HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Today, 2:18 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
Yes, first responders evacuated hours ago. What an incredible tragedy. One of the great destinations in Canada and a place that I have core memories of stretching back decades to the first earliest summers that I can recollect.
It's terrible, considering this was not even considered a particularly bad year for weather and fires. Not as iconic, but Labrador City also evacuated 9,000 people a few weeks ago, but escaped the fire.

Old Posted Today, 2:23 AM
Community Guy

There are photos of Maligne Lodge burning and now some boundary town buildings

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Today, 2:55 AM

Well shit. Wasn't expecting to hear that. Fort Mac I think was the most significant in recent memory to burn. Couldn't tell you anything about Lytton, but it was a pretty big story last year. Hope this isn't too bad, but damn, this is big news.

Old Posted Today, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Today should be the 8th day in a row above 30 in Calgary, something that has only happened a couple times ever. The smoke is getting gross, so it will temper the heat a bit at least.
It’s only ever happened one other time in 1917. The record is 8 straight days of 30C so it’s been tied this year. Doesn’t look like we will break it as tomorrow looks to be cooler.

Old Posted Today, 3:08 AM

Lytton was already three years ago, time goes by so fast. Last year was Kelowna.

Every year I really hope these events are the catalyst for governments to take off season controlled burns and bush clearing more seriously, along with enacting proper urban designs for reduced risk to homes and businesses (building in fire prone forests ecosystems should be treated just as seriously as building on floodplains for disaster prevention / reduction) but this sadly never seems to happen.

For example, Lytton was horribly incorporated into its setting for the event of a forest fire. Pine trees and brush right up to and surrounding buildings. Naturally, before fire suppression, any given point in the area surrounding Lytton would burn every 10 to 20 years for context.

For Jasper, I believe their fire cycle is more around every 50 to 75 years for a given spot.

Old Posted Today, 3:43 AM

Wow, that long already? And I forgot part of Kelowna burned. As in structures in town and not just the surrounding vegetation. I thought it was just evacuated as a precaution.

Old Posted Today, 4:33 AM
Go Chiefs!

Did not expect the last page or so to be a comparison of me vs Denscity. Oh well. I generally do not have any issue with Denscity, I simply need to correct him when he is wrong. I pride myself in posting information that is correct and precise (mainly data lol). We're all homers to various degrees towards our city/region so that is fair play.

28C with a humidex of 35 and sunny until early afternoon. It then clouded up and we had some thunderstorm. Weak to moderate intensity.

Low of 18C this morning.

The warmspot was Coronach, SK at 41.2C. The intense heat continues having moved from BC to Alberta, Saskatchewan.

Warmest low was Point Petre, ON at 22.0C.

Those fires in Jasper are awful. Thankfully there is rain coming tomorrow but for some buildings, it will be too late.

Old Posted Today, 4:37 AM

Yeah, the real tragedy is how the rebuilding of the town hasn't progressed at all.

As for Kelowna, I think all the structural loss was on the west side of the lake. The fire did jump the lake but only forested spots burned on the east side (Kelowna proper).

Old Posted Today, 5:04 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yesterday a fire exploded 22miles from by the reserve water bombers came put it out today it flaired back up and now raging and my town is smoked out like crazy and looking at forcast for tomarrow lightning storm :S were so dry atm gues its my turn for chaos

Old Posted Today, 5:06 AM
Midtowner since 2K

That's awful to hear. Imay have been to these places, but they're a definitive loss for the area and wider region.

Old Posted Today, 5:59 AM

Another warm and dry day with a mix of sun and cloud.

Wednesday's high at Vancouver Harbour was 24 C (27 C w/Humidex), the low was a refreshing 15 C.

Downtown Vancouver, July 24 '24, my pics

Old Posted Today, 6:36 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Today, we had more rain in the city, and more localized flooding. We hit 26C at 3, and after that time, I tried to visit the Brickworks after running errands downtown, but I was told the trails were closed off, and for good reason...theres been pooling not only outside as I photographed below, but also inside some parts of their facilities.
I scampered up a hill by an old railway (now abandoned), and took some photos of the encroaching naturalization of this railway span. Both native and invasive species are flourishing here.
7,24 by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr
GO by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr
OW by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr
Sumac by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr
Mirage by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr
Nature as We Know it by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Today, 6:47 AM

The shot of the railroad is great. But someone must still be trimming / beating the bush back to keep a trail down the middle of the tracks?

Old Posted Today, 7:04 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Thanks. Honestly, I'm not sure, but I guess itd have to be. The railway is completely overwhelmed north of here with plants, but only in this section is it fairly clear in the middle. I want to say part of the reason is the soil is just compacted or shallower because of the railway ties and the underlying gravel underneath, but I don't know for a fact how that path is so clear in the very middle.

As a point of comparison, this is 4 years ago (taken on June 9th, 2020)
LAte Spring, 2020 by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr
And the same stretch, yesterday:
Railway to Nowhere by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr.

This particular area is the most 'bare' for the abandoned stretch of railway, as the rest gets increasingly overrun with plants, notably now DSV (dog strangling vine) as you go north.

Old Posted Today, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
yesterday a fire exploded 22miles from by the reserve water bombers came put it out today it flaired back up and now raging and my town is smoked out like crazy and looking at forcast for tomarrow lightning storm :S were so dry atm gues its my turn for chaos
Completekyvsifderent situation in southern Manitoba where grounds conditions have been saturated for well over a year.

Jasper is one of my favourite places in the world. I holiday there whenever I can. Just terrible news for the forests and the town. Just another indicator of climate change being more than a bogeyman for far right-wing climate deniers.

Old Posted Today, 12:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
Today, we had more rain in the city, and more localized flooding. We hit 26C at 3, and after that time, I tried to visit the Brickworks after running errands downtown, but I was told the trails were closed off, and for good reason...theres been pooling not only outside as I photographed below, but also inside some parts of their facilities.
r
This is the second time in a few weeks that heavy rains have flooded roads and buildings in Toronto. Are people starting to get hot under the collar about this?

Old Posted Today, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Thanks so much, OldDartmouthMark. My parents ended up finding the same information, and now have someone looking at their house today for a possible installation.

This summer was the straw that broke the camel's back. Even my dad is looking for some kind of reprieve from the heat.
Awesome! I’m glad they will get some relief!

Old Posted Today, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I have a few groups of Cardinals on my street in Aylmer. It seems like there are more here than there were when I moved into the place in 2007.

"Pew Pew Pew" all damn day.
LOL

I think their calls are cute, actually. I like the one that sounds like they are saying “birdie birdie birdie”…

Old Posted Today, 1:11 PM

It was twice in 8 days. This time I was actually Downtown at the office and it rained for at least 45 minutes. We were looking out and monitoring things in case we wanted to leave early. But could see clearer skies in the distance. At one point it was a downpour for 15+ minutes.

I come home expecting that my lawn would be too wet to mow, but turns out it didn't rain.

Also did some yard work. In this yellow bush a long stem or vine started to grow out of it. Figured it was a weed. I mowed over it twice but we were curious what it would turn into. My wife said eff it. It's just a weed. Just pull it out. Turns out it was potatoes. Like three months ago she threw potato peels in there.

We started to get into baked potatoes again and had it twice in the past month. Contemplated eating these but they had bite marks so in the yard waste bag they went.

Old Posted Today, 1:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

22C (humidex 26) and partly cloudy in Moncton at 10 AM.

A few showers tonight and tomorrow, but negligible accumulation. The rest of the long range is pure sunshine with warmer than average temperatures. Moncton is starting to get pretty dry. Not too uncommon. We often have a period of drought from late July to mid August.

Terrible news about Jasper. I've been there several times, and, in some ways, prefer it over Banff (less crowded and somewhat more authentic). My sons still talk about "Jasper Pizza", where we ate one time after a long road trip to the town from Drumheller on vacation.

#Pray for Jasper.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada