HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 3:50 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
This was posted in City Discussion and I thought I'd share because it really goes to show how much of downtown is still parking. Could be worse, tho!

And the parking map for SLC:

This is very embarrassing. IMO. Too many derelict land-bankers in town.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
This was posted in City Discussion and I thought I'd share because it really goes to show how much of downtown is still parking. Could be worse, tho!

And the parking map for SLC:

I wonder how much we'd jump up those rankings if the church develops its super block surface parking lots...

Last edited by John_Walker; Aug 2, 2024 at 2:25 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 2:38 PM
Engineer

I’m counting ~63 blocks within the area. If the church developed blocks east of triad and 400S Main I’m estimating 2.7/63 = 4.3% putting salt lake at around 25 percent, around where Houston is. That’s assuming they’re not including roads in the total area, which they must not be because New York couldn’t be anywhere near 0 if they did.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 6:21 PM
Ironweed

Some guy's perspective on the 10 worst big city downtowns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsDLos4rTxc

Kinda interesting.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post

Kinda interesting.
Rosslyn and the National Mall are not part of downtown DC. And the area that actually is downtown DC should not be on this list. It is one of the most dense, walkable downtowns in the country with great public transit, lots of amenities and shopping, and lots of green space and waterfronts.

I actually live in a highrise in Rosslyn and walk into DC weekly. Fantastic place to be.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 7:21 PM

While SLC does have a lot of parking, not all of it is bad, so to speak.

In the image:

Some of the parking shown isn't surface lots but garages, with ground floor retail such as the downtown Harmons, the lot behind Sigfrieds, and the Wells Fargo parking garage. These have street level activation and don't really impact the pedestrian experience. Additionally, a couple of the surface lots have been or are currently being developed since this image was created.

I do think that we will see a reduction in surface lots over the next few years, while some may become structured parking for nearby projects (Theater Tower and Block 67) others may be replaced with new developments (NE corner State and 4th South).

As transit options increase, we will see the need for parking to continue to decrease.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 12:51 AM

390 w 1700 s

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
While SLC does have a lot of parking, not all of it is bad, so to speak.

Some of the parking shown isn't surface lots but garages, with ground floor retail such as the downtown Harmons, the lot behind Sigfrieds, and the Wells Fargo parking garage. These have street level activation and don't really impact the pedestrian experience. Additionally, a couple of the surface lots have been or are currently being developed since this image was created.

I do think that we will see a reduction in surface lots over the next few years, while some may become structured parking for nearby projects (Theater Tower and Block 67) others may be replaced with new developments (NE corner State and 4th South).

As transit options increase, we will see the need for parking to continue to decrease.
Sure these garages have retail but they are still laughable considering their massive size, the prime real estate they take up, and what each replaced. They will likely remain for decades more, the Walker Center garage was around when my grandpa was a kid and it’ll be there when he dies.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post

Kinda interesting.
Uhhhh.. DC rocks.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 3:37 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
Sure these garages have retail but they are still laughable considering their massive size, the prime real estate they take up, and what each replaced. They will likely remain for decades more, the Walker Center garage was around when my grandpa was a kid and it’ll be there when he dies.
Agreed. Both the Walker Center and the Wells Fargo Center garages would be 100x better if they were actually connected to a tower or something (like a tower was built on both).

Of course, the most egregious remains the one over Plum Alley since it took out Salt Lake's Chinatown.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 3:19 AM

Esplanade Apartments

25 N 1000 W, Salt Lake City, UT 84116
207 Units
[IMG][/IMG]

https://odysseyresidentialholdings.c...ies/esplanade/

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
Two of those three images are some of my favorite places in the downtown core. Tons of restaurants, Kaze, Spitz, Poke. They are pretty much the best case scenarios of what a parking garage can be like.

Not laughable in the slightest but fantastic street activation. Parking with ground floor retail of that quality is welcome because it makes downtown more accessible to those in the entire CSA meaning more and larger amenities. As long as we keep building downtown housing units, which we are, I’m happy with these types of parking structures.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainSkyline View Post
Imagine something along these lines for the new "Urban IHC Hospital"
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I used to frequent this building in Groningen Netherlands
There is a proposal in Midtown Omaha for a 400 ft. hospital tower that is going to be approved on 8/8, with site prep beginning later this year and construction starting next spring. Something also that tall would be great for this development.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Walker View Post
There is a proposal in Midtown Omaha for a 400 ft. hospital tower that is going to be approved on 8/8, with site prep beginning later this year and construction starting next spring. Something also that tall would be great for this development.
Freaking Omaha

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Freaking Omaha
The law states that all buildings in downtown SLC must be a perfect square or rectangle and all developers must choose between white, black, grey or brown for all exterior facades.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 10:14 PM
They all float down here

Don't forget glass blue!

But I'm not even mad at the color scheme of most our towers. I just want something with a nice crown and some height.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juancrocco View Post
Two of those three images are some of my favorite places in the downtown core. Tons of restaurants, Kaze, Spitz, Poke. They are pretty much the best case scenarios of what a parking garage can be like.

Not laughable in the slightest but fantastic street activation. Parking with ground floor retail of that quality is welcome because it makes downtown more accessible to those in the entire CSA meaning more and larger amenities. As long as we keep building downtown housing units, which we are, I’m happy with these types of parking structures.
Sure, it may be the best case scenario for a massive, hideous, and wasteful parking structure. I can’t say that makes me happy they exist. Can there be more housing and less wasteful parking? That’s too big of an ask for anywhere in Utah, I suppose. I wish the restaurants lining 300 S between State and Main were inside better buildings.

Same for Regent Street n Plum Alley, obviously.

When it comes to parking garages, I appreciate when there’s effort put into their appearance. Greenery, or decor, or murals.. whatever.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 3:01 PM

Arrow

In the last county council meeting, they approved a motion to give preliminary support to the Rio Grande Plan and include it in all of the transportation planning moving forward. Crazy to see what was once a pipe dream on this forum become more and more possible.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 10:16 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
In the last county council meeting, they approved a motion to give preliminary support to the Rio Grande Plan and include it in all of the transportation planning moving forward. Crazy to see what was once a pipe dream on this forum become more and more possible.
Until shovels are in the ground, sadly, I'll still call it a pipedream.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 4:17 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
What's the estimated cost of the Rio Grande Plan these days? It's so transformative, but I imagine that it might end up being the most expensive project in SLC's history.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West