HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 1:20 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamoforange View Post
Ashcroft isn't having good luck as of late

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...source=twitter
Ashcroft Homes defaults on $6.5M loan; three properties in receivership
Ashcroft's chief financial officer said the receivership involved "one lender that has taken action toward a particular property," and did not affect the much-larger Ashcroft group of companies.

Andrew Duffy, Ottawa Citizen
Published Jun 20, 2024 • Last updated 16 hours ago • 3 minute read

Ashcroft Homes has defaulted on a $6.5-million loan, sending three of its Richmond Road condominium properties into receivership.

Tenants of the three properties were issued letters earlier this week indicating that their landlord had gone into receivership. The letter, from the receiver BDO Canada Ltd., came with a court order attached.

That order, issued by Ontario Superior Court Justice Calum MacLeod, gave the receiver the power to take over management of the properties on June 17. The order applies to 101 Richmond Rd., 108 Richmond Rd. and 111 Richmond Rd., all owned by units of the Ashcroft group of companies.

Manny DiFilippo, Ashcroft’s chief financial officer, said the receivership involved “one lender that has taken action toward a particular property,” and did not affect the much-larger Ashcroft group of companies.

“It is a single lender relating to a single asset in a large portfolio of assets owned by Ashcroft,” DiFilippo said. “One never wants to be in a position of a loan going into receivership, but it is ring-fenced for that particular loan — and I think that’s the most I can say about it.”

Court documents show that Ashcroft Homes failed to repay a $6.53-million loan to Duca Financial Services when the loan matured in November 2023.

The two parties subsequently entered a “forbearance agreement,” the terms of which allowed Duca Financial to appoint a receiver if the loan remained unpaid when the deal expired.

In May, lawyers for Duca Financial argued that their client had been “more than patient” with Ashcroft and asked for an immediate receivership order.

Lawyers for Ashcroft told MacLeod that the firm had a commitment in place for $7 million in new financing, but needed several more weeks to finalize the deal.

MacLeod granted the receivership order, but issued a 30-day stay on its execution to give Ashcroft time to secure new financing.

The deadline for new financing expired on June 17 without a deal, and BDO Canada was appointed as official receiver. It took possession of the Richmond Road properties the same day.

A receivership is a legal remedy available to secured creditors to recover outstanding loans when a company defaults on its payments.

The court’s receivership order specifically excludes another Ashcroft Homes-owned property at 114 Richmond Rd.: the 19th century convent that was the subject of a years-long debate about its proposed redevelopment. A cloistered order of nuns, Les Soeurs de la Visitation, previously owned the convent, the original portions of which were built in the 1860s.

DiFilippo said the redevelopment plan for the convent was still being hammered out.

Earlier this month, Ashcroft made headlines when it was revealed the company was suing the City of Ottawa for $30 million for failing to build stormwater sewers in its new Eastboro development in Orléans.

Buyers have been waiting more than a year to move into completed homes in the development as Ashcroft and the city have fought over who should pay for the sewers.

In a statement of claim filed in May, Ashcroft asked for a court order directing the city to build the sewers as well as $30 million in damages for “breach of contract, unjust enrichment, negligent misrepresentation and/or bad faith.”

Since 1992, Ashcroft has built thousands of homes and condos in and around Ottawa. Its projects include planned communities such as Central Park at the Experimental Farm and townhome neighbourhoods such as Manhattan Square at Bells Corners.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...s-receivership

Last edited by rocketphish; Jun 21, 2024 at 1:57 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 1:53 PM

I find the above article regarding receivership to be misleading. Only the ground floor retail components are affected. The 1st paragraph makes it sound like entire buildings are affected. As usual very poor reporting. Interesting observation upon looking at Google Earth streetview the retail components affected all have tenants. The two building which lack retail tenants at 88 and 98 Richmond Road are not listed. Which leads to the question if Ashcroft is actually collecting rent why is the loan not being paid down?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 2:06 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

I have to wonder if it is just a coincidence that Ashcroft has been suddenly raising the rates at their Alavida retirement homes? Desperately seeking money to pay off those bank loans?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ario-1.7238198

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:43 AM

I walked around the building today - where I could without trespassing. There's obvious signs of deterioration everywhere. Some of the wood shoring holding some of the stone walls back are rotting out, significant cracks in many sections of the stone walls (in some cases inches wide), deteriorating eaves, unprotected wood, and a lot more no doubt hidden by all the greenery. I'm concerned they are going to let it rot until it's "too expensive to save". What's the soonest the city could realistically force them to start repairing the building envelope?

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawacurious View Post
I walked around the building today - where I could without trespassing. There's obvious signs of deterioration everywhere. Some of the wood shoring holding some of the stone walls back are rotting out, significant cracks in many sections of the stone walls (in some cases inches wide), deteriorating eaves, unprotected wood, and a lot more no doubt hidden by all the greenery. I'm concerned they are going to let it rot until it's "too expensive to save". What's the soonest the city could realistically force them to start repairing the building envelope?
Based on the City's pace at forcing property owners to fix up decaying properties (see the Lauzon school building in Lowertown, the Lockmaster Tavern and various buildings in Vanier) you could be waiting a while.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:51 PM

Ashcroft has a rally bad record when it comes to historical building neglect. They should be banned from owning heritage buildings.

I don't understand why they, and so many others, insist on buying heritage properties just to let them rot. If you eventually want a vacant lot, buy a parking lot.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:57 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Ashcroft has a rally bad record when it comes to historical building neglect. They should be banned from owning heritage buildings.

I don't understand why they, and so many others, insist on buying heritage properties just to let them rot. If you eventually want a vacant lot, buy a parking lot.
Not just heritage buildings. Ashcroft is one of the worst Ottawa developers. The entirety of Central Park is a tragedy and a wasteful of prime land in the middle of the city.

Old Posted Today, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawacurious View Post
I live a few blocks away and walk by daily, and it is an incredible shame. They most definitely are letting it rot away to demolish entirely. I took some photos below and you can see some of how it's not being maintained. I haven't taken on-the-ground photos yet, but I hope to before the entire thing has to be torn down. There needs to be consequences, and frankly the developer should not only be banned from purchasing heritage/ old structures but be required to rebuild it exactly as it was at personal cost. It's very expensive, but it's something being done in Europe and elsewhere. I think we actually saw it done with this building on Sparks Street.

Album - Soeurs de la Visitation

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa