists now accepting patients through Canadian Dental Care Plan, 450,000 Canadian have received dental care through the plan since it started in the first 3 months. and 2.3 million have signed up. Eligibility expands again in early 2025

More than 70% of dentists now accepting patients through Canadian Dental Care Plan

Quote:
OTTAWA—Canada’s health minister says he’s been surprised by a rapid rise in oral health providers trying out the Liberal government’s dental care plan, an increase he attributes to a new claims process dental groups are now urging must be made permanent.

The increase comes after weeks of negotiations — and at times, public squabbling — between the federal government and dental associations, who had been slow to warm to the way the program was initially offered when it first rolled out in May.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/can...2024-1.7286318

Last edited by Nite; Aug 8, 2024 at 5:18 AM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
lol?

is there something funny about this? Or about the possibility of racist rioting coming to Canada?

what do you mean by "Lol"?
lol . Because it’s the direction trudeau and co are taking us in. As people become more and more marginalized they’re eventually going to get pissed and they will turn to shit like violence. People like marshsparrow and warren whatever her name is are blindly leading us off this cliff and for what? Some ideology they bought into about diversity. Our strength is quickly becoming our weakness. Fools.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 11:57 AM

Some time around 2015 pretty much all social equality issues had been solved, so the far left had nothing else to fight for. This is when fighting for equality turned into fighting for equity, and DEI/wokeness was born. Then COVID came along and these douchebags went into overdrive.

Equality = equal opportunity

Equity = equal outcome

Anyhow, the coming conservative wave can't be stopped at this point and there's really nothing that the DEI folk can do about it. It makes them angry which is why they're getting so loud.

We're probably headed for 40 years of conservative/libertarian policies (from all parties), and a new world economic order is very likely to emerge over the next couple of years, possibly decades end. The stock market is currently crashing, the yield curve has uninverted, and unemployment is skyrocketing, so my guess is we're pretty close to the crisis. And then pragmatism will take over.

Last edited by Build.It; Aug 8, 2024 at 12:07 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build.It View Post
Some time around 2015 pretty much all social equality issues had been solved, so the far left had nothing else to fight for. This is when fighting for equality turned into fighting for equity, and DEI/wokeness was born. Then COVID came along and these douchebags went into overdrive.

Equality = equal opportunity

Equity = equal outcome

Anyhow, the coming conservative wave can't be stopped at this point and there's really nothing that the DEI folk can do about it. It makes them angry which is why they're getting so loud.

We're probably headed for 40 years of conservative/libertarian policies (from all parties), and a new world economic order is very likely to emerge over the next couple of years, possibly decades end. The stock market is currently crashing, the yield curve has uninverted, and unemployment is skyrocketing, so my guess is we're pretty close to the crisis. And then pragmatism will take over.
40 years seems wildly optimistic about Conservative election prospects.
If we can thread the needle between DEI nonsense and outright white nationalism racism we have a good chance. So far PP seems inclined to overtrun racisit DEI policies but hasn't repeated any of the Trump/Farage racist tropes. Of course he wil be called racist anyway. Being colourblind is now racist don't you know? As is perfectionism especially in written documents. Editing is racist don't you know?

But regardless there is just as much silliness in other areas of the Conservative agenda that we will get tired of after 4 8 or 12 years.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 12:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I think Build It is right that we are headed for more conservative times socially. Note that he referred to "all parties" and I think he's right.

Just as the zeitgeist pushed our conservatives more to the left in recent decades (they even became Progressive Conservatives for a long time), these winds will almost certainly push more progressive parties to the right a bit.

Note that in all western countries we've basically had 60 largely uninterrupted years of progressive societal enchancements.

It's been a good run. Now let's not squander everything that's been gained.

(SSPers in particular should also remember that "this is what what I want to happen" is not political analysis.)

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 12:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build.It View Post
Some time around 2015 pretty much all social equality issues had been solved, so the far left had nothing else to fight for.
While some might argue this is true, there is no consensus on this and the view of many is that things are just as bad as ever.

It's persuasive enough that it's given rise to the woke movement and other associated trends.

Which of course, in spite of all the denials, has a pretty direct causality with the emerging socially conservative shift.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 1:14 PM
sick transit, gloria

This is a broad generalization, but things like DEI / wokeness messaging adopted by the powers that be (government or corporate) tend to be a good way to obfuscate real economic issues. A shift to a more "conservative" mindset will likely be more of the same from a different angle.

From a macro perspective the shift we are seeing isn't likely to fundamentally change much in terms of Real Governance. Though of course on the ground YMMV, and there will be a new set of losers/winners. The current ire on either side of the equation still stems from real experiences even if the outcomes are certainly disagreeable to various segments of the population.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 1:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
This is a broad generalization, but things like DEI / wokeness messaging adopted by the powers that be (government or corporate) tend to be a good way to obfuscate real economic issues. A shift to a more "conservative" mindset will likely be more of the same from a different angle.

From a macro perspective the shift we are seeing isn't likely to fundamentally change much in terms of Real Governance. Though of course on the ground YMMV, and there will be a new set of losers/winners. The current ire on either side of the equation still stems from real experiences even if the outcomes are certainly disagreeable to various segments of the population.
I've been saying the highlighted for a while.

And I think you're spot-on in terms of how this is likely to go. If you're a conservative you'll see how progressives have been able to obfuscate economic problems and inequalities by waging the culture wars, so why wouldn't you do the same? I mean, the right wingers are obviously already doing it. They just don't have the upper hand in most places, outside of a few US states. Yet.

I hate to pollute a Canadian thread with another US reference, but just look at the illegal immigration problem in the US. Each side virtue signals and harangues the other over the issue, with mostly superficial and shock-value arguments. But neither really wants to do anything about it.

Last edited by Acajack; Aug 8, 2024 at 1:47 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
This is a broad generalization, but things like DEI / wokeness messaging adopted by the powers that be (government or corporate) tend to be a good way to obfuscate real economic issues.
I believe this to. There's a part of me that thinks all the political turmoil we see today can be traced back the Great Recession. The economy has been running on life-support ever since, and all the culture war stuff is just distraction.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 2:08 PM

My opinion on this is basically a blend of Neil Howe, Ray Dalio, and then what I've observed in my own life.

Peter Schiff also has some good points regarding the global monetary system (sound money vs fiat), but I take his predictions with a grain of salt. (He nailed Japan late 80s, 2000 dot com, and 2008 GFC, but has also had a lot of misses)

Last edited by Build.It; Aug 8, 2024 at 2:20 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 2:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Human history is cyclical, not linear.

This applies to "progress" as well. We can easily fall back to stuff we thought was behind us for good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada