HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 12:00 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Helps make the claim when they show a nearly 2 decade old photo, that also avoids any views of the uptown skyline. That alone means I'll never click the link to give this obviously bias author any additional credit.
He mistook the Midtown (aka Uptown) skyline for Glendale. He repeats the error several times throughout the video. It seems like he came to Phoenix for a day and reached some superficial conclusions but never talked to anyone or even looked at a map.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 6:24 PM

City Nerd visited about a month ago and uploaded his thoughts on Phoenix.

Edit: Sorry about the link. I can’t pinpoint the issue.

Video Link

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Aug 1, 2024 at 3:43 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 4:00 AM
Skyriser

I was surprised by how nice and fair he was given how much he's crapped on the city before.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 11:43 AM
self-important urbanista

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57AQhVdq-9g&t=1s

Yes, he was fair and free of factual error, unlike many urbanist influencers -- although I don't know why he finds the street/avenue distinction so weird. Every city has its own conventions for naming and numbering streets. I don't see why Phoenix's approach is any less intuitive than those used elsewhere.

Last edited by exit2lef; Aug 1, 2024 at 12:10 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 3:43 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroD View Post

Fixed it for you. All you just need to add for the YouTube link is the video ID number after "v=" in the URL. In your video, that would be "57AQhVdq-9g". Took me a long time to figure this out as well.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 4:10 PM
self-important urbanista

Here's the live event with City Nerd and a few locals:

https://youtu.be/XsEhIKDfRYI?si=wPdR-85rc3Fnc07z

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Here's the live event with City Nerd and a few locals:

https://youtu.be/XsEhIKDfRYI?si=wPdR-85rc3Fnc07z
And here's his resulting video. Pretty fair protrayal--even noted the fact that energy costs in Phoenix are comparable to or less than wintery places like Minnesota, which is often lost on even sincere urbanists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57AQhVdq-9g&t=25s

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
And here's his resulting video. Pretty fair protrayal--even noted the fact that energy costs in Phoenix are comparable to or less than wintery places like Minnesota, which is often lost on even sincere urbanists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57AQhVdq-9g&t=25s
The disconnect about our climate is something I really can never understand.

Yes we have very very hot summers. Which simply require shade and water to safely navigate. We have mild nice weather for 2/3 arguably 3/4ths of the year.

Our weather is more pleasant for more of the year than almost anywhere in the USA. Every Urban northeastern or Northwestern city where walking is common and standard its not only much less pleasant for most of the year its LITERALLY more dangerous it is far easier to be killed by cold then killed by 105.

Even people that live here point to the handful of days a year over 110 as fi that means urban walking is completely impossible. Its insane.

and I mean insane, its completely divorced from reality.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 7:02 PM

Quote:

Video Link
“The city should lean into rock gardens and desert plants”

NO IT SHOULD NOT

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 7:25 PM

Quote:

Video Link
He is reckless in his views on how the city was planned...plus the criticism of street cleaning, with the street sweeper video, and then finding debris accidently on an ADA ramp...and constant criticism of our heat indicates his shallow approach for objective viewpoints. I don't care for his views personally. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 7:39 PM

Interesting video, nice pictures, glad to see it was posted.

I have never heard of City Nerd before, nor ever watched any of his videos, but my ears were bleeding after his insufferable voice/narration, and some of what he said. It appears he's just an entertainer and influencer, which I won't be entertained by and influenced by moving forward. But overall... good for the hobby of urbanism in Phoenix?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 8:11 PM
Modulator

I think his video was spot on when it came to the 7's which was a large chunk of his video.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 8:48 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by TllrSkyline-01 View Post
He is reckless in his views on how the city was planned...plus the criticism of street cleaning, with the street sweeper video, and then finding debris accidently on an ADA ramp...and constant criticism of our heat indicates his shallow approach for objective viewpoints. I don't care for his views personally. Thanks for sharing.
I have no idea what this wording means. Can you please clarify?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TllrSkyline-01 View Post

I’m thinking maybe you are being a wee bit sensitive. The heat is an important factor to urban planning and I think he is being more than fair considering he lives in Las Vegas and talks about how hot it is there and in the video he brings up that people unfairly talk about energy costs in Phoenix.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
The disconnect about our climate is something I really can never understand.

Yes we have very very hot summers. Which simply require shade and water to safely navigate. We have mild nice weather for 2/3 arguably 3/4ths of the year.

Our weather is more pleasant for more of the year than almost anywhere in the USA. Every Urban northeastern or Northwestern city where walking is common and standard its not only much less pleasant for most of the year its LITERALLY more dangerous it is far easier to be killed by cold then killed by 105.

Even people that live here point to the handful of days a year over 110 as fi that means urban walking is completely impossible. Its insane.

and I mean insane, its completely divorced from reality.

Not to nit-pic, but as someone who HATES summer here (I do work outdoors in construction supervision so there's that) but I LOVE October to May here and it's what keeps me living here plus family business.

Back to the nit-picking but we had 55 days over 110 last summer!

"July 2023 was a record-breaking month for Phoenix, with an average temperature above 100°F and temperatures reaching 115°F or higher on 17 days. The city also experienced 16 consecutive days without temperatures dropping below 90°F, which was more than double the previous record.
" and this summer is on track to be even hotter.

Summer isn't just a "handful" of days above 110 . . . it's not a long part of the year overall but it is HELLISHLY HOT. It's also not that dry, even if we don't get any actual rain.

Monthly weather reporting at www.Weather.com - I count 20 days above 110,
https://weather.com/weather/monthly/...bdc9abe9d351fd

That said, I don't find it an excuse to not have great pedestrian urban form - I'm counting down the days till the heat is over

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINphx View Post
Not to nit-pic, but as someone who HATES summer here (I do work outdoors in construction supervision so there's that) but I LOVE October to May here and it's what keeps me living here plus family business.

Back to the nit-picking but we had 55 days over 110 last summer!

"July 2023 was a record-breaking month for Phoenix, with an average temperature above 100°F and temperatures reaching 115°F or higher on 17 days. The city also experienced 16 consecutive days without temperatures dropping below 90°F, which was more than double the previous record.
" and this summer is on track to be even hotter.

Summer isn't just a "handful" of days above 110 . . . it's not a long part of the year overall but it is HELLISHLY HOT. It's also not that dry, even if we don't get any actual rain.

Monthly weather reporting at www.Weather.com - I count 20 days above 110,
https://weather.com/weather/monthly/...bdc9abe9d351fd

That said, I don't find it an excuse to not have great pedestrian urban form - I'm counting down the days till the heat is over
yes and that was a record breaking summer.

usually as you saw we usually get between 10 and 20 days over 110

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 4:40 PM

Quote:
yes and that was a record breaking summer.

usually as you saw we usually get between 10 and 20 days over 110
To be fair, it's not an anomaly and not just one record-breaking summer as of late.

We're on pace to have 3 of the last 5 years with 50+ 110-degree days; the hottest in recorded history. And 9 out of 10 years with the most 110+ degree days have been in the last 18 years. Before 2020, we had never had a summer with more than 33 110+ degree days.

https://www.weather.gov/images/psr/Heat/max110phx.png

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soled View Post
To be fair, it's not an anomaly and not just one record-breaking summer as of late.

We're on pace to have 3 of the last 5 years with 50+ 110-degree days; the hottest in recorded history. And 9 out of 10 years with the most 110+ degree days have been in the last 18 years. Before 2020, we had never had a summer with more than 33 110+ degree days.

https://www.weather.gov/images/psr/Heat/max110phx.png
To be fair, people walk to work when its 20 degrees. They can when its 110

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 11:12 PM

Quote:
To be fair, people walk to work when its 20 degrees. They can when its 110
Correct, however you can put more clothes on to keep you warm at 20 degrees, however there is only so much you can take off before it’s indecent exposure.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 10:32 AM

Can't stand the heat - get out of the kitchen.

We have choices. Don't like living in Phoenix - move.

I have a big smile on my face - reading the comments. Phoenix has always been hot. Growing up - we did a lot of swimming in the summer. The big defining moment for me: When I was 22 - living in Tucson - was a lifeguard for the City of Tucson for the summer. A big monsoon came through early in the afternoon - and dropped the temperature into the 80s. We closed the pool - and I decided to head up to Phoenix to go home for a few days. By the time I got to Phoenix (No Glenn Campbell song here!) it was late afternoon/ early evening. It was hot, dry, and 105! My parents moved to Phoenix in the early 1950s - I was born shortly afterwards. Maricopa County had roughly 350,000 people - not much more than what Yavapai County (Prescott) has today. My mother used to tell us that she would have to put on a sweater - at night in June!! Now, with some 5.5 million people (including Pinal County) - and completely covered with asphalt and concrete - morning, noon, and nights - hot! Tucson - at least in the early 80s - would cool down at night. 2 1/2 times higher than Phoenix - (2,600 feet - and beautiful mountain ranges). My asu side of the family would make fun of me living in Tucson. One time my brother and sister-in-law came down for a visit. I pointed out one night that Tucson was 78 and Phoenix was still 94. They were very quiet. Personally, during the day...I can't tell the difference between 105 and 115. Both temperatures will kill you.

As far as the development of downtown Phoenix (I'm not talking about the buildings up along Central to uptown - at Camelback). Along with you all - I would like to see new, interesting development. However, when I read comments like, "I wish they would build higher buildings..." Well, THEY are not your mommy and daddy. If you have a few millions - go for it. All considering, I think it is remarkable with the new growth down there. Someone posted on here not too long ago that the reason all the new development is out north, east, southeast - is because people live out there and why drive to downtown Phoenix. He's right. So, you have a solidly middle class that live out there. Not such a big risk to build office parks, retail, schools, etc. It is a risk downtown - when immediately to the south...and, east of 7th St. out to about 56th St. - south of McDowell and west of 7th Ave. ...the demographics are not very conducive to support the investment. developers develop for one reason - to make money.

That doesn't mean with all the growth that is being built down there - at the ground level - it can't be a vibrant city. Either the city of Phoenix or, a public - private investment - there can be new shading ...to come with it ...planting shade trees...misters, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest