HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do we want to explore possible move?
Yes, we'd like to explore a possible move 30 66.67%
No, we want to stick with what's familiar 6 13.33%
Stick to SSP, but confirm plan B EAA 9 20.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
The other site needs a couple of things to really take off I think. More breaking news, and adding/continuing/contributing to some of the more conversational non-building threads about infrastructure, the economy, politics, etc. The building threads are doing quite well, and as a frequent media contributor it's a night and day experience for me when posting.

I think getting the map and database together would also help, I just haven't had a whole lot of time to do it because each project takes around 30-40 minutes to properly add. It WILL come though when work slows down and I have time.

I visit both sites several times a day, but I enjoy using and contributing to the other one so much more.
I can try to help you, but it's a bit busy for me for the next few weeks, I'll have more free time after that. I for one have supported the move and I'm usually over there. If you need help with any moderating/staff member-ing at Skyrise Harley, let me know, you and J.OT13 are doing a great job so far.

Harley is right, though, we are a bit quiet on the other threads but the building threads are doing good. If we could convince the airplane friends to come over, we'd have another area that's fairly active.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 2:40 PM

It might be best to migrate but we will lose contributors in the process. It already appears to be a community in decline.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 2:58 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Just to pile on... No issues whatsoever while using uBlock Origin in Firefox.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
It might be best to migrate but we will lose contributors in the process. It already appears to be a community in decline.
We did gain some new contributors who didn't like the old site.. so that may be something to consider.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 10:10 PM

There is an open invitation for Rocketphish to be our third mod over there.

I think the other site has better potential for future growth for three reasons: modern interface, local image server, and a very supportive and responsive ownership.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:49 AM

I’ve started to use both, but still mainly use and prefer SSP. Can I just make one comment about SRC? The titles are ass. No offence, but I don’t give a hoot about having the developer/architect/whoever in the title, and the lack of an address makes it very difficult to both quickly mentally locate where something is, and also to dig into it further/quickly google maps the site.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanforest View Post
I’ve started to use both, but still mainly use and prefer SSP. Can I just make one comment about SRC? The titles are ass. No offence, but I don’t give a hoot about having the developer/architect/whoever in the title, and the lack of an address makes it very difficult to both quickly mentally locate where something is, and also to dig into it further/quickly google maps the site.
Strongly agree about the titles

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:25 PM

I will add the address to the titles for now, but when the database is created for Ottawa, the titles will be generated in the existing format by the database. I'll see if there is a way we can add and keep the address in to the titles, though!

Old Posted Today, 5:57 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
There is an open invitation for Rocketphish to be our third mod over there.

I think the other site has better potential for future growth for three reasons: modern interface, local image server, and a very supportive and responsive ownership.
While photo uploads and mobile support are better on SRC, versus SSP, those actions do not form the core of my online experience with these sites. Reading posts does. There are still too many shortcomings on SRC for me to make the move. I periodically take a look but nothing has changed. Once improvements are made I would definitely reconsider.

These are the issues I still have with SRC:

- The wayfinding and navigational experience remains terrible on SRC. There is no useful breadcrumb display or other means of easily viewing where you are currently located in the sub-forum hierarchy, nor a way to quickly move within that hierarchy to the other Ottawa-Gatineau sub-forums. Displaying "Forums > Buildings" is useless to me. What city am I looking at? What thread am I in? (on this page for example: https://skyrisecities.com/forum/thre...d.37271/page-5). I provided an example of how this issue could possibly be solved, but haven't heard any response.

- I'm still finding that the colour scheme and thin fonts used on SRC make for a difficult reading experience.

- Can the Latest Posts page be restricted to a single forum (ie. Ottawa) like it does in SSP? I'm not routinely interested in updated threads from other cities.

- And yes, I too find the thread titling scheme on SRC to be overloaded with unnecessary trivia, and lacking in key identifying data. This is poor information management (and one of the first things I would endeavour to change).

Old Posted Today, 12:54 PM
I am the law!

I like Ed over at SRC. I'd be wary about hosting images on SRC unless you have confirmation they aren't imported to their data business. Also about forum support if it no longer benefits the data business. SRC reminds me of the the evolution of Emporis. It started as a fan bulletin board. It became subscription accessible data eventually sold and repackaged with other data.

Old Posted Today, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
- The wayfinding and navigational experience remains terrible on SRC. There is no useful breadcrumb display or other means of easily viewing where you are currently located in the sub-forum hierarchy, nor a way to quickly move within that hierarchy to the other Ottawa-Gatineau sub-forums. Displaying "Forums > Buildings" is useless to me. What city am I looking at? What thread am I in? (on this page for example: https://skyrisecities.com/forum/thre...d.37271/page-5). I provided an example of how this issue could possibly be solved, but haven't heard any response.
While not perfect, the breadcrumbs do work better on the Ottawa specific site for SRC (https://ottawa.skyrisecities.com/forum/). The thread name is displayed under the breadcrumb and clicking 'forums' takes you back the the Ottawa section. Not sure why it's different on the global site, but since they launched the Ottawa specific site, this has been less of an issue for me.

Old Posted Today, 8:12 PM

This forum as well as others I belong to have an option to Go to New Post or similar. I use this feature extensively. Not seeing this option on SRC, though... Does it exist? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place for it.

Old Posted Today, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requin View Post
This forum as well as others I belong to have an option to Go to New Post or similar. I use this feature extensively. Not seeing this option on SRC, though... Does it exist? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place for it.
I haven't seen a "last page" button like ssp, but I have noticed that it will automatically go to the latest post if there's an unseen post in the thread, otherwise it will default to the first page.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion