HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
Can't speak for the other states & not sure if you've been to Florida but it is in the Sub-Tropics and when it gets hot we have daily thundershowers to cool off the temps.

Do you know how rare it is to have a Heatwave in Florida or that Miami has Never had a temp above 99 F degrees?
Miamis heat index is over 100 many days of the year. And the dew point is always one of the highest. The heat index/dew point is what matters. Its currently 79 dew point in Miami at 11:30 Am. A dew point of 76 is considered "miserable".

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...277743448.html

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories...d67525575c042e

According to this, Miami-Dade avged 41 days a year over 100 heat index from 1971-2000. That was 2000. Its likely 50-60 days over 100 now if not more. Lots has changed since 2000.

Last edited by LA21st; Aug 6, 2024 at 3:40 PM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I feel like dry heat can be worse than humidity. Like bobdreamz mentioned, South Florida has afternoon thunderstorms that cool things down during the summer. It can be uncomfortable, but if you’re used to it, it’s not that bad. I actually like it since I get cold easily and the humidity keeps the heat around longer.

In Cali, the more inland you are, the worse the heat is. The marine layer and the cooler Pacific have a similar effect in areas like San Diego, LA, and the Bay. But in the Central Valley, Inland Empire, and deserts? You’ll be baking in 100 degrees plus heat.
Humidity is much worse. Nobody gets used to it. Thats just some coping mechanism. Thats no different than someone in Phoenix saying theyre used to 106 degrees.
Cool things down? Rain makes things MORE HUMID.

Look up dew points and compare Miami/Fl to California lmao.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 4:01 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Houstonian here, the humidity is just awful. Give me 110 and 40% humidity in Phoenix over 90 with 80% humidity any day of the week. When I lived in the East Bay, I would hang dry my clothes on the front porch and everything would be dry in a few hours...incl. jeans.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Westerner as in the global west or US west? People obviously pay an arm and a leg to live in dense places throughout the global west. Focusing in on the western US, the city of San Francisco is a little higher in density than Tokyo, so they also will pay through the nose to live in that type of density on the West Coast.
A very small niche will. Obviously not the norm. There's no way the wealthiest parts of San Francisco have Tokyo density.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
A very small niche will. Obviously not the norm. There's no way the wealthiest parts of San Francisco have Tokyo density.
No... Nearly everywhere in the global west lol. In Europe the wealthiest areas of a major metro area will generally be much denser than Tokyo's average. Many of the wealthiest metros in North America also exhibit this pattern.

Tokyo isn't really that dense, btw. Manhattan is far more dense than Tokyo. But Tokyo maintains a San Francisco level of density over a far larger area than any other city on Earth.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
No... Nearly everywhere in the global west lol. In Europe the wealthiest areas of a major metro area will generally be much denser than Tokyo's average. Many of the wealthiest metros in North America also exhibit this pattern.
The vast majority of the wealthy in the US doesn't choose to live in density with Manhattan really being the only exception because they're pretty much forced to. And the really wealthy there still have their other single family homes elsewhere.

I guess I'm not aware of the lack of density in Tokyo. But that's a whole other can of worms since density can be easily manipulated by city limits that include other uses of land that aren't residential. San Francisco is very small.

The point is the California dream is single family home living, it's not New York. Which is why when they can't get that in California they go to Arizona, Texas, Nevada, Idaho, etc. And even New York has had negative domestic migration since, what? 1930? So still not what Americans want.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 5:20 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Humidity is much worse. Nobody gets used to it. Thats just some coping mechanism. Thats no different than someone in Phoenix saying theyre used to 106 degrees.
Cool things down? Rain makes things MORE HUMID.

Look up dew points and compare Miami/Fl to California lmao.
I don't know, I can only speak for myself since I was raised in Florida. I don't mind the humidity, as long as it's not too hot. I do think Coastal California is better in the summer though, much better than inland.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 5:23 PM

Quote:
The vast majority of the wealthy in the US doesn't choose to live in density with Manhattan really being the only exception because they're pretty much forced to. And the really wealthy there still have their other single family homes elsewhere.

I guess I'm not aware of the lack of density in Tokyo. But that's a whole other can of worms since density can be easily manipulated by city limits that include other uses of land that aren't residential. San Francisco is very small.

The point is the California dream is single family home living, it's not New York. Which is why when they can't get that in California they go to Arizona, Texas, Nevada, Idaho, etc. And even New York has had negative domestic migration since, what? 1930? So still not what Americans want.
CA and NYC dont get big domestic migration because of cost. If those places ever became more affordable, people would rush to both in insane numbers. We all know this would happen.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I don't know, I can only speak for myself since I was raised in Florida. I don't mind the humidity, as long as it's not too hot. I do think Coastal California is better in the summer though, much better than inland.
As someone who's raised in humid NOVA and spent many years in Chicago summers, you're the exception. Most people (even athletes) have a hard time being outside for a decent amout of time. Sure its not so bad if youre staying in AC most of the day, but how is that any different than staying in the heat in cold winters?

Go visit the mall in DC in the summer and see all those poor tourists drenched in sweat, guzzling water in between museums. It is a rough time. Walking in business casual/suits is always gross as hell. Your body doesnt get used to it.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 8:44 PM

Quote:
And the whole appeal of California is having a single family home in a gorgeous setting with near perfect weather.
fixed. Millions of Californians live in apartments after all.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 9:18 PM

I have a hard time thinking California has turned the corner, especially with the southwestern states like AZ, NV and CO offering cheaper house prices and for many, better quality of life. And now you have Texas in the mix poaching headquarters of companies, big and small, and larger numbers of people. I think California is now like New York state, in that will grow some years and decline other years, all while maintaining a population between 39 million and 41-42 million over a 30 year period, like NY has maintained a population between 19 and 21 million over the last 40 or so years.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Tokyo is a vast city. I've been twice and what struck me both times is that outside of 3-4 nodes of insane activitiy (Shibuya, Shinjuku, etc) and specifically the areas right around their train stations, most of the city is quiet and docile. It give me LA vibes more than anything else. Hilly with lots of evergreen brush and mostly residential streets with no commercial activity.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Houstonian here, the humidity is just awful. Give me 110 and 40% humidity in Phoenix over 90 with 80% humidity any day of the week. When I lived in the East Bay, I would hang dry my clothes on the front porch and everything would be dry in a few hours...incl. jeans.
Here in San Antonio, even though the afternoons are like being in a convection oven, the mornings and evenings can actually be almost kinda sorta pleasant (if you squint), especially with the typical breeze. Houston is just oppressive 24 hours a day in the summer. A couple of years ago when I was there in August, I took my dog for a quick walk around the Rothko Chapel at about 6:30 in the morning and came back drenched with sweat. Not from the heat, either.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 10:00 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Here in San Antonio, even though the afternoons are like being in a convection oven, the mornings and evenings can actually be almost kinda sorta pleasant (if you squint), especially with the typical breeze. Houston is just oppressive 24 hours a day in the summer. A couple of years ago when I was there in August, I took my dog for a quick walk around the Rothko Chapel at about 6:30 in the morning and came back drenched with sweat. Not from the heat, either.
Houston has been getting even hotter with longer spells without any rain. It's been in the upper 90's for the past week or so and expected to continue for a while and my hard is much sunnier after we lost a couple of huge oaks from Beryl that provided a lot of shade in the afternoon. Where you are, at least a little dryer and the trees and plants are acclimated to dry spells.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 10:04 PM

At least… so far… this summer has been nothing like last summer.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 10:37 PM

Is Houston more humid than, say, Charleston, SC? I spend about a week each summer in Charleston, and I find the humidity to be fine if you have good AC to come home to. I take bike rides, play tennis, go for walks, etc. with little issue when I'm in Charleston. I would definitely not do that in the summer in Palm Springs, Vegas, or Phoenix- dry heat or not.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
I have a hard time thinking California has turned the corner, especially with the southwestern states like AZ, NV and CO offering cheaper house prices and for many, better quality of life. And now you have Texas in the mix poaching headquarters of companies, big and small, and larger numbers of people. I think California is now like New York state, in that will grow some years and decline other years, all while maintaining a population between 39 million and 41-42 million over a 30 year period, like NY has maintained a population between 19 and 21 million over the last 40 or so years.
Poaching hqs doesnt mean much. There's still more Tesla employees in CA than Texas. Way more. And Space X engineers arent leaving the South Bay for Brownsville lol.
Maybe some C-suite people and their admins, but thats probably it. It means very little.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Just about all big cities have a negative domestic migration, and there has probably been a domestic outflow in New York since far longer than the 1930s. But it's not the wealthy that are fleeing California or New York. The people leaving are middle and lower classes that can't afford to live in those places anymore. And affordability for middle classes is a problem, but my point is that density and wealth are very much intertwined. The densest places are the wealthiest. There aren't many (any?) examples of densely populated major cities that are poor in the west.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 2:27 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Is Houston more humid than, say, Charleston, SC? I spend about a week each summer in Charleston, and I find the humidity to be fine if you have good AC to come home to.
The humidity is about the same, but Houston’s high temperatures average about 9 degrees hotter in August and most of Houston is too far from the coast to get any moderating sea breezes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions