HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 10:49 AM

WESTJET SUSPENDS VANCOUVER – ORANGE COUNTY SERVICE IN NW24

WestJet during Northern winter 2024/25 season is adjusting service on Vancouver – Orange County route, as the airline removed service during winter season. The carrier previously scheduled 4 weekly flights between 27OCT24 and 25APR25, with 737-700 aircraft.

WS1754 YVR0940 – 1240SNA 73W x246
WS1755 SNA1330 – 1635YVR 73W x246

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240725-wsnw24sna

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyaki View Post
The end of construction is in sight for the new Plaza Premium International Lounge at YVR.
Would have loved to see some more renderings or sneak-construction pics.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/plaz...d-new-location
I'd prefer to hear that AC will gut and redo its domestic lounge. It's heavily over-used and the bathrooms are so humid you can almost taste the air.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfan12 View Post
WESTJET SUSPENDS VANCOUVER – ORANGE COUNTY SERVICE IN NW24

WestJet during Northern winter 2024/25 season is adjusting service on Vancouver – Orange County route, as the airline removed service during winter season. The carrier previously scheduled 4 weekly flights between 27OCT24 and 25APR25, with 737-700 aircraft.

WS1754 YVR0940 – 1240SNA 73W x246
WS1755 SNA1330 – 1635YVR 73W x246

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240725-wsnw24sna
... correct me if I'm wrong, but I think AC will retain that route year-round. What a relief. I am sure that California destinations have as many, sometimes more Canadian pax than any other Canadian city,
including YYZ. As I said, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 8:49 PM

How would a california airport have more canadian passengers than a canadian airport? Where are they coming from?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
That KAL might actually be an even bigger plane as of this winter, if we are to believe Prince of Travel, who are claiming that ICN-YVR will be KAL's first long haul route to get the new 787-10 (with new cabin) later this year.

More seats, more seats!
That would be great, even if it's just a few of the frequencies per week, the -10 just looks more sleek given its length.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
How would a california airport have more canadian passengers than a canadian airport? Where are they coming from?
Excuse me, I think there is a misunderstanding here. Take any California airport that has routes into Canada (LAX, SFO, SAN, SMF, SNA,....). OK, of the Canadian pax arriving at said California airport, which Canadian airport provides the most Canadian feed (pax) into those airports? I would think it would be YVR or YYZ, but perhaps YYC; I don't know. / I hope that clarifies my question. Thank you.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 4:04 AM

Theres a pretty interesting rumour over on airliners net in the New Zealand Aviation thread.

Quoting from airliners net

Quote:
I spoke to my neighbour today (Air NZ pilot) and the current cockpit rumour is a return to LHR via YVR. Won't happen until the new 787's are delivered and the 787 engine problems are behind them.

Apparently Air Canada started YVR-AKL without consulting Air NZ so they aren't concerned about annoying them.
While reading that thread, I saw something that further fuels this rumour is that ANZ has hinted that YVR would be one of the first destinations to see the new 787 product. Like what the poster mentioned, could ANZ be waiting to receive its new 787 cabin so they can relaunch flights to London ?

I wonder if Air New Zealand would be able to get 5th freedom rights between Vancouver and London.

Nevertheless we'll see what happens in the coming years if this comes to fruition or not.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakafi_81 View Post
I wonder if Air New Zealand would be able to get 5th freedom rights between Vancouver and London.

Nevertheless we'll see what happens in the coming years if this comes to fruition or not.
Yes, fifth freedom.

“Air carriers will also be able to pick up traffic in each other's territory and continue to a third country as part of a service to or from their home territory.”
https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/transport-...nt/new-zealand

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Excuse me, I think there is a misunderstanding here. Take any California airport that has routes into Canada (LAX, SFO, SAN, SMF, SNA,....). OK, of the Canadian pax arriving at said California airport, which Canadian airport provides the most Canadian feed (pax) into those airports? I would think it would be YVR or YYZ, but perhaps YYC; I don't know. / I hope that clarifies my question. Thank you.
Yes, I understand now.

It would be YVR by a large margin in all cases except San Diego for some strange reason which is YYZ by a hair.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakafi_81 View Post
Theres a pretty interesting rumour over on airliners net in the New Zealand Aviation thread.

Quoting from airliners net

While reading that thread, I saw something that further fuels this rumour is that ANZ has hinted that YVR would be one of the first destinations to see the new 787 product. Like what the poster mentioned, could ANZ be waiting to receive its new 787 cabin so they can relaunch flights to London ?

Interesting.

I think I brought this up a few years back (pre-covid) as a good idea for a scissor hub over LAX which has obvious visa issues for passengers. I hope it happens!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 3:22 PM
life in the present

YVR May 2024 Facts and Stats out.

All time record May for emplaned and deplaned.

All time record May for Transborder and Europe.

https://www.yvr.ca/en/about-yvr/facts-and-stats

Source : yvr.ca

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 5:29 PM

Wow those Europe planes must be extremely full.

That's a 1% growth over 2019 Europe with a 19% drop in seats.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Interesting.

I think I brought this up a few years back (pre-covid) as a good idea for a scissor hub over LAX which has obvious visa issues for passengers. I hope it happens!
NZ'ers don't need a visa to enter the US. They just need an ETA, same as to Canada. The whole process is straightforward and can be done online for around 40$. You get approval within a day I think. So that's not really the issue.

YVR has the edge over LAX not in terms of visa requirement, but rather in terms of transit experience.

International-international transit in any US airport is a PITA, as there is no sterile transit. You always need to clear customs/immigration and then re-enter the secure side. That's not the case at YVR.

https://traveltalk.nz/reviews-tips/t...2-with-air-nz/

If NZ were to re-engage to LHR, doing it via YVR would make sense.

- Less competition on YVR-LHR vs LAX-LHR. (but also less demand). Less competition on AKL-YVR as well, vs AKL-LAX.
- Sterile transit at YVR, vs a shitty experience at LAX. Probably no need to apply for an ETA in Canada while transiting as well.
- YVR-Europe capacity is still well below 2019, so NZ could capitalize on that as well.

However, they left LHR in 2020 for a reason. I don't see them back there that easily. The overall dynamics of why they left are still there. There is a lot of one stop competition from NZ to LHR. (EK, QR, QF, SQ, CX, AA, UA, DL, AC, Chinese carriers, etc) Will changing the stopover to YVR help alleviate the yield/cost problem? Maybe. Maybe not.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 9:40 PM

Fair assessment. I would agree with all your points, except visa ease.

Not all people flying AKL-LHR would be NZ citizens, so for those people traveling through Canada is likely easier than through LAX or other points in the US, even if they do not take advantage of sterile transit in Canada.

Also Canada surely has a cost advantage over the US with the low CAD vs USD.

With all that said I agree NZs need/desire to go back to LHR is the key point here and I bet they are years off at best.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 2:54 AM

Looks like ZG will be operating YVR-NRT with 4x weekly on days 1467 for W24.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 6:01 AM
(daka_x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
Looks like ZG will be operating YVR-NRT with 4x weekly on days 1467 for W24.
Release here https://www.zipair.net/en/notification/252

I keep seeing these flights as being sold out and/or full. Although modest, a loss in service is incredibly disappointing...

ZG recently also announced service reductions to San Jose (where it was definitely performing not as well, supposedly around 70% fillrate on the flights) going from 1 daily (7/wk) to 4/wk there. I wonder if they might look at a new route (SEA?)

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
Release here https://www.zipair.net/en/notification/252

I keep seeing these flights as being sold out and/or full. Although modest, a loss in service is incredibly disappointing...

ZG recently also announced service reductions to San Jose (where it was definitely performing not as well, supposedly around 70% fillrate on the flights) going from 1 daily (7/wk) to 4/wk there. I wonder if they might look at a new route (SEA?)
More like they don't have enough planes. Traditionally winter is peak season for NRT-HNL, so the route is likely to go daily for at least part of the season. YVR is a new route, and SJC are not doing too well... so it's not hard to think where they are cutting.

And likely they are taking planes out for longer maintenance. During summer, they were pretty much using all 8 planes.

But they still haven't release HNL schedule yet... I'm guessing it's 3-4x weekly for most of the season and daily while SJC is operating. If not, then they probably saved a few frequency to be added during the latter part of the season based on initial booking, similar to S24.

Remember, YVR was only planned with 3x weekly for S24. It was later upped to 5x using the extra frequency that was held back.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 9:53 PM

Going from 3x in Mar 24' to 4x in NW 24 seems ok to me. Would have been great if it had stayed 5x but hardly incredibly disappointing in my eyes.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:47 PM

Question

When and why was San Jose CA dropped? We had it for years, but I can't see any flights from YVR there now. Too close to San Fancisco, perhaps, and therefore absorbed into he SFO air market?

Old Posted Today, 2:21 AM
(daka_x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
When and why was San Jose CA dropped? We had it for years, but I can't see any flights from YVR there now. Too close to San Fancisco, perhaps, and therefore absorbed into he SFO air market?
The Bay Area is about to get a huge infrastructure boost with the completion of Caltrain electrification, that makes SFO a lot more accessible from the San Jose direction and might change the equation for viability of international flights at SJC (Zipair is currently their only overseas route)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure