HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
That area was kind of isolated and seedy in the 1990s. Inglis up to around South Bland St. and around that square was marginal. It's very strange given that the areas it borders weren't like that.

There was a pretty low-rent strip club called the Lighthouse kitty corner to that Superstore, long gone now.
I remember that strip club. That area was also known for a lot of prostitution. It was more down towards Hollis street but you would see it on Barrington too. Specially in that park infront of the old train station. That area has changed a lot. I knew alot of kids that lived in that area between queen street and barrington and on inglis too. Those were my stomping grounds for a long time.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Definitely. The Niagara Escarpment and Bruce Trail are a little more than 1 km from what's traditionally been the "centre" of downtown (King & James streets). The waterfront parks are a little farther, but not by much. And if one is a fast walker capable of the distance, the trails and wetlands of the Royal Botanical Gardens begin 3-4 km away depending on which part of those lands one wants to access.

There are many old residential neighbourhoods adjacent to (and within) the defined downtown area... gentrified old homes interspersed with newer and tall buildings generally west and south, former working-class neighbourhoods generally to the east and north (with some of the most "income challenged" in the city for several kms eastward through the central lower city)

There was a Hamilton poster (Flar) who captured so many photos of these and other areas of the city. I haven't seen that person much here in the past couple of years though. The photo-essays and neighbourhood tours were fantastic. Quite a few are in this folder off the Hamilton sub-forum.
Thanks for the link - I know I’ve seen some great photos from Flar in the past.

Was just checking Flickr and there is this fantastic shot, has it been seen here before?

hamilton habitats by Jim Smith, on Flickr

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:04 AM
Ham-burgher

Probably. Looks like it is a couple of years old, based on what's been built in the meantime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
Was just checking Flickr and there is this fantastic shot, has it been seen here before?

hamilton habitats by Jim Smith, on Flickr

Old Posted Today, 3:48 AM

Old Posted Today, 4:14 PM

Echoes.. Echoe… Ech…!! Ok, hopefully you get the sound effects intention.

Great photos and nice variety as well. My favourite little house, or houses are these two to the right:

IMG_2798 by E Choes, on Flickr

And coming in second:

IMG_2805 by E Choes, on Flickr

Old Posted Today, 4:44 PM

Thanks zoomer. Those 2 little houses struck me as something out of a storybook. I think they're perfect.

Old Posted Today, 4:57 PM

/\ 100% agree. I’d love to see more of these incorporated into suburbs as not every new development needs to be the 2 car garage large cookie cutter design or cramped townhouses with no yard. If there is good transit these still make pretty efficient use of land and I’d like to think would be fairly affordable to build and make good starter or retirement houses.

And I know these are inner city homes (and please DO NOT TELL ME THE PRICE please, lol as I’m not moving, lol) and are unlikely to be built again in the future in the same neighbourhood, assuming Saskatoon is like most Canadian cities at this point.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada