HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
I didn't mean it in a political sense, more in a cultural sense.
A good illustration of what I was saying to help understand: US media tonight are all about Léon Marchand winning a 4th gold medal. Performance is highly valued in the US, even if it's a foreign performance.

Then check the Québécois newspapers: you'd think they, in North America, should be the most interested in the incredible victories of a French athlete. Well you won't find Léon Marchand on their main pages (I've checked Le Devoir and Le Journal de Montréal, not a word about Léon Marchand's extraordinary feet, whereas it's top of the main page of NYTimes, Washington Post, and the Wall Street Journal (!) had a big article about him the other day).

See, I think there is perhaps less of a culture of performance in Québec, it's a more left-wing society.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 8:51 PM

Quote:
A good illustration of what I was saying to help understand: US media tonight are all about Léon Marchand winning a 4th gold medal. Performance is highly valued in the US, even if it's a foreign performance.
What performance? You appear to be fantasizing the US too much.

ESPN must still be the major US media network when it comes to sport... Even worldwide, ahead of BBC Sport.
I've been frequently watching the ESPN site out of curiosity and it's very very much about team GB.
Heck, it even makes up the headlines above team USA.
Laughable. Very US sports like the MLB (that no one cares about outside the US) have disappeared, been forgotten for the real international event.

Don't expect so much advertisement from them for our country.
I suspect that at thins point, any French additional victory is a pain in their butt, even when Léon's been trained in the US since the summer of 2021.
That's the way it is. And it is actually quite stimulating! Like a challenge.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 8:53 PM

Quote:
See, I think there is perhaps less of a culture of performance in Québec, it's a more left-wing society.
Or you're just misinterpreting Quebec culture, and don't understand the dominance of winter sports in la belle province. Quebec is a nordique Scandinavian-styled nation, and it isn't California in terms of interest in swimming. The bobos do not control the elite sports apparatus in Quebec. Acajack is absolutely right that it has nothing to do with Quebec's progressive left tendencies nor QS-PQ left-wing politics nor any aversion to performance culture.

Marchand is trending on LaPresse:
https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/jeux-...aille-d-or.php

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 9:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The Radio-Canada Québécois commentator actually let out a bit of a cheer for Marchand during the race today: « Allez Léon! ».

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 10:16 PM

Quote:
I didn't mean it in a political sense, more in a cultural sense.

Anyway, another CRAAAAZY night here!! 4th gold medal for Léon Marchand. I think all of France has fallen in love with him now.

Top 5 is like... 3 Anglo-Saxon countries, and 2 non-Anglo-Saxon intruders, France and China.

But where is Canada?? The one big Anglo-Saxon country that really seems to be underperforming. (I know, Winter games, etc, but still!)
We're at #9, which is good for us. As usual, quite a few 4th, 5th, and 6th place finishes. USA seems to be off to a relatively slow start. Australia is a powerhouse, especially in the pool.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Don't expect so much advertisement from them for our country.
I suspect that at thins point, any French additional victory is a pain in their butt, even when Léon's been trained in the US since the summer of 2021.
That's the way it is. And it is actually quite stimulating! Like a challenge.
Main page of the New York Times tonight (their main page, not their sports page):

Main page of the Washington Post:

And of course this tweet which has made the rounds since yesterday:

I can only recommend watching the video, the reaction of Michael Phelps is pretty amazing (only Americans gesture like that, that's why we like them ): https://x.com/SebastienBGY/status/1818868811962999220

What I've seen on Québécois medias has been much more subdued. I think that's noticeable considering how in general the medias from Québec react much more to events from France or involving French people than US media.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
We're at #9, which is good for us. As usual, quite a few 4th, 5th, and 6th place finishes. USA seems to be off to a relatively slow start. Australia is a powerhouse, especially in the pool.
Yeah, but their medias rank nations by total medal numbers, so they're #1 anyway. Not that I complain since that makes us #2.

Australia is good at swimming but not at much else. They'll probably go down the ranking next week. The one nation that is pretty high at this stage is Great Britain. They normally shouldn't be this high since their strong points are more obscure sports like rowing and Olympic cycling, where they have invested a lot because they grant LOTS of medals, and these take place in the last week, so normally they rank low until the last week, then suddenly jump in the top 5. For them to be so high already, I wonder whether they're not going to finish #2 overall.

I'm still a bit pessimistic for France, since after this Sunday we shouldn't win many more medals, as we haven't invested in the sports that take place after Sunday, but most French media seem rather optimistic, so who knows...

Anyway, the past few days have been days of euphoria, and what you guys cannot exactly fathom is how suddenly all Parisian métro lines work with high frequency (in the peak of summer, normally notorious for low frequency, lines closed, etc), punctuality, lots of available seats. Plus the safest streets I've seen in ages due to the MASSIVE police presence everywhere, all African migrants, beggars, vagrants suddenly gone, the Tuileries arcades suddenly looking entirely clean and free of homeless people like they were 15 years ago. A transformed city!! The flame rising in sky every day at nightfall in the Tuileries Gardens is also spectacular. It's also nice to walk in a city with lots of beautiful young men and women, athletes, etc, in the streets.

The wild exuberance of French fans is also nice to see. Since yesterday I see lots of families in the streets who have come from all over France, wearing "France" jersey shirts, having the French flag painted on their cheeks, etc. I somehow expected much more foreign visitors than French visitors, but the French fans are actually much more numerous than I would have imagined. The ambiance around the sports venues (which are partly in the city center) is pretty wild. It makes me laugh because most Parisians have decamped, imagining this would be a horrible time, but it's actually the best days I've seen in Paris in a long time, and free of the usual crowd and pressure. Lots of Americans (much more than usual), and last night a young Canadian couple asked me (in French! although it seemed to me they were from Anglophone Canada) at 1am if the Métro station was still opened (I thought about you guys). Lots of Brazilians too, Latin Americans.

Old Posted Today, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Quebec is definitely part of Canada and in many ways defines Canada.

That said, I'd disagree that every province in Canada is a "nation" in the way that Quebec is generally seen as one and sees itself as one.

Calling Saskatchewan or Nova Scotia a "nation" may have happened once somewhere, but it seems like a fanciful "us too!" type of thing more than anything.

Though a case could definitely be made for Newfoundland being a nation within Canada as well.

Aside from that, you have other groups within Canada not necessarily associated with entire provinces that are legitimate nations in the sociological sense: Inuit, Métis, First Nations, Acadiens, etc.
Inuit Nunangat could be a nation in the traditional sense as well. Or at least Nunavut.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada