HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Le Puy du Fou is awesome!

Yeah, but too right-wing for the French Parisian establishment, supposedly.

They are opening a historical park in Shanghai. It's quite a feat. There was a long article about in the (English or French? can't remember) press recently. They had to battle with the Chinese central authorities for years to obtain all the authorizations, review all the history that will be covered, the shows, etc. The Chinese authorities were very very particular, as you can imagine, but Le Puy du Fou succeeded against all odds. The journalist was quite impressed (so it must have been an English article I suppose).

The Chinese like Le Puy du Fou a lot (at least those who have traveled to Europe), so they are eagerly waiting for it (plus it will be the first time since 1949 the history of 1920s Shanghai will be talked about and presented publicly in China).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 12:53 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
Yeah, but too right-wing for the French Parisian establishment, supposedly.
Created by De Villiers, right?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 1:03 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

I still get chills when I hear Beethoven's Symphonie
Pastorale which reminds me of the Orgues du Feu show.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Created by De Villiers, right?
Yeah, that's the issue. But beyond de Villiers, it's the fact they proudly present the Christian past of France, crusaders and all, that irks the woke left-wing artsy milieu of the Paris establishment.

Anyway, the Chinese have no such qualms. Here is the poster of their new historical park in Shanghai:

It's going to be massive from what I've heard. But due to opposition from some conservative Communist quarters, they had to agree to make it a closed park, and not an outdoor park as was originally planned. "Cachez ce sein que je ne saurais voir, etc".

I wonder how long they'll be allowed to operate in China though. The Communist hardliners won't like it if it becomes very popular...

PS: If Marine Le Pen had been president of France, probably someone from Le Puy du Fou would have been entrusted with the Paris Olympic games opening ceremony. It would have been a very different show for sure! More spectacular and less "preachy".

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 1:11 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

It was really cool. We stayed here, over the water.

https://www.google.com/search?client...h=700&dpr=2.81

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 1:18 AM

Quote:
I still get chills when I hear Beethoven's Symphonie
Pastorale which reminds me of the Orgues du Feu show.
Personally I'd recommend the Grands Jeux Romains of Nïmes. I took my parents there a few years ago. It takes place only once a year in May. It's spectacular! And unlike Le Puy du Fou, it's recreated in some real 2000 year old Roman arenas, the largest entirely preserved Roman areas of Antiquity. So it feels real (whereas I don't know whether I would really buy the whole Puy du Fou thing, since it's entirely staged in artificial decors).

Video Link

Of course it's not 100% like watching gladiators 2000 years ago, but it's the closest you'll ever experience to actually being there 2000 years ago. The most impressive part of course is being part of the huge crowd entering the arenas via the same stairs and corridors used by the Romans 2000 years ago. It gives you a 3-D sense of how it must have been, and this is not a built-up decor, but the stones are really 2000 year old and the Romans walked where you walk and sat where you sit.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 1:33 AM
Mooderator

This is the New Brisavoine and Acajack channel now.

Have fun.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Personally I'd recommend the Grands Jeux Romains of Nïmes. I took my parents there a few years ago. It takes place only once a year in May. It's spectacular! And unlike Le Puy du Fou, it's recreated in some real 2000 year old Roman arenas, the largest entirely preserved Roman areas of Antiquity. So it feels real (whereas I don't know whether I would really buy the whole Puy du Fou thing, since it's entirely staged in artificial decors).

Video Link

Of course it's not 100% like watching gladiators 2000 years ago, but it's the closest you'll ever experience to actually being there 2000 years ago. The most impressive part of course is being part of the huge crowd entering the arenas via the same stairs and corridors used by the Romans 2000 years ago. It gives you a 3-D sense of how it must have been, and this is not a built-up decor, but the stones are really 2000 year old and the Romans walked where you walk and sat where you sit.
Wow. You think it sells out early in advance? I’m due for a visit to overseas relatives, and this is just too awesome to not be on my to-do list.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 3:02 AM

Quote:
I suppose there will be a few French singers here and there, but in minor roles, and not displayed prominently the way Aya Nakamura, Céline Dion or Lady Gaga will be displayed. Yet Juliette Armanet (above) could make as great a performance as Céline Dion in the 1996 Atlanta games if only they had thought of her.
It’s said that Gaga and Dion will sing La Vie en Rose together, so that’s one song. Gaga has performed it often in the past.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
It’s said that Gaga and Dion will sing La Vie en Rose together, so that’s one song. Gaga has performed it often in the past.
A cliché for North Americans. It's just designed for a US audience. Nobody in France listens to that song anymore or thinks about it.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Wow. You think it sells out early in advance? I’m due for a visit to overseas relatives, and this is just too awesome to not be on my to-do list.
The year we went I think I bought the tickets just a week or two in advance. But maybe it's more in demand now, I don't know. I would check a month before if I were you. There were few tickets left, so we were seated almost in the uppermost row of the arena, but it wasn't a bad thing because you could see the entire crowd, so it made it more spectacular.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 11:32 AM

Quote:
A cliché for North Americans. It's just designed for a US audience. Nobody in France listens to that song anymore or thinks about it.
Well, most American's don't spend a lot of time listening to "Rhapsody in Blue", but by having it performed on 84 grand pianos by pianists in white tales, the LA '84 ceremony transformed it into a stirring moment of American excess and Hollywoodland glamour.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Well, most American's don't spend a lot of time listening to "Rhapsody in Blue", but by having it performed on 84 grand pianos by pianists in white tales, the LA '84 ceremony transformed it into a stirring moment of American excess and Hollywoodland glamour.
Rhapsody in Blue is not a cliché the way La vie en rose is. If you don't understand it then perhaps you too share that cliché image of France?

How do you think people in a Latin American country would react if their organizers invited a US singer to sing "Que sera, sera" at the opening ceremony of their Olympic Games? Or some other cliché 'Latino' song from almost 100 years ago.

What's next? French cancan? Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ? Les petites femmes de Paris ?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Rhapsody in Blue is not a cliché the way La vie en rose is. If you don't understand it then perhaps you too share that cliché image of France?

How do you think people in a Latin American country would react if their organizers invited a US singer to sing "Que sera, sera" at the opening ceremony of their Olympic Games? Or some other cliché 'Latino' song from almost 100 years ago.

What's next? French cancan? Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ? Les petites femmes de Paris ?
How could I forget the cancan dancers? I'll add them to my mental picture of dancing baguettes, croisants, and wedges of cheese.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 12:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
I've heard that Céline will sing L'Hymne à l'amour, which I believe is her favourite Piaf song. Gaga will sing La Vie en rose.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 12:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Personally I'd go for Je t'aime, mon non plus.

It does have an athletic theme of sorts.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I've heard that Céline will sing L'Hymne à l'amour, which I believe is her favourite Piaf song.
Yet more clichés... (sigh)

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 12:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Personally I don't mind these types of things.

I find it pretty cool when Mexican fans at the World Cup all sing Cielito Lindo, or Australian fans all sing Waltzing Matilda or Down Under.

Perhaps it's because Canada doesn't really have any of this stuff. It's human nature to envy what you don't have.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 12:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
This is the New Brisavoine and Acajack channel now.

Have fun.
Should we start posting memes of politicians from the wrong side and other undesirables with shit coming out of their mouths in order to make it fit in better with the SSP ethos?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Perhaps it's because Canada doesn't really have any of this stuff. It's human nature to envy what you don't have.
It might be regional, but you can get a singalong started with "Barrett's Privateers" in a lot of Maritime province pubs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada