HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 8:28 PM
Joshua B.

Not sure if anyone has had the same problem on the Arbutus Greenway, but the corridor can get absolutely packed at times and there seems to be a recent issue of runners/walkers now going to the cycling portion of the greenway. I have actually been told to dismount by pissed off walkers...in a bike lane!

I am now using the Cypress/Angus route again which sucks because the Greenway was a much safer alternative until recently.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 8:58 PM

YMMV. I've nearly been run off the pedestrian side of the greenway (and seawall) by clueless bikers, and a couple times by aggressive ones. Some people just suck.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
YMMV. I've nearly been run off the pedestrian side of the greenway (and seawall) by clueless bikers, and a couple times by aggressive ones. Some people just suck.
Uber eats guys on e-bikes are an absolute menace on Broadway sidewalks. The city has started putting "walk your ride" graphics on the sidewalk in busy areas. I have yet to see any compliance though.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 10:11 PM

Uber eats e-bikers and scooters will happen on every commercial high street sidewalk until we get even one of these streets with a bike lane

(will not happen until at least the end of ABC's reign)

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 11:12 PM

We could give every street a bike lane and there'll still be bikes on the sidewalks. Some people are just plain old entitled.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
Not sure if anyone has had the same problem on the Arbutus Greenway, but the corridor can get absolutely packed at times and there seems to be a recent issue of runners/walkers now going to the cycling portion of the greenway. I have actually been told to dismount by pissed off walkers...in a bike lane!

I am now using the Cypress/Angus route again which sucks because the Greenway was a much safer alternative until recently.
I never had a problem from anyone "intruding" on the wrong side of the Greenway, bikers or pedestrians, but it's also been a couple years since we lived a few blocks from it so perhaps it's gotten worse.

Old Posted Today, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post

The greenway needs upgrades asap. There are some intersections that are awkward and over capacity with the amount of cyclists and pedestrians all fighting to use the same space.

Old Posted Today, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
Uber eats e-bikers and scooters will happen on every commercial high street sidewalk until we get even one of these streets with a bike lane

(will not happen until at least the end of ABC's reign)
No they don't give a fuck. I'm pretty close to pushing some of them over.

Old Posted Today, 3:28 AM

The Arbutus Greenway is popular because it is very segregated from car traffic. We need more traffic segregated bike lanes like these, but the problem is that old railway right of ways, like the Arbutus Greenway are extremely rare, so building completely segregated bike/scooter lanes would be very expensive compared to regular bike lanes, but a tiny fraction of the cost of even a BRT line. When you use an E scooter or E bike in the lanes, you have a very cheap form of rapid transit that can be just as fast as driving in some circumstances.

Old Posted Today, 6:14 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
The greenway needs upgrades asap. There are some intersections that are awkward and over capacity with the amount of cyclists and pedestrians all fighting to use the same space.
I used to regularly use it from 2017-2019 with no real issues. Returned to the area in 2023 and was astonished to see how congested it is between 57th Ave to 12th Ave.

The problem is the existing greenway was always supposed to be a temporary setup until a permanent plan could be drawn up which included technical designs to incorporate a future streetcar/LRT setup. The latter is now never going to happen which means we can probably plan for a widened path that includes full separation between cyclists/pedestrian. Odds of that happening with Ken Sim? Zero.

Old Posted Today, 7:02 PM
victory in near

The District made Mount Seymour Parkway and Riverside more bike friendly by putting in new paint, large and small cement barriers, plastic post barriers, no right turns on reds and lower speed limits

I love it but the local facebook pages are full of hate (lol). I still think Seymour and Riverside is still a death trap.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure