HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 3:30 PM

For the Green Line, disappointed none of the media (or the City) seem to have a map of the Green Line a few weeks ago with Xs over what was cut to show the modifications.

Here's the before and after.

https://x.com/GreenLineYYC/status/1760346394110697750

https://globalnews.ca/news/10652421/...rt-green-line/

EDIT: here's my attempt at a visual representation of the Green Line cuts. Killing Centre Street will no doubt have a major impact on future ridership. You don't eliminate the station in the densest area of your City.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 5:56 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13
EDIT: here's my attempt at a visual representation of the Green Line cuts. Killing Centre Street will no doubt have a major impact on future ridership. You don't eliminate the station in the densest area of your City.
Yeah... for all the upsides of going underground, that's definitely one of the big downsides. That each underground station costs so damn much that there's a strong incentive to have as few as possible. And the denser an area is, the more expensive and disruptive building a station there tends to be. So it's the most tempting to cut stations where they're the most needed.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 6:22 PM

Excerpt from an article published in Le Soleil (translated through google translate).

Quote:
The tram machine starts up again. With the green light from the government, the City of Quebec is preparing to relaunch a major project on Laurier Boulevard in August 2025, Le Soleil has learned.
The pause in the tram project is well and truly over. Less than a year after its surprise interruption by the Legault government, the megaproject is ready to get back on track.

And as proof, the City of Quebec is relaunching a call for tenders to find partners in order to deploy major projects along the route designated for the tramway. The municipal administration wants in particular to complete the preparatory work already started, but which could not be completed due to the suspension decreed in November 2023.

Among them, Laurier Boulevard, on which ongoing interventions were able to continue, deemed essential by the Ministry of Transport.

Already under pressure from preparatory work for the tramway since May 2022, this nerve artery will be the scene of a new phase, to be launched in the summer of 2025 and for a duration which remains to be determined.

Valued at $70 million, the project will extend over a distance of approximately 1.7 km, from Route de l'Église to Avenue des Sciences Humaines, reveals a public call for tenders published in recent days.

In the document, Quebec reveals that it is looking for a professional service provider to guide it on its project related to municipal infrastructure, such as urban technical networks, sewers and aqueduct. After having completed all the documents necessary for the complete completion of the project, the City will launch a new call for tenders next May to move into construction mode.

We already know that the continued relocation of urban technical networks outside the future tramway platform, the complete repair of the drinking water and sewer networks, the repair of roads and other developments will part of the planned infrastructure works.

“This step is part of the continuation of the work started in 2021 aimed at redeveloping Laurier Boulevard, ultimately making it possible to deliver the development vision for the entire Sainte-Foy sector and to be ready to welcome the project tramway,” explains the City.

To make way for the rails, the important boulevard will also have to be widened in places.

[...]

P.S. The Phare project will supposedly/eventually/maybe pop up on the large vacant lot on the left.

https://www.lesoleil.com/actualites/...NJ3ZUEFTGFUMM/

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
For the Green Line, disappointed none of the media (or the City) seem to have a map of the Green Line a few weeks ago with Xs over what was cut to show the modifications.

Here's the before and after.

https://x.com/GreenLineYYC/status/1760346394110697750

https://globalnews.ca/news/10652421/...rt-green-line/

I've generally found the communications materials for the green line kind of frustrating to navigate. Obviously different project stages and timelines, but I've found the Valley Line projects a lot easier to follow, even long before construction started.

In any case, agreed about Centre street. I think that was one of the more exciting areas to bring into the network and it's too bad to see it shelved. Given the drama it's taken to get here though I can appreciate the effort to just get something moving so the project doesn't languish. It makes sense technically for this to be the start but it is a bit of a funny first phase, hopefully some of the subsequent expansions will be advanced fairly quickly. While I wouldn't go so far as to call it a line to nowhere, I don't think the revised phase will really demonstrate the value of the line which worries me a bit politically.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 11:48 PM

The cost of transit projects is getting out of hand. It’s not even a fully grade separated project and only consists of 7 stations, yet look at that price tag!

Something has to give. Eventually these projects are going to be so expensive that we can’t build anything.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
The cost of transit projects is getting out of hand. It’s not even a fully grade separated project and only consists of 7 stations, yet look at that price tag!

Something has to give. Eventually these projects are going to be so expensive that we can’t build anything.
There needs to be some sort of commission into why construction inflation for infrastructure has been so severe the last 10 years. We can't keep building if even the tiniest projects cost billions.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
There needs to be some sort of commission into why construction inflation for infrastructure has been so severe the last 10 years. We can't keep building if even the tiniest projects cost billions.
If we standardize LRT asnd stations across the country like others have done, that would have save a bunch of time and money. bu standardization i mean every single LRT station from Montreal, Toronto and Calgary would look identical and you couldn't tell which was from what city until you read the markings.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
If we standardize LRT asnd stations across the country like others have done, that would have save a bunch of time and money. bu standardization i mean every single LRT station from Montreal, Toronto and Calgary would look identical and you couldn't tell which was from what city until you read the markings.
This is how it is done in Japan, save for a few select key stations.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 12:55 PM

It doesn't matter if we could save billions. Jurisdiction is more important. No matter how minimal, federal interference cannot be tolerated, and the required provincial cooperation impossible.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
It doesn't matter if we could save billions. Jurisdiction is more important. No matter how minimal, federal interference cannot be tolerated, and the required provincial cooperation impossible.
I agree. One size fits all usually ends up being one size fits none.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 4:48 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post

Quote:
I agree this is very concerning.
I remember thinking during covid that prices would come down as contractors would be desperate for work but the opposite happened - and to the extreme. It almost makes one wonder if there is gouging going on by the contractors but the inflation seems to be largely driven by material availability and thus cost.

BTW - The Green Line Center Street Station was “deferred” (not cancelled) so they do plan to build it at some point . Apparently the projected number of users for the station were pretty low on opening day but are expected to grow in the future. I did read in an article (that I can’t find now) that they will do some kind of “prep work” for the Center Street Station as they are tunnelling.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 8:52 PM

I thought the Green Line was officially "under construction" since 2022? So what was already built, and how can they still change scope after construction started?

If they still haven't start on the tunnel yet (likely since they still able to reduce the tunnel scope), then there's no way they can complete on time in 2027 now?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 3:06 PM

Quote:
There absolutely needs to be an investigation. There is something very wrong with our system and we need to figure it out before these projects become completely out of reach. I was pretty floored when the estimated cost of the iON Stage 2 to Cambridge came in at an estimated cost of $4.6B when iON Stage 1 only cost ~$1.1B, adjusted for inflation.

I know iON Stage 2 has more elevated/grade-separated structures which would account for a higher cost than iON Stage 1, but I struggle to see how it could cost 4x as much.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
There absolutely needs to be an investigation. There is something very wrong with our system and we need to figure it out before these projects become completely out of reach. I was pretty floored when the estimated cost of the iON Stage 2 to Cambridge came in at an estimated cost of $4.6B when iON Stage 1 only cost ~$1.1B, adjusted for inflation.

I know iON Stage 2 has more elevated/grade-separated structures which would account for a higher cost than iON Stage 1, but I struggle to see how it could cost 4x as much.
The research has been done and it's well publicized, we know the reasons already but fail to take actions. one of these i mentioned before is standardizations, instead every project in Canada is an entirely new beast and everything has to be designed again from scratch. In China, cities have 9 plans plans/designs they can pick from and that is all that needed to be done, everything else follows the standard plan from that point forward.
for example Clagry could choose LRT level 2 and everything from the manufacturer, building materials, contractors, station design, is already done.
So much time and money is saved doing it this way

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 5:23 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
The research has been done and it's well publicized, we know the reasons already but fail to take actions. one of these i mentioned before is standardizations, instead every project in Canada is an entirely new beast and everything has to be designed again from scratch. In China, cities have 9 plans plans/designs they can pick from and that is all that needed to be done, everything else follows the standard plan from that point forward.
for example Clagry could choose LRT level 2 and everything from the manufacturer, building materials, contractors, station design, is already done.
So much time and money is saved doing it this way
I've heard that issue raised before and it was even discussed in an episode of RM transit. While I think it's applicable in many instances, for the most part it isn't that useful to Canada. China has so many cities in every size range that "only" having 9 plans to choose from really narrows things down from the dozens or hundreds of designs all those cities would otherwise need. But for us, we barely even have 9 cities large enough for urban rail to begin with. So if there were 9 designs it wouldn't narrow things down much. Yet if there were only say, two designs, that wouldn't be enough options to work well with the different sizes and needs of our cities. It comes down to the fact that standardization works well with markets of scale, but you need markets of a certain scale for it to apply.

Of course, we could just adopt all the designs and standards from another country. But the US - which is usually the go-to for such things - doesn't have such standardization itself even though it's probably large enough. So we'd be stuck adopting Chinese standards if it were to work, and that would be somewhat awkward from a political and economic perspective.

That said, there are definitely places with lower infrastructure costs that don't use the Chinese version of standardization. Spain is often cited as one of the Western countries with the lowest rail construction costs and highest rates of metro construction. The Madrid Metro for instance has a longer total route length than metro systems of Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver plus the Ottawa O-train combined. And the cities of Spain don't seem to be standardized with other cities.

It seems like a lot of the problem is the stop-start cycles. We don't build continuously and instead let the pressure build up until we're forced to built something to deal with demand. Then once it's finished, we just stop... sometimes for decades. So some of the people and companies in that industry basically leave or shut down operations and have to start everything back up again from scratch for the next project. Having to start everything from a complete stop is more difficult then continuing at a steady pace. Like in physics how static friction needs more force to overcome than sliding friction. People need to be recruited, hired, and trained from scratch, experts need to be brought in from elsewhere, new construction faculties created, and so forth.

And another issue I haven't heard discussed but could also be contributing is the crowding out effect. We've been in a construction boom for well over a decade meaning that the construction industry in most regions is already going full tilt. Highrises and metro systems seem like very different things so there will be some people and companies that are not cross compatible and therefore may leave when there's no metro construction. But there's also going to be areas of overlap such as the production and transport of concrete and the need for construction workers, inspectors, and structural engineers. But competition for labour, materials, and other things in limited supply also tends to increase prices.

Last edited by Nouvellecosse; Aug 5, 2024 at 7:08 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I've heard that issue raised before and it was even discussed in an episode of RM transit. While I think it's applicable in many instances, for the most part it isn't that useful to Canada. China has so many cities in every size range that "only" having 9 plans to choose from really narrows things down from the dozens or hundreds of designs all those cities would otherwise need. But for us, we barely even have 9 cities large enough for urban rail to begin with. So if there were 9 designs it wouldn't narrow things down much. Yet if there were only say, two designs, that wouldn't be enough options to work well with the different sizes and needs of our cities. It comes down to the fact that standardization works well with markets of scale, but you need markets of a certain scale for it to apply.

Of course, we could just adopt all the designs and standards from another country. But the US - which is usually the go-to for such things - doesn't have such standardization itself even though it's probably large enough. So we'd be stuck adopting Chinese standards if it were to work, and that would be somewhat awkward from a political and economic perspective.

That said, there are definitely places with lower infrastructure costs that don't use the Chinese version of standardization. Spain is often cited as one of the Western countries with the lowest rail construction costs and highest rates of metro construction. The Madrid Metro for instance has a longer total route length than metro systems of Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver plus the Ottawa O-train combined. And the cities of Spain don't seem to be standardized with other cities.

It seems like a lot of the problem is the stop-start cycles. We don't build continuously and instead let the pressure build up until we're forced to built something to deal with demand. Then once it's finished, we just stop... sometimes for decades. So some of the people and companies in that industry basically leave or shut down operations and have to start everything back up again from scratch for the next project. Having to start everything from a complete stop is more difficult then continuing at a steady pace. Like in physics how static friction needs more force to overcome than sliding friction. People need to be recruited, hired, and trained from scratch, experts need to be brought in from elsewhere, new construction faculties created, and so forth.

And another issue I haven't heard discussed but could also be contributing is the crowding out effect. We've been in a construction boom for well over a decade meaning that the construction industry in most regions is already going full tilt. Highrises and metro systems seem like very different things so there will be some people and companies that are not cross compatible and therefore may leave when there's no metro construction. But there's also going to be areas of overlap such as the production and transport of concrete and the need for construction workers, inspectors, and structural engineers. But competition for labour, materials, and other things in limited supply also tends to increase prices.
This is what standardization will fix, the plans are already there and you just need to follow them, no need to start all new, and if there is any doubt just go look at the other stations built with the same layouts.

as for how we can get this done i figure Transport Canada, Metrolink or CDPQ Infra could come up with DETAILED design standards and hope the rest of the country adopts them.

Last edited by Nite; Aug 5, 2024 at 8:11 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 1:28 AM

Related to cost issues...

In Toronto, a 2km bike path was announced that will cost $150 million.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Related to cost issues...

In Toronto, a 2km bike path was announced that will cost $150 million.
I remember the day when we can build 2km of fully grade-separated rapid transit for 150 million. This was not even 25 years ago I think...?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
I remember the day when we can build 2km of fully grade-separated rapid transit for 150 million. This was not even 25 years ago I think...?
The Evergreen Line, 11 KM long, fully grade separated, 2.2 KM long bored tunnel, remaining 8.8KM largely elevated, 6 stations (4 elevated, one built in a trench under a highway overpass), two stations integrated with two existing WCE stations, and the integration with Lougheed Station, opened in 2016, 1.4 billion dollars...

Something has gone very goofy over the last 10 years.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 4:43 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Yes I remember thinking back in 2015 when Green Line funding of $4.5B was announced - it seemed like a tremendous sum for an LRT line.
Today it doesn’t even buy you 10kms.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada