HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 5:09 PM

$180,000 a unit seems to be the construction cost per unit in this area.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 10:48 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
$180,000 a unit seems to be the construction cost per unit in this area.
Is it just me or does that seem, "not that bad" for starting costs?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Is it just me or does that seem, "not that bad" for starting costs?
With 20% down, a 6.5% mortgage rate, and a 25 year amortization, you should only owe the bank about $1100/mo on a unit at that price.

At pre-pandemic rates of around 2% the mortgage payment would only be about $610/mo

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 8:32 PM
Cap the Cut!

It looks like the crane is going up for this one. As I was driving away, a truck with a boom length was arriving.

20231027_143000 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
It looks like the crane is going up for this one. As I was driving away, a truck with a boom length was arriving.
Looks like this is moving from the Cunard site to here.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post

20231027_143000 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr
Speaking of things in the area, does anyone know what the Bridge Commission is doing with the old liquor store building they bought and renovated some years ago? I know they made use of it for a while during the Big Lift project that that is long past. I will give them credit for sprucing up the exterior a bit. You can see a bit of it in the pic to the right of the CUA branch.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 10:13 PM

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 5:19 PM

This is one I’m looking forward to. The Dartmouth skyline will be forever changed as it rises.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 5:21 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
This is one I’m looking forward to. The Dartmouth skyline will be forever changed as it rises.
It is kind of funny. I repost some stuff in the Canada section but a lot of these towers are under-represented as far as renderings or above-ground construction go right now (for example 7177 Quinpool Road had almost no renderings). I think it'll be surprising how much of an impact they have in the next couple of years. Dartmouth is getting a new skyline.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:56 PM

Renderings are now posted on site and construction is above MacDonald Bridge level.

HalifaxDevelopments.ca (Photo by David Jackson)

HalifaxDevelopments.ca (Photo by David Jackson)

Last edited by Dmajackson; Yesterday at 2:17 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:58 PM

This is kind of exciting. It will totally change the feel of the bridge approach, and the surrounding neighbourhood.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:15 PM

It will be interesting to see if these shiny new buildings can change the character of that awful area or if they quickly revert to something awful as well. With the former hotel seemingly permanently destroyed by its use as a shelter, the unsafe Transit terminal, and the tent city nearby behind McD’s the area is very, very unpleasant now. Whether the tent city will last long once construction begins on the old shopping center remains unknown, but there is a municipal park down below Wyse not too far away which Sam Austin will likely sacrifice for their relocation if so. It will be interesting to see if these new towers act as a catalyst to clean up the neighborhood.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:40 PM

" More than 80 per cent of new condo investors in the Toronto region are bleeding cash as the rental income from their units is not covering the increasing mortgage and costs of owning the property, according to a new report issued on Thursday.

The losses are dissuading investors from buying new condo units, also known as preconstruction condos because they have not been built yet, the report said, contributing to the lowest sales in 27 years in the first half of this year.

The preconstruction condo market is “clearly in recessionary territory with conditions deteriorating to levels not seen in decades,” said the report authored by condo research firm Urbanation Inc. president Shaun Hildebrand and Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce deputy chief economist Benjamin Tal.

The report found that average monthly ownership costs for new condos in the Toronto and Hamilton region have climbed to $3,250 due to the higher cost of the newly built properties, borrowing and other expenses. That is 21 per cent higher than in 2022 and 54 per cent above 2021.

At the same time, the average monthly rental rates for a new condo in the region hit a record $2,700. But that was not enough to cover the new condo investor’s expenses.

Many more investors are paying out of pocket to cover the costs – a situation known as being “cash flow negative.”
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...sing-money-on/ July 25 2024
A smart reporter would be all over this and looking at the financing in HRM
When the feds finally decide to cut immigration what will happen to the Canadian housing market ?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth