HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:21 PM

Quebec city's skyline hasn't changed in decades, and yet remarkably, it works!...the graduating heights of the towers and the topography of its landscape all help contribute to an aesthetically pleasing silhouette. I do wish however that perhaps one new glass tower was added.. Great pics!

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
Quebec city's skyline hasn't changed in decades, and yet remarkably, it works!...the graduating heights of the towers and the topography of its landscape all help contribute to an aesthetically pleasing silhouette. I do wish however that perhaps one new glass tower was added.. Great pics!
Thanks! I agree with you.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:28 PM
Look at me!

I absolutely love the QC skyline. Count me in as one who wishes it never changes. It's a glass tower free skyline and I hope it stays that way forever.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:43 PM

I have the impression that Quebec City would execute a glass tower well, maybe a counterpart to édifice Marie Guyart - similar height, maybe a tad taller or shorter, just to invigorate the skyline a bit with some new materiality. I'd stay away from something bold (i.e. Le Phare) and go with simple, refined and elegant.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I've never actually looked at the Quebec City skyline and said, "y'know, this would look better with a glass tower in the same view as the Château Frontenac and the Édifice Price...".

Never.

I can live with Le Concorde which isn't too bad a modernist incursion on the skyline. But I hate Marie Guyart (Complexe G).

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Edmonton has a decent amount of slab residential from the 60s and 70s outside the core. I always think that's more of an Ontario thing, but Edmonton and, well, Winnipeg, prove that it's common elsewhere.

Are those modern towers in the middle student res? How many of these towers are student res?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've never actually looked at the Quebec City skyline and said, "y'know, this would look better with a glass tower in the same view as the Château Frontenac and the Édifice Price...".

Never.

I can live with Le Concorde which isn't too bad a modernist incursion on the skyline. But I hate Marie Guyart (Complexe G).
How about a reclad of Complex G? Terrace de la Chaudière style?

Some many different eras are represented in the Quebec City skyline from the 1700s to the 1970s, but count me in as someone who thinks were missing one or two 20ish floor modern towers, but I would settle for a reclad of at least one of the 70s brutalist towers, preferably Complexe G because I'm actually fond of the three hotels.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Maybe (for Complexe G).

Le Concorde is one of my favourite modernist hotels in Canada.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Never.

I quite like brutalism and I'm a fan of Complexe G as well. It's very 3-dimensional, despite being monolithic. Very architectural.

I wouldn't want a skyline full of them, but I find Complexe G stands fairly proud, very much of its era.

Though, all things being equal, y'know what would have looked better in the same view as the Château Frontenac and Édifice Price? No modern towers.

Given that they didn't leave well enough alone, might as well continue the layering of eras and add something modern, albeit minimalist.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:12 PM
I am the law!

These 70s tower facades are bound to be close or even past end of life.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:03 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Edmonton has a decent amount of slab residential from the 60s and 70s outside the core. I always think that's more of an Ontario thing, but Edmonton and, well, Winnipeg, prove that it's common elsewhere.

Are those modern towers in the middle student res? How many of these towers are student res?
Edmonton, like Calgary BOOMED in the late 60s-80 and had dozens go up.

The white stripe one is geared towards students, the other is market.

The UofA has 4 major student 'rez' about 2 blocks to the left of this and some low-rise + townhouse Rez to the left in the background too.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:08 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Today, 12:55 AM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada