HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 3:21 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale C View Post
Nobody's mentioned "Blues Clues", "Big Comfy Couch"
I actually don’t mind Josh. It makes me giggle every time he says something like “Blue Skidooed in that trunk” or whereever. Sounds like he’s saying she shit somewhere.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashe View Post
Mine:
Video Link
Oh man! I don't remember this one but I just laughed at my desk watching it.

Cookie Monster doesn't disappoint.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Cookie Monster doesn't disappoint.
The old ones are the best.
Video Link

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 2:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Video Link

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 2:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale C View Post
Nobody's mentioned "Blues Clues", "Big Comfy Couch"
Big Comfy Couch....and that really weird segment of the host girl spreading her legs on the clock (complete with farting noises)

Video Link

Old Posted Today, 1:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

It may seem like it's centuries away for the younger dads on here, but lately I've been thinking about something that's really come back almost all of a sudden in my life: TIME.

Time for yourself.

Time to do the stuff you never seemed to get to.

Time to spend just with your spouse (if you have one).

Time to reconnect with old friends.

Time to devote to quality time with aging parents while you still can.

It's coming sooner than you think, guys!

Old Posted Today, 1:57 PM
The Vomit Bag.

from my childhood, back in the black-and-white, rabbit-ears TV days
Video Link

Video Link

hilarious mocking
Video Link

Old Posted Today, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It may seem like it's centuries away for the younger dads on here, but lately I've been thinking about something that's really come back almost all of a sudden in my life: TIME.
Young adulthood: Time and health, but no money.
Middle age: Money and health, but no time.
Elderly: Time and money, but no health.

I'm learning you have to use the two that you have at that moment to your advantage, sometimes to compensate for the one you're missing. It'll be hard to buy health, though.

Old Posted Today, 2:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Young adulthood: Time and health, but no money.
Middle age: Money and health, but no time.
Elderly: Time and money, but no health.

I'm learning you have to use the two that you have at that moment to your advantage, sometimes to compensate for the one you're missing. It'll be hard to buy health, though.
Most people are fortunate enough for a sweet spot to exist from sometime in their 50s until they are about 70 (maybe 75 if they're lucky) and where health isn't too much of an issue.

The trick is to take advantage of it ASAP as it can expire at any time especially when you're older.

Though almost no one in my circle of friends is retired yet, I've been spending a lot of time talking to people who are already retired recently. It's very enlightening.

Old Posted Today, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Most people are fortunate enough for a sweet spot to exist from sometime in their 50s until they are about 70 (maybe 75 if they're lucky) and where health isn't too much of an issue.

The trick is to take advantage of it ASAP as it can expire at any time especially when you're older.

Though almost no one in my circle of friends is retired yet, I've been spending a lot of time talking to people who are already retired recently. It's very enlightening.
Should be able to get to 80 healthy these days.

What are the recently retired saying? It seems sad when people realize working isn't as bad as they thought it was.

Old Posted Today, 2:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Should be able to get to 80 healthy these days.

What are the recently retired saying? It seems sad when people realize working isn't as bad as they thought it was.
I literally know ZERO retired people who are still nostalgic for their old jobs.

Swear to God.

Old Posted Today, 3:03 PM

Quote:
I literally know ZERO retired people who are still nostalgic for their old jobs. Swear to God.
In a couple of years I should stagger across the line. I still plan to work, but less, and likely in a completely different field with more tangible feel-good by the end of each day. I'll let you know if I long for the pressure-cooker. (I suspect I won't)

Old Posted Today, 3:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Still working, and plan to continue until I'm 69.

I guess that gives me one good year to do my travelling........

Old Posted Today, 4:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I literally know ZERO retired people who are still nostalgic for their old jobs.

Swear to God.
Depends on what people do.

A lot of actors never retire. Same with small business owners. Professionals often have extended work careers (especially physicians). Ditto for farmers and fishers. Basically, most jobs where people have agency and some control over their daily lives. Jobs involving problem solving and critical thinking.

These people find their jobs intellectually challenging and rewarding. It becomes a part of who they are. Their life is their job. You can't separate them.

Mind you, most people involved in these sort of occupations also are self employed, and do not have pensions and benefits. This also factors into any decision on your ability to retire.

I can understand why a federal civil service clerk in a dead end job is counting the days to retirement. I mean, what is there to look forward to. But, if your job is interesting, entertaining and challenging; if you don't know what you will be encountering on a daily basis; and if you job is rewarding and you know you are performing a valuable service, then why would you want to retire???

Old Posted Today, 4:40 PM

I'm still in my 30s but I eventually plan to transition to rental income for my retirement fund. Storage units, commercial and higher-end residential. With some consulting/coaching on the side as well.

Old Posted Today, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Depends on what people do.

A lot of actors never retire. Same with small business owners. Professionals often have extended work careers (especially physicians). Ditto for farmers and fishers. Basically, most jobs where people have agency and some control over their daily lives. Jobs involving problem solving and critical thinking.

These people find their jobs intellectually challenging and rewarding. It becomes a part of who they are. Their life is their job. You can't separate them.

Mind you, most people involved in these sort of occupations also are self employed, and do not have pensions and benefits. This also factors into any decision on your ability to retire.

I can understand why a federal civil service clerk in a dead end job is counting the days to retirement. I mean, what is there to look forward to. But, if your job is interesting, entertaining and challenging; if you don't know what you will be encountering on a daily basis; and if you job is rewarding and you know you are performing a valuable service, then why would you want to retire???
Yes and living in Ottawa I know a ton of civil servants who meet your latter criteria. I think mid thirities there is a lot of thoughts of FIRE or retiring early and retiring at 40 honestly makes more sense to me than 55. It feels like getting out in time for a second life or working till 70 both make sense. If you are a physician it's kind of crazy to retire after only working 15 years of working but I know a few talking like that and they like their jobs. I'd argue that's a result of being over-paid. Though in the end once they settle in to a more expensive lifestyle I am sure thoughts of quiting with only $3 million in the corp will go away. Parenting also gives you motivation to build that generational wealth or at least save enough to let them graduate debt free and get in the housing market which is basically the kind of $ we used to call generational wealth.

Old Posted Today, 5:19 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Quote:
Big Comfy Couch....and that really weird segment of the host girl spreading her legs on the clock (complete with farting noises)

Video Link

She married Steve from Blues Clues irl.

Old Posted Today, 5:24 PM
Fake News

Quote:

Time for yourself.

Time to do the stuff you never seemed to get to.

Time to spend just with your spouse (if you have one).

Time to reconnect with old friends.

Time to devote to quality time with aging parents while you still can.

It's coming sooner than you think, guys!
I can't even find time to take a shit. There is at least more time at night now that the boys are sleeping in the same room together. Having at least one room in the house as a sanctuary is nice. I really can't imagine the day where I have time to go out with friends. I can't even maintain current ones.

Old Posted Today, 5:27 PM
Fake News

Quote:
from my childhood, back in the black-and-white, rabbit-ears TV days
Video Link

Video Link

hilarious mocking
Video Link
I grew up with those as well. I tried to show my kids Mr. Rogers (which they endured watching one time) but he's been replaced by Daniel Tiger now and that's what they're used to. They occasionally will watch Sesame Street.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada