HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 12:08 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
Hamilton's terminal looks like a temporary building.
Yep. Despite small periodic expansions and improvements (which have often consisted of fresh paint) over the decades, it's largely the one built in the mid-1980s when the city had an MP who carried some clout.

For now the business case for doing anything big with the terminal will remain poor, unless other passenger airlines can be coaxed to fly here. And airport investments will probably go toward improving freight operations.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Y And airport investments will probably go toward improving freight operations.
Maybe some bus shelters out front for AC lol

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 5:29 PM
Ham-burgher

It would be funny if this wasn't touted as a business that pumps millions of dollars into the local economy and supports thousands of jobs (and it does, though the numbers posted by YHM do need to be taken in context).

On a personal level, while I hope Air Canada's feeble attempt at "serving" the market with a bus to Pearson fails for them, for the airport it may be very important.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 6:20 PM

I don't get why the airport authority even wants the airport bus, unless they basically only care about cargo. Which from a profitability standpoint may make sense.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 6:47 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
I don't get why the airport authority even wants the airport bus, unless they basically only care about cargo. Which from a profitability standpoint may make sense.
Given that AC wasn't serving the airport, it's a bonus.

At the time that decision was made, airport management probably didn't expect the schedule to dry up as it has. EDIT: though they should have been reading the tea leaves.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Jun 14, 2024 at 7:04 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 9:36 PM

Well, I just booked flights on Play for September, so I'm assuming they're going to stop service any day now...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 1:54 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Well, I just booked flights on Play for September, so I'm assuming they're going to stop service any day now...
We have a target for blame, now?

Unless Pearson or someone else offers them a gem of a deal that changes their local home-base, I think whatever happens with Play will be about Play's ability to operate.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post
Westjet's Transborder is doing very well, much better than swoops. The kicker is that the flights on WS are noticeably more expensive too.

February Stats

Hamilton-Tampa: 91% [4136/4536]
Hamilton-Orlando: 92.7% [4558/4914]

If we see any reduction in transborder service next year, the blame has to be put on the airport authority. As of now, both routes are only loaded as a single weekly flight (down from 2-3x weekly), but it's still way to early for it to be finalized. The way the flights are scheduled right now, we'll continue to have an ex-swoop aircraft based in YHM next winter, so I'm interested to see how WS will schedule YHM alongside sunwing.
March Stats

Hamilton-Tampa: 95.4% [4894/5127]
Hamilton-Orlando: 92.2% [4533/4914]

Honestly surprised how well TPA is doing from YHM. My above statement stands, YHM can easily handle 2x weekly to both florida destinations. As of now, we are only scheduled 1x weekly each, its on the airport authority if it remains like this. I wouldn't be shocked if WS doesn't re-add this past seasons frequency due to (a) Westjets hate for YHM and (b) the poor economy right now.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 8:33 PM

Westjet cans Orlando and Tampa.

We now only have 5x weekly YYC service this winter on WS.

Play frequency drops to 4x weekly in winter (boosted during holidays). This was expected.

Still waiting for the finalized Sunwing schedule.

What a terrible decline.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 8:39 PM

That is indeed terrible, with high load factors as previously noted, who will step up. Come on Porter, fill the gap!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 2:50 AM
Ham-burgher

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 8:37 PM

HSR will be reducing its route 20 A-Line express service to limited schedule and removing the weekend service to Hamilton Airport beginning in September and most of All day A-Line service will be ending at Aeropark Blvd.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 11:06 PM
Ham-burgher

This is short-sighted, though I can understand why the HSR would do that with the massive loss in passenger service. But what about the employees at/around the airport and the residents in Mount Hope village? Are they going to be expected to use the trans-cab? Amazon and the logistics firms near it won't suffer as much, but I guess the likes of CargoJet, DHL, UPS and KF Aerospace are S.O.L.

How many of those types of people use transit now to get to/from the city? Was it used by airline passengers? And how does this mesh with the HSR's plan to change its network to support LRT service?

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Jul 25, 2024 at 11:17 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 11:13 PM
Hammer'd

I've noticed that the route 20 has been really busy since the Amazon depot opened but I doubt anyone really stays on it past there, wouldn't make sense to keep running all those empty buses up to the airport when nobody is using it. Even when the airport did have more flights I don't think it was very well used, most people probably still just take Ubers or Taxi's.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 11:19 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I've noticed that the route 20 has been really busy since the Amazon depot opened but I doubt anyone really stays on it past there, wouldn't make sense to keep running all those empty buses up to the airport when nobody is using it. Even when the airport did have more flights I don't think it was very well used, most people probably still just take Ubers or Taxi's.
Thanks! With more people expected to be working in the AEGD, I wonder if this is a temporary measure and further service changes will happen in the future. There's also that on/off again residential development plan for Twenty Road to consider in the future, and the one on the east side of Hwy 6 Upper James that hasn't advanced in a while (or at least there's been no news about it; both are probably caught up in the Greenbelt debate?).

I've taken a couple weeks off with no travel plans. A while ago I thought it would be interesting to take some bus routes I've never used, just for fun (and because when driving I can't look around as much). So this reminds me about that option for day tripping.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Jul 25, 2024 at 11:35 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post

Still waiting for the finalized Sunwing schedule.
Technically the Sunwing schedule was formally announced along with the WS one:

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...e--enhancing-c

Quote:
Together as the WestJet Group, WestJet and Sunwing Airlines will provide Canadians with access to 63 transborder and sun destinations this winter
Unsure if the schedule was loaded though.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure