HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
And that narrative is we have to expect these things, and find ways to prevent or mitigate the damage they will inevitably cause if we take no action. It's not just about the over-arching goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions, it's also frontline work that accepts fires like these will happen and wants to fund efforts to better prepare communities to protect themselves.
There is zero mitigation that gets done anymore. The government sits by with no forest management, and then scream climate change and want to steal more of your money to change the weather when they've done nothing to prevent this, and this is preventable. It's so exhausting dealing with this every year and listening to people with no understanding of fires just repeat the climate change narrative like it's the reason for this. Just buy an electric car and pay more taxes and the fires will stop, it's so stupid.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:24 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by VantageHD View Post
There is zero mitigation that gets done anymore. The government sits by with no forest management
If that's the case, then we don't need to fight each other. Let's combine our efforts and demand that. I believe in climate change, and I believe a lot of shit like is already baked in. It's going to get worse probably for a generation no matter what we do. So I am fully on board to support efforts to demand forest management.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:08 PM
Fake News

Quote:
It is the feds jurisdiction, so why wouldn't it be their fault? They did nothing about the beetle kill that is the reason this fire was so catastrophic. They made no mention of climate change because they're not in a brainwashed cult. The climate change fanatics are insufferable during this time of year. People lost their homes and you all you nut jobs care about is spinning a narrative.
This is like a patient who has a disease yelling at the doctor to fix their ailments (which result from the disease) but refusing to treat or acknowledge the disease itself.

Pine beetles never used to survive our winters. Why do you think they are spreading north outside their usual range?

Last edited by O-tacular; Yesterday at 6:26 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:13 PM
Fake News

Quote:
There is zero mitigation that gets done anymore. The government sits by with no forest management, and then scream climate change and want to steal more of your money to change the weather when they've done nothing to prevent this, and this is preventable. It's so exhausting dealing with this every year and listening to people with no understanding of fires just repeat the climate change narrative like it's the reason for this. Just buy an electric car and pay more taxes and the fires will stop, it's so stupid.
Like SHH said why can't we do both? No one is saying don't do anything to mitigate forest fires. We're just pointing out the obvious. Alberta has severe drought and just experienced an intense heatwave. Our provincial government cut forest fighting funding in this year's budget. They share the blame.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:41 PM

I don't buy the argument that now isn't the time to have discussions about the root causes here. Maybe actually havign a serious discussion about why in the last decade fire encoraching in communities seems to be a norm, or that many of these fires have come on the heels of unusual and historic heatwaves. Or how how rare smokey summer days were in Alberta - yet have increasingly become the norm. That doesn't mean that we should shove microphones in the face of evacuues and ask for their opinions of policy, but that we can collectively acknowledge that something is wrong and expect our elected officials to show they are taking this seriously.

It's also incorrect to suggest that nobody has done anything to mitigate the fires. I know a few folks that live in Jasper and the increase risk and mitigation efforts have been ongoing for years. Was at some campgrounds south of town earlier this year that had been nearly clearcut to manage risk, but it turns out when you have dry, windy conditions, flames hundreds of ft high moving at 15m/min at some point there is only so much we can do/could have done. Not to mention there is a large population that won't support any mitigation because they decry spending public money on absolutely anything whicle also denying there is any sort of larger problem causing the need for mitigation.

Not to mention, this is the only time that the issue is concrete enough that there is any will to talk about it. For the next month we'll hear that that now isn't the time to talk about it, yet once the dust settles and it's out of the news cycle there will no sense of urgency for a conversation because any sort of problem will be denied because hey - climate change isn't real and we can't fix it ourselves so why we we spend any time or money on it. Even acknowledging that the threat is real might be a impetus to actively be increasingly more proactive on management and mitigation. But instead our provincial government actively descredits, denies, and attacks anybody trying to have that conversation.

IMO opinion any hand wringing from the UCP on this is disengenuous. You don't get to subtly nod towards conspiracy theories like "leftists" intentionally starting fires to avoid acknowledging climate change and the associated risks then act shocked and dismayed when this happens...again.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:56 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post
I don't buy the argument that now isn't the time to have discussions about the root causes here. Maybe actually havign a serious discussion about why in the last decade fire encoraching in communities seems to be a norm, or that many of these fires have come on the heels of unusual and historic heatwaves. Or how how rare smokey summer days were in Alberta - yet have increasingly become the norm. That doesn't mean that we should shove microphones in the face of evacuues and ask for their opinions of policy, but that we can collectively acknowledge that something is wrong and expect our elected officials to show they are taking this seriously.

It's also incorrect to suggest that nobody has done anything to mitigate the fires. I know a few folks that live in Jasper and the increase risk and mitigation efforts have been ongoing for years. Was at some campgrounds south of town earlier this year that had been nearly clearcut to manage risk, but it turns out when you have dry, windy conditions, flames hundreds of ft high moving at 15m/min at some point there is only so much we can do/could have done. Not to mention there is a large population that won't support any mitigation because they decry spending public money on absolutely anything whicle also denying there is any sort of larger problem causing the need for mitigation.

Not to mention, this is the only time that the issue is concrete enough that there is any will to talk about it. For the next month we'll hear that that now isn't the time to talk about it, yet once the dust settles and it's out of the news cycle there will no sense of urgency for a conversation because any sort of problem will be denied because hey - climate change isn't real and we can't fix it ourselves so why we we spend any time or money on it. Even acknowledging that the threat is real might be a impetus to actively be increasingly more proactive on management and mitigation. But instead our provincial government actively descredits, denies, and attacks anybody trying to have that conversation.

IMO opinion any hand wringing from the UCP on this is disengenuous. You don't get to subtly nod towards conspiracy theories like "leftists" intentionally starting fires to avoid acknowledging climate change and the associated risks then act shocked and dismayed when this happens...again.
Danielle Smith’s tears seemed genuine, but I wonder if there’s a part of her deep down that knows that her irresponsible lobbying for the oil industry and attacks on any Climate policy only add fuel to the fire (pun intended). Yet she is willing to sacrifice Jasper and Banff and every summer season in the future for that sweet oil. Drill baby drill!!!

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Danielle Smith’s tears seemed genuine, but I wonder if there’s a part of her deep down that knows that her irresponsible lobbying for the oil industry and attacks on any Climate policy only add fuel to the fire (pun intended). Yet she is willing to sacrifice Jasper and Banff and every summer season in the future for that sweet oil. Drill baby drill!!!
I'm less convinced about her tears, but I'm also not convinced that is a worthwhile argument for any of us to have. It's too easy to get caught up in the performance of politics these days over the content. It doesn't make a huge difference either way. Regardless of the authenticity of the emotion, I think much of the message isn't authentic for the reasons you mentioned - it just doesn't align at all with the actions and policies of the governemnt.

Will be interesting to see how the aftermath plays out though. For better or worse, Slave Lake, Fort Mac and the many indigenous communities that have had fires in the last 10ish years do not hold the same place or value in the provincial pysche. The mountains are a bit of a weak spot for the UCP because it does seem to one area that many Albertans do actually value as a natural asset rather an opportunity for resource extraction.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Maybe we need to emulate the examples in places like Germanic Europe and turn a lot of these alpine lands into pastures rather than trying to encourage forestry. I'm always amazed how high up some of these farms go.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:39 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post
I'm less convinced about her tears, but I'm also not convinced that is a worthwhile argument for any of us to have. It's too easy to get caught up in the performance of politics these days over the content. It doesn't make a huge difference either way. Regardless of the authenticity of the emotion, I think much of the message isn't authentic for the reasons you mentioned - it just doesn't align at all with the actions and policies of the governemnt.

Will be interesting to see how the aftermath plays out though. For better or worse, Slave Lake, Fort Mac and the many indigenous communities that have had fires in the last 10ish years do not hold the same place or value in the provincial pysche. The mountains are a bit of a weak spot for the UCP because it does seem to one area that many Albertans do actually value as a natural asset rather an opportunity for resource extraction.
Yeah the fight for the Eastern slopes has been a weakness for the UCP. Many farmers and country music singers have joined forces with progressives to oppose mountain removal for coal mines. Meanwhile Smith’s cabinet has quietly encouraged Montem to re-apply under a new company name in Crowsnest Pass and grandfathered in 4 mines while “suspending” future ones.

Last edited by O-tacular; Yesterday at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
So just got flood warnings on my App. Athabasca flood warnings north of Westlock and In the upper Peace region,

All other basins are showing Water shortages including the North Sask. which is 175cms down from the normal 250cms at this time of year.
Flood warnings, drought, forest fires. When does the plague of locusts arrive?

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:56 PM

Perfect day at Frontenac PP. Sunny, mid 20s, some humidity but not too much.

Old Posted Today, 4:24 AM

Launched in Sixteen Mile Creek to fish and observe the damage from the flood. Pretty much back to normal. I'd say three or four docks were damaged for the homes. There are docks I recognize that were trashed from years past that are still trashed. I didn't venture into the marina side towards the lake but a kayaker told me everything looks normal. 10 days ago 30 boats broke from their slips. Wouldn't know it.

Old Posted Today, 4:39 AM
Go Chiefs!

28C with a humidex of 30 and sunny. Close to perfection. Just missing some humidity.

Low of 16C this morning.

The warmspot was Little Chicago, NWT at 32.8C. I really love that name. And it's really ''little'' because apparently population was 0.

Warmest low was Berens River, MB at 21.9C.

Old Posted Today, 5:45 AM

Sunny, warm, dry.

Friday's high at Vancouver Harbour was 22 C (24 C w/Humidex), the low was 13 C.

Fairview, Vancouver, July 26 '24, my pics

Old Posted Today, 3:18 PM
be nice to the crackheads

A sunny and warm day. Started out in Surrey, and ended up in Gastown.

Scroll ---------------->

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada