HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 1:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashe View Post
It's hotly debated, but general consensus is that smaller (<4lb) lobsters are generally are easier to cook, more tender and have more consistent flavor and texture. Those big "show" lobsters look impressive but are logistically complicated to prepare, though pound for pound they are cheaper (meat to shell ratio is better).
I don't eat lobster, and, the only shellfish I really enjoy are scallops (although fried clams aren't bad).

I have heard however that smaler lobster tend to be more tender and succulent, while the big MoFo's tend to be a little "woody."

There is also no question that, with shellfish, the fresher the better, which is why many Maritimers will buy their lobster right off the dock, or, failing this, from small pick-up trucks sporting "fresh lobster" signs parked in strategic locations in the larger Maritime cities.

Torontonians do not have this option.

There is a reason why there are multiple 747 & 777 flights each week from Moncton and Halifax to China via Anchorage. The Chinese want their Atlantic lobster really, really fresh.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucylito View Post
Interesting, so every province in Canada has it's own immigration system within the country of Canada, as far as how many people can immigrate at any one time maybe, I'll do some more research then.

Saskatchewan must have a similar aggressive provincial nomination system.

Just a quick look at some immigration stats through the last few years or so,

In 2017, Manitoba had 14,700 immigrants and Saskatchewan had 14,680. I would call that similar numbers but maybe i'm completely out to lunch.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...18/report.html

In 2019/2020 Manitoba had 14,789 and Saskatchewan had 13,374 which is maybe seen as a whole dramatic level of difference, I just don't know in the Canadian context.

https://statisticsanddata.org/data/i...and-territory/

And last year in 2023, Manitoba had 25,591 immigrants and Saskatchewan had only slightly more at 26,124, which is a bit of a jump for both provinces, after covid probably, to be sure.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...nts-in-canada/

I'm sort of considering moving to Canada, depending on how the American elections go in the Fall. But I don't want to move somewhere too expensive, to somewhere I don't know the language, or to somewhere too remote like TheYukon or Atlantic, too far from home. I'm just putting out feelers for now.

Interesting, the interprovincial out migration in Manitoba is significantly more than Saskatchewan, yet Manitoba’s population is growing at a double the rate of Saskatchewan.at least from the population estimates.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I have heard however that smaller lobster tend to be more tender and succulent, while the big MoFo's tend to be a little "woody."

There is also no question that, with shellfish, the fresher the better, which is why many Maritimers will buy their lobster right off the dock, or, failing this, from small pick-up trucks sporting "fresh lobster" signs parked in strategic locations in the larger Maritime cities.

Freshly cooked smaller lobsters, 'Canners' as we call them are the real deal.

Yep, no offense to Toronto and it's great food scene but you can't do this on the beaches of Lake Ontario (even though this washed up lobster is already dead)...

Quote:
Nathan Coleman
@NateTWN
Just found on Cavendish Beach
https://twitter.com/NateTWN/status/1819735958054428954

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I don't eat lobster, and, the only shellfish I really enjoy are scallops (although fried clams aren't bad).

I have heard however that smaler lobster tend to be more tender and succulent, while the big MoFo's tend to be a little "woody."

There is a reason why there are multiple 747 & 777 flights each week from Moncton and Halifax to China via Anchorage. The Chinese want their Atlantic lobster really, really fresh.
Interestingly enough, I see 'fresh lobster' trucks around here all the time. Presumably they drive over night or something? I'm not sure but definitely see roadside lobster trucks.

EDIT: I'm actually curious now if this is prevalent elsewhere in Southern Ontario? I got thinking more about it and it's usually one truck just north of Cobourg that I see. It's not food truck where you buy cooked meals but rather a fairly ordinary truck selling fresh seafood/lobster.

Last edited by TownGuy; Aug 4, 2024 at 6:19 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 12:02 PM
Dolly Parton in the House

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Bad news, only Calgary, Moncton and K-W make the top 10 when we put up Canada against the real global boom towns.

Time to step on the gas, JT! Lets juice this thing!

I just had the most amazing pon farr with Spock - let's just say his ears aren't the best pointy feature on him!

Anyways, in between pillow talk he mentioned K-W isn't just the fastest growing city on earth, it's actually the fastest growing city in the United Federation of Planets. Thought you'd be interested in that information to update your chart.

Do we have any volunteers to sleep with a Klingon or Romulan? We could really use their city growth data.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tits_Of_Kitchener View Post
Anyways, in between pillow talk he mentioned K-W isn't just the fastest growing city on earth, it's actually the fastest growing city in the United Federation of Planets. Thought you'd be interested in that information to update your chart.
You need to account for time dilation issues when on your interstellar trysts if you want to avoid resurrecting a post from over two months ago.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Interesting, so every province in Canada has it's own immigration system within the country of Canada, as far as how many people can immigrate at any one time maybe, I'll do some more research then.

Saskatchewan must have a similar aggressive provincial nomination system.

Just a quick look at some immigration stats through the last few years or so,

In 2017, Manitoba had 14,700 immigrants and Saskatchewan had 14,680. I would call that similar numbers but maybe i'm completely out to lunch.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...18/report.html

In 2019/2020 Manitoba had 14,789 and Saskatchewan had 13,374 which is maybe seen as a whole dramatic level of difference, I just don't know in the Canadian context.

https://statisticsanddata.org/data/i...and-territory/

And last year in 2023, Manitoba had 25,591 immigrants and Saskatchewan had only slightly more at 26,124, which is a bit of a jump for both provinces, after covid probably, to be sure.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...nts-in-canada/

I'm sort of considering moving to Canada, depending on how the American elections go in the Fall. But I don't want to move somewhere too expensive, to somewhere I don't know the language, or to somewhere too remote like TheYukon or Atlantic, too far from home. I'm just putting out feelers for now.
Good to see those numbers for MB and SK!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 11:43 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
.... I don't know the language, or to somewhere too remote like TheYukon or Atlantic, too far from home. I'm just putting out feelers for now.
I'm always puzzled when people perceive Atlantic Canada as remote. Perhaps, Newfoundland is but the other 3 provinces aren't. The Maritimes are really just an extension of the US eastern seaboard and no more remote than Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 11:55 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I'm always puzzled when people perceive Atlantic Canada as remote. Perhaps, Newfoundland is but the other 3 provinces aren't. The Maritimes are really just an extension of the US eastern seaboard and no more remote than Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba.
Yeah I get that there's a contrast between the Maritimes and high population regions like southern Ont, the US NE corridor, Florida, or really anywhere with one or more multi-million person metro areas. But the territories are a whole other level. The Yukon compared to us is like us compared to Benelux.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I’ve made this point before but the Atlantic region gets pegged with the “remote” tag whereas the prairies generally do not, which is puzzling. Calgary and Edmonton have clearly become among Canada’s large-ish cities, but they are also near very little else, particularly Edmonton. The number of other major population centres within driving distance is just about nil, and the same is true of all prairie cities. Whereas yes, the Maritimes are really an extension of the eastern seaboard (though you do have to get through the boonies of Maine to get there).

You could argue that air connections are more important, and Calgary is better connected by air than YHZ—but YHZ still has pretty robust connections for a small city, and presents little difficulty for travellers.

And then there’s the fact that Atlantic Canada is connected to global shopping and ocean-passenger routes.

So the “remote” peg being applied to the east and not the west honestly feels more like a matter of skewed perspective than fact.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 11:03 PM

I think prairie cities often get tagged with the remote designation. They are a long way from anything for the most part.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 11:38 PM

Prairie cities are far more remote than anything in the Maritimes or Nfld. Calgary has Edmonton within 3 hours driving, but then nothing for about 10. Kelowna is flirting with big city status, but they are still >250 000. Flying is a different story, but not everyone wants to fly everywhere and deal with the shit show that is flying these days...

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 3:14 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Prairie cities are far more remote than anything in the Maritimes or Nfld. Calgary has Edmonton within 3 hours driving, but then nothing for about 10. Kelowna is flirting with big city status, but they are still >250 000. Flying is a different story, but not everyone wants to fly everywhere and deal with the shit show that is flying these days...
Drive times to northeastern cities from Moncton (courtesy of Google).

Personally, I could do better

Moncton/Halifax - 2 hrs, 39 minutes
Moncton/Quebec City - 7 hrs, 28 minutes
Moncton/Boston - 8 hrs, 8 minutes
Moncton/Montreal - 9 hrs, 54 minutes
Moncton/New York City - 11 hrs, 36 minutes
Moncton/Ottawa - 11 hrs, 38 minutes

Is Moncton isolated? I used to drive to Ottawa from Moncton in a single day without batting an eye. Just leave at 7 AM, and you could be in Ottawa easily by 8 PM, even adding in food, gas and pee breaks. It helps that you gain an hour during the trip.

Google says the drive time from Calgary to Vancouver is 11 hrs, 2 minutes.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 3:30 AM

Apart from the Territories and maybe St. John's, Canadian cities are moderately isolated at worst. All the cities in AC are clustered within a 4-5 hour drive of each other, so there is lots of interprovincial travel that can take place in a pretty small amount of time. The Prairies are slightly more isolated, with all cities within a 5-7 hour drive of major cities in other neighbouring provinces and in Manitoba's case US states. I just don't see this as being very 'isolated'.

Most Canadians have no idea what true isolation really means. Try living in Honolulu or other South Pacific Islands. For a more similar comparison, try living in Perth or Darwin in Australia. These are some of the most isolated cities on Earth and it takes at least 2-3 days driving time (not including driving overnight) to arrive at any of the nearest large cities in the country on the east and south coasts. New Zealand is fairly isolated as well.

Just putting things into perspective.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 5:53 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Yeah I get that there's a contrast between the Maritimes and high population regions like southern Ont, the US NE corridor, Florida, or really anywhere with one or more multi-million person metro areas. But the territories are a whole other level. The Yukon compared to us is like us compared to Benelux.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I’ve made this point before but the Atlantic region gets pegged with the “remote” tag whereas the prairies generally do not, which is puzzling. Calgary and Edmonton have clearly become among Canada’s large-ish cities, but they are also near very little else, particularly Edmonton. The number of other major population centres within driving distance is just about nil, and the same is true of all prairie cities. Whereas yes, the Maritimes are really an extension of the eastern seaboard (though you do have to get through the boonies of Maine to get there).

You could argue that air connections are more important, and Calgary is better connected by air than YHZ—but YHZ still has pretty robust connections for a small city, and presents little difficulty for travellers.

And then there’s the fact that Atlantic Canada is connected to global shopping and ocean-passenger routes.

So the “remote” peg being applied to the east and not the west honestly feels more like a matter of skewed perspective than fact.
Agree 100%. And having lived in the Maritimes you don't feel removed or distant from the wider world one iota.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 11:01 AM
Dolly Parton in the House

🍆 Sausage Statistics 🍆

What's everyone's hypothesis on why Kitchener-Waterloo has the highest percent of dick in the country?

Personally, I believe my architectural curves are drawing in all the boys. #SausageFest

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...pid=1710014801

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 1:50 PM

Stagnant jobs report for July with losses in part-time jobs exceeding gains in full-time jobs by 2,800. Unemployment rate remains unchanged at 6.4%

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I think part of the reason why the Maritimes feel remote is because we basically only have a single road connection to the rest of Canada which tends to go through very rural territory (up through the Gaspe). It's not even fully twinned highway yet (but should be done in another year or two). So even though the drive isn't bad and the distance isn't bad, it feels further than it actually is, especially once you get to the Fredericton to Riviere du Loup stretch (and even Riviere de Loup to QC can seem very sparse).

Going to the states can be almost as bad, even if the distance is comparable and it's separated highway the entire way. The long stretch through Maine is comparable to the long stretch through Northern NB/Gaspe Quebec, and makes it feel further than it actually is.

The isolation and self dependency is probably further enhanced because the core Maritime cities (Freddy/SJ/Moncton/Charlottetown/Halifax) are all basically just a few hours from each other, and while there are some isolated stretches between some of them (Freddy to anywhere else basically) it doesn't feel as 'bad' as trying to get to the rest of Canada or to the States. Even Sydney is in the orbit of the core 5 since getting there is relatively urbanized with lots of small and a few larger towns along the way to break up the isolation. (And some gorgeous natural scenery in the Cape Breton Highlands to distract you as well)

It's not going to happen, but the only way to really offset that "Remote" feeling would be to more fully urbanize the connections. Edmundston to R-du-Loup and Houlton Maine to Bangor especially would probably do a lot to make the Maritimes feel "closer" to the rest of North America. Get a few more mid sized towns along those routes basically. (Temiscoutta-sur-Lac is a good start)

On a side note, I was looking at Google Maps recently, and I was surprised at how developed western NB/Northern Maine actually is along the border. Granted it is mostly farmland, but you can really see a lot of stuff in the Woodstock to Grand Falls stretch. I think it gets overlooked a lot because aside from Florenceville, Perth Andover and Hartland, most of the development is actually in Maine (Presque Isle/Mars Hill/Fort Fairfield/Caribou/etc....) so from the Canadian side it looks like a bigger rural gap than it actually is.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 3:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

If you think the Maritimes are perceived as remote due to a hundred or so kilometres of two-lane highway link to the rest of Canada, try driving across Canada. The TCH through northern Ontario goes on forever, with a two lane, winding road connection to Manitoba, mostly through the Canadian Shield and a scattering of dying resource outposts. It makes the 'Road to Renous' (NB) look like the 401.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 4:07 PM

Yup. I've never done that distance. But my parents just took their RV out to Edmonton and back.

Coming back, 1 stop in SK, 1 in MB, 4 stops in Ontario, 1 in Quebec. Beautiful drive, and they said they noticed a lot of improvements from the last time they did it ~5 years or so ago. But a lot of REALLY remote/isolated territory too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada